Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (Blu-ray)
$48.95
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.46
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.85
Highlander (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #1441
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMan28 View Post
I picked one up from Best Buy yesterday, popped in Disc 1, turned on "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with all the commentary what's it's and same problem. Could not hear the commentators at all. The episode itself with character dialogue sounded fine but commentators were just silently moving their mouths.
That sounds like a typical player issue where menu sound is turned off or whatever. I forget what the option is on my Sony, but basically you have to have it turned on or certain special feature audio will not work.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #1442
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoto View Post
If you have a Sony BD player, the audio options on the home screen should have and "Interactive audio" part which should be set to "Mix".

Alternatively, you should be able to find a support page for your particular model/make and for that particular problem from a quick web search.
^
Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 AM   #1443
Power Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
That sounds like a typical player issue where menu sound is turned off or whatever. I forget what the option is on my Sony, but basically you have to have it turned on or certain special feature audio will not work.
Thanks for the tip. Found the option in my Sony's Audio Settings set to off. Turned it on and suddenly I can hear the commentators.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #1444
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

I ordered the new release, and holy Hell the inside of the case smells horrible. It's got a real strong plastic chemical smell. I could smell it when I removed the plastic wrap.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #1445

Nov 2014

I got the newly released set and there are some issues.

You cannot switch between original and remastered special effects on the fly. If you press the angle button on your remote, it seems to switch for a split second, then revert back. So the only way to switch between the effects is by going through the pop-up menu, which restarts the whole episode.

The volume on the 7.1 soundtrack is very low.

Did the original blu-rays have these issues?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #1446
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhst View Post

You cannot switch between original and remastered special effects on the fly. If you press the angle button on your remote, it seems to switch for a split second, then revert back. So the only way to switch between the effects is by going through the pop-up menu, which restarts the whole episode.

My original blu's have this same problem. And that stupid icon which isn't removable in the corner.
Massive Sell List (cheap, discounts etc)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...03&postcount=1
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #1447
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014

Quote:

Sounds like a player issue regarding the switching. Never had any issue with it.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #1448

Nov 2014

My player is a PS3. Has there been any solutions to this?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #1449
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

The volume is a little low on these, I just turn it up though so obviously no big deal. The switching works fine on my Sony player.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1450
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
My player is a PS3. Has there been any solutions to this?
At this point, an $80 Blu-ray player or a PlayStation 4 would be a good choice. Blu-ray players are much nicer (and faster) for Blu-ray playback than the PS3 nowadays.
-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #1451
Power Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
You cannot switch between original and remastered special effects on the fly. If you press the angle button on your remote, it seems to switch for a split second, then revert back. [...]

Not exactly, but I do remember pressing the angle button to toggle between old and new effects, and the PS3 took quite a while to process the request.

Maybe you're pressing the button more than once (since there's a delay) and it seems like it's reverting back, but the system's just lagging?
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1452

Jul 2016

Hey guys, first post here!

Just wondering if you guys usually go with the 7.1 surround audio track or the original mono audio?

I'm thinking of picking these up, but am I the only one who thinks the broadcast mono track would be preferable to the 7.1 remix? It just seems strange to stretch one-channel of audio to eight-channels when the show was originally intended and designed to be listened through mono.

In fact, I direct this question towards every Blu-ray. Is the modern remix really much of a step-up over the director's original intent?

I'm open to debate though. Again, new to all this, so take it easy

Last edited by Shalashaska; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #1453
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

A lot of people (like myself) always prefer the original audio tracks. Some people always want their surround speakers put to use though. It really comes down to what you care about more.
Thanks given by:
Shalashaska (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #1454

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
A lot of people (like myself) always prefer the original audio tracks. Some people always want their surround speakers put to use though. It really comes down to what you care about more.
Nice, thanks. I suppose the mono track wouldn't work with the remastered CG version of TOS, no?

I'm really not sure if I prefer the older look of the show to the remastered look.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #1455
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Nice, thanks. I suppose the mono track wouldn't work with the remastered CG version of TOS, no?

I'm really not sure if I prefer the older look of the show to the remastered look.
Haven't played these discs in a while, not sure the audio works for both or not. Some episodes do add digital extensions to scenes though that likely effect running time, so I guess the audio would be version specific? That's a really good question actually.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #1456

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbreathsanddeath View Post
My original blu's have this same problem. And that stupid icon which isn't removable in the corner.
If you're referring to the angle icon , that can be switched off in the player settings.
At least it can be on everybody's that I know.
I did hear of some el cheapo players that might have issues but if you have a decent brand you shouldn't have a problem.
My PS3 and Panasonic playback devices don't have any icons
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #1457

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Hey guys, first post here!

Just wondering if you guys usually go with the 7.1 surround audio track or the original mono audio?

I'm thinking of picking these up, but am I the only one who thinks the broadcast mono track would be preferable to the 7.1 remix? It just seems strange to stretch one-channel of audio to eight-channels when the show was originally intended and designed to be listened through mono.

In fact, I direct this question towards every Blu-ray. Is the modern remix really much of a step-up over the director's original intent?

I'm open to debate though. Again, new to all this, so take it easy
I like the 7.1 sound but the fatal problem with it on season 1 is the new version of the theme doesn't sound right.
Yes it's a perfect reproduction but if you've been listening to the original for 50 years you'll notice and I can't handle it.
The music is also mixed down lower on the 7.1 mix and is not as prominent as it should be.
The 7.1 mix on The Menagerie Part 2 has an audio error at the start of the castle scene where the correct audio track is overlaid by the wrong music for a few moments - the mono track is fine.

Mixing old audio with new visuals often presents problems as new things onscreen that have sound on the new mixes sometimes don't actually appear on the old visuals - and vice versa

Both mixes have a section of music missing in The Devil In the Dark where the Horta appears to Kirk for the first time. The alternate language tracks do include the music.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #1458
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Pretty sure you can mix and match the sound and picture versions.
Thanks given by:
eastx (Today)
Old Today, 08:01 AM   #1459

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
Not exactly, but I do remember pressing the angle button to toggle between old and new effects, and the PS3 took quite a while to process the request.

Maybe you're pressing the button more than once (since there's a delay) and it seems like it's reverting back, but the system's just lagging?
No, I can see on the bottom left corner the player will display "1." or "2." when I press the angle button. On Season 1 disc 1, the angle will change for a second then revert back to whatever option was selected first. On disc 2 and 3 now, the effects won't even change whether angle "1." or "2." are selected. Does anyone else with a PS3 and these blurays have this issue?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America