Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Equilibrium (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Scorpion: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I've been looking at the 4K for a while, waiting for a price drop (currently $13.55 vs. $6.43), but, every time I check out the BRDC caps, the older (non-4K) looks a wee bit better/sharper ... EXCEPT for the one rain shot (the one shown in the AQ section on both reviews) which is stunning - in the 4K, it looks soft but you can see both people, in the older one, the chick is invisible and looks like an outline of an alien!

Is there really much difference on a non-projection monitor - enough to justify the extra $8.24 w/tax?
Do you enjoy bonus content/special features? The "Mastered in 4K" disc has none, but the older one does. To fit all that extra PQ goodness, the new disc removed all the bonuses.

Also keep in mind the current disc isn't true 4K, those will be produced along with new 4K BD players down the road.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16752

I would say go for the less expensive version, to get the bonuses. And when a true 4K disc comes out, with a 4K player for it, then get that if you want. I wouldn't bother with the more expensive disc now, considering there's a chance it *might* come out in the future on a real 4K disc.

All current "Mastered in 4K" discs are still only 1080p. They are just slightly less compressed.
The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.
What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
3263827 | Jakku | From out of the shadows, she walks like a dream
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Thanks. Yeah, I knew about the 4K master only thing (and don't have a 4K TV anyway ). The original review goes out of its way to knock the extras. I'm not into commentary tracks & other than maybe the "fight scenes" extra, all in SD ... The new one has UV, which maybe I could sell & save a coupla bucks - if only I'd have grabbed that $10.99 price before I knew I wanted it. Weird how Martin Liebman's video score went up .5 on the 4K but his review score actually fell .5.

EDIT : Wish I could afford both versions and actually see the diff on my monitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Do you enjoy bonus content/special features? The "Mastered in 4K" disc has none, but the older one does. To fit all that extra PQ goodness, the new disc removed all the bonuses.

Also keep in mind the current disc isn't true 4K, those will be produced along with new 4K BD players down the road.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16752

I would say go for the less expensive version, to get the bonuses. And when a true 4K disc comes out, with a 4K player for it, then get that if you want. I wouldn't bother with the more expensive disc now, considering there's a chance it *might* come out in the future on a real 4K disc.

All current "Mastered in 4K" discs are still only 1080p. They are just slightly less compressed.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #83
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
EDIT : Wish I could afford both versions and actually see the diff on my monitor ...
Have you checked out the comparisons on caps-a-holic?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #84
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Yeah, thanks, Chip. they only added to my confusion.

The 4K shots certainly look bluer. Since that's a DE original, I wasn't sure about comparing because sometimes Sony uses different masters in different places and the "zoom" on the original looks greater than 2.40 to 2.39 would suggest. In the end, like I said ... confused. I only posted because I thought opinions might've coalesced and maybe that would've gotten me off this damn "I can't decide" fence.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #85
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

I saw this for the first time last month (via Netflix). The first 30 mins I was thinking it's not bad at all, I'm not sure why everyone trashes it. Then the movie pretty much takes a dump on itself and it drags with the cheesiest dialogue, poor CGI, and uninteresting characters. I could only watch 20 mins at a time after that, and it took me like 2 weeks to finally finish it. I don't even know why they called this Godzilla, that so wasn't Godzilla. I guess "Kimodo" just wouldnt have the same mass appeal as Big G.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #86
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Yeah, thanks, Chip. they only added to my confusion.
Keep an eye out for the UK Mastered in 4K Steelbook. It's £5.99 now!
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #87
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I've been looking at the 4K for a while, waiting for a price drop (currently $13.55 vs. $6.43), but, every time I check out the BRDC caps, the older (non-4K) looks a wee bit better/sharper ... EXCEPT for the one rain shot (the one shown in the AQ section on both reviews) which is stunning - in the 4K, it looks soft but you can see both people, in the older one, the chick is invisible and looks like an outline of an alien!

Is there really much difference on a non-projection monitor - enough to justify the extra $8.24 w/tax?
Here is a post from: Anamorphic Widescreen stating their opinion about the 4K master of Gozilla (1998) in this thread :

Got the Godzilla '98 4K Blu yesterday - haven't had a chance to watch the whole film, but have seen bits & pieces. And, I'm extremely impressed by the PQ - amazing. Glad I paid several more dollars to get the 4K release over the 2009 Blu release. As I've mentioned before, this is my favorite Godzilla film (haven't seen the 2014 version yet, but know I won't like it as much since I don't like the snapping-turtle appearance of Godzilla in that film).

At some point down the road, I'll probably end up getting a 4K HD set (not anytime soon), and I'm sure the film will look even bette on a 4K set.

