Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: What Did You Think Of Oblivion?
1 Star 4 1.70%
2 Stars 14 5.96%
3 Stars 41 17.45%
4 Stars 138 58.72%
5 Stars 38 16.17%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #581
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea

Back from a matinee viewing. I was the only person in the theater (the best way to see any movie).

Really liked it. 4/5
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S590 player (BDP-S5100 region free shipped); Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Sony SS-B1000 fronts (Polk Monitor 45B's shipped); Polk RM8 center (Polk Monitor 15C shipped); Pyle 3" mini cube surrounds (Polk T15's shipped); Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 (with a HT-R592 receiver, HTP-591 7.1 HT speaker system)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #582
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

I just saw it so I came hear to read people's opinions.... and is it me or do the biggest people who love b!tching and moaning about things spend more time posting than the biggest fans of something combined? I can't imagine wasting my time by making 100 posts in a thread about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #583
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
I just saw it so I came hear to read people's opinions.... and is it me or do the biggest people who love b!tching and moaning about things spend more time posting than the biggest fans of something combined? I can't imagine wasting my time by making 100 posts in a thread about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
Well, first you need to let us know of what opinion you have before we can decide if you are being a hypocrite or not.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #584

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
Send a message via MSN to Toxa

Tom retrieving his face again for "All you need is kill"

glad to see tom still young next year
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #585
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

wow Iron man III killed this. Might not even make it to $90 million in the US now
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #586
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
You should have been around for the Prometheus thread
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #587

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
wow Iron man III killed this. Might not even make it to $90 million in the US now

$205,972,000 worldwide so far

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #588
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa View Post
$205,972,000 worldwide so far
Well that's not very good considering it had at least a $120 million budget and Tom Cruise also gets a hefty chunk of the profits. Wonder if this would have done better at another time of the year.
At least this isnt a film where a sequel is in jeopardy or anything.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #589

Sep 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa View Post
Tom retrieving his face again for "All you need is kill"

glad to see tom still young next year
HOORAY! It's Tom, circa 2005 all over again! This man never ages!
On Pre-order:
Captain Phillips (Steelbook)
Iron Man 3 (Steelbook)
Olympus Has Fallen (Steelbook)
Rush (Steelbook)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #590

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
Well that's not very good considering it had at least a $120 million budget and Tom Cruise also gets a hefty chunk of the profits. Wonder if this would have done better at another time of the year.
At least this isnt a film where a sequel is in jeopardy or anything.
Yeah sadly but it could have been worse

Cloud Atlas

Budget $102 million
Box office $130,482,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
HOORAY! It's Tom, circa 2005 all over again! This man never ages!

LMAO

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #591

Jul 2012

Question about the plot.
[Show spoiler]Morgan Freeman said that 1000 Jack's came out of the ship and started killing people. So clearly the Jack's were aware of each other and were okay slaughtering humans. Why did it matter if they knew this later? The only reason I can come up with is they started humanizing before so they made them think they were humans but its never said in the film. Plus I thought Freeman said #49 was the first to humanize.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #592
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepawn View Post
Question about the plot.
[Show spoiler]Morgan Freeman said that 1000 Jack's came out of the ship and started killing people. So clearly the Jack's were aware of each other and were okay slaughtering humans. Why did it matter if they knew this later? The only reason I can come up with is they started humanizing before so they made them think they were humans but its never said in the film. Plus I thought Freeman said #49 was the first to humanize.
[Show spoiler]I think that the goal of the machine here was to make sure they were extremely motivated. As far as they know, the survival of humankind as a whole depends on them making sure that the energy collectors for the Titan Base are protected.
Also, as far as we know, the 1000s of Jack who assaulted humanity were entirely different Jacks and were disposed off after the Tet won, or all died when (if) humans used Nuclaear weapons. This being said, the whole Nuclear weapon thing was the excuse used by the Tet to justify the existence of the Radiation zones, soh who knows if we used any at all?.
What I was really wondering was, why use human clones at all to attack Earth, when the Tet had (apparently) thousands of deadly and ultra sophisticated drones, probably on top of some form of Orbital weapon.