Thanks again to everyone who recommended I get this 4K version. As I've probably said before, this site is the de-facto "Consumer reports for Blu-rays".

Re: the film itself, it's funny to note that the Mayor & his assistant?! bear an obvious resemblance to the late film critics Siskel & Ebert, and even bicker like those two used to when discussing films..

It's also interesting that, like a lot of monster/alien attack films I've seen, the actors/actresses in the main roles are almost incidental...specifically in the case of Godzilla '98, I initially didn't like that M. Broderick was playing a dramatic role in this film (since I associated him with more comedic roles like F.B.'s Day off). However, it didn't really matter who acted in the film, since the real star of the movie was the Godzilla creature itself....and his/her offspring (the little lizards)...
Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 11-25-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
The 4K looks notiably more defined and better overall IMO.
It seems to be like MiB and MiB mastered in 4K. I would defintely go for the Mi4K disc, if I liked the film.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.), Death Becomes Her R. Z.,Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Fierce Creatures (John Cleese, E. I., J.L.Curtis)Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #89
Power Member

May 2011
Crossville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I saw this for the first time last month (via Netflix). The first 30 mins I was thinking it's not bad at all, I'm not sure why everyone trashes it. Then the movie pretty much takes a dump on itself and it drags with the cheesiest dialogue, poor CGI, and uninteresting characters. I could only watch 20 mins at a time after that, and it took me like 2 weeks to finally finish it. I don't even know why they called this Godzilla, that so wasn't Godzilla. I guess "Kimodo" just wouldnt have the same mass appeal as Big G.
Yes the cgi is very poor by todays standards but back in 98 it was like the coolest thing ever to see a realistic looking Godzilla on the screen.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #90

May 2014

Quote:
Agreed. Unfortunately, the 2014 version felt flat to me too
Old 05-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #91
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime-Rox View Post
Yes the cgi is very poor by todays standards but back in 98 it was like the coolest thing ever to see a realistic looking Godzilla on the screen.
It was awesome and the CGI was state of the art for its time. However the movie itself was/is a disgrace to the Godzilla name.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #92
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Keep an eye out for the UK Mastered in 4K Steelbook. It's £5.99 now!
It's sold out.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Old 05-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #93
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008

This thread's got me nostalgic about this movie, haven't seen it since VHS but when it first came out I thought it was the greatest movie ever (I was 8...). Wouldn't mind picking up the 4K disc on the cheap, just to see how well (or not) the movie holds up.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #94
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
It was awesome and the CGI was state of the art for its time. However the movie itself was/is a disgrace to the Godzilla name.
The flight scenes (when the jets are fying through the city shooting at Godzilla) were really poor. I thought Independence Day's flying sequences looked much more realistic. Other aspects of the CGI like Godzilla (and his kids), or some of the famous landmarks they destroy, werent that bad
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #95
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
It's sold out.
Sorry, I'm not sure if it's been sold out for a while or it's gone recently. I wouldn't have posted a OOS deal on purpose! I didn't notice the Sold Out tag when looking for the link earlier.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #96
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
It's sold out.
There are a ton of copies on eBay, some are relatively cheap (under $30).
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #97
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Idaho

Quote:
The flight scenes (when the jets are fying through the city shooting at Godzilla) were really poor. I thought Independence Day's flying sequences looked much more realistic. Other aspects of the CGI like Godzilla (and his kids), or some of the famous landmarks they destroy, werent that bad
11 year old me was impressed with the special effects but I haven't given it another watch in a few years so I could be wrong about the awesome effects.

Another fun fact, this was the first movie I experienced geek rage over.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #98
Expert Member

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

I think the improvement in video is worth sacrificing the extras for. IMO, there is more than enough upgrade between the two versions to go for the 4k. Here's a good shot for comparison, the rain on the hood is much more defined and the writing on the side of the cab door is also clearer. Sure, some of the night scenes are a bit more bluer but this movie has plenty more well-lit scenes that benefit in the 4k version.

I've certainly come a long way from when I was younger. I remember when the Superbit DVDs came out and I would go for the regular version because they had extras. Now I care more about PQ/AQ than anything else.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #99
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Always liked this horrible movie...great surroun sound. And the "4k" is more defined and clear.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Samsung pn51f8500, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #100
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008

Impulse-bought this with a gift card yesterday and watched the first 30 minutes or so. Most of it looks amazing (and the movie holds up, surprisingly), but isolated shots here and there look like DVD. Specifically, a couple of shots with Jean Reno in the hospital when they ask the Japanese cook what he saw. What's up with those?

2015 list
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America