My conclusion so far is that hundreds or thousands of drones might have been destroyed in the process (we have seen that they are far from indestriuctible, though very deadly), and I really do think with what we have seen that the Tet places a very high value on the "life" of a Drone, which could contain an AI deemed far more valuable than a human life. HEck, for all we knoa, a Drone -is- a member of the Tet race.

So double objective:
- Being frugal on the number of AIs put on the frontline to save aas many as possible
- Demoralization factor in seeing humans that are suposed to be our best and brightest come back by the thousands and using nightmarish weapons to annihilate us.

Also, the irony, if you think about it: Humans use *Drones* to perform long range attacks, in order to avoid wasting human lives by putting troops on the ground. Here, we have the exact opposite, Machines putting Humans on the ground to avoid wasting Drone lives

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #593

Aug 2011
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
[Show spoiler]I think that the goal of the machine here was to make sure they were extremely motivated. As far as they know, the survival of humankind as a whole depends on them making sure that the energy collectors for the Titan Base are protected.
Also, as far as we know, the 1000s of Jack who assaulted humanity were entirely different Jacks and were disposed off after the Tet won, or all died when (if) humans used Nuclaear weapons. This being said, the whole Nuclear weapon thing was the excuse used by the Tet to justify the existence of the Radiation zones, soh who knows if we used any at all?.
What I was really wondering was, why use human clones at all to attack Earth, when the Tet had (apparently) thousands of deadly and ultra sophisticated drones, probably on top of some form of Orbital weapon.

My conclusion so far is that hundreds or thousands of drones might have been destroyed in the process (we have seen that they are far from indestriuctible, though very deadly), and I really do think with what we have seen that the Tet places a very high value on the "life" of a Drone, which could contain an AI deemed far more valuable than a human life. HEck, for all we knoa, a Drone -is- a member of the Tet race.

So double objective:
- Being frugal on the number of AIs put on the frontline to save aas many as possible
- Demoralization factor in seeing humans that are suposed to be our best and brightest come back by the thousands and using nightmarish weapons to annihilate us.

Also, the irony, if you think about it: Humans use *Drones* to perform long range attacks, in order to avoid wasting human lives by putting troops on the ground. Here, we have the exact opposite, Machines putting Humans on the ground to avoid wasting Drone lives

Maybe
[Show spoiler]using the clones in the attack was itself an experiment. I guess if it didn't work out using the clones, the Tet knew it would be easy enough to use the drones to clean up. I mean in the world we live in humans have been experimenting with artificial intelligence for years in trying to replicate the human brain, so I guess the Tet could experiment to see whether or not human instinct or intuition would give any kind of advantage in battle.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #594
Expert Member

Mar 2013

I saw this yesterday, and liked it even more than I expected to. I'm surprised at the generally tepid response it received. A good sci-fi film all around.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #595

Sep 2009
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
I saw this yesterday, and liked it even more than I expected to. I'm surprised at the generally tepid response it received. A good sci-fi film all around.

Same here. I thought it would have gotten better word of mouth business in the US. Critic reviews were mixed but everyone I have talked to really liked the movie.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #596
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Ireland

Loved the art direction on this movie. You can see Kosinski has an eye for detail with his Architectural background. Quite liked the soundtrack too.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #597
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepawn View Post
Question about the plot.
Excellent question and observation simultaneously! My rationalization is as follows...

[Show spoiler]One of two things likely happened. Either the 1000 clones completed their mission (irradicating the threat) and returned to the TET where they were reinstated into hibernation for future use, or the TET simply temporarily programmed the drones to destroy all Humans INCLUDING the Jacks.

Another possibility is that the Jacks were used to build the "hydra-suckers" and then were all disposed of.

But, it's obvious that the TET would have had a contingency plan for not having 1000 Jacks running around on the planet. That would be highly inefficient.

As for them being okay with slaughtering humans? Jus look to history for many examples of large demographics being brainwashed to believe they are doing the right thing by supporting and partaking in some form of war. With only one mind to brainwash, it's easy to form an army to achieve your goal.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 05-13-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #598
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

My rating >>> 4/5 stars
I really enjoyed it.

P.S.: You gotta love that swimming pool!...gorgeous cinematography and art direction.

Last edited by amoergosum; 07-24-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #599
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

3/5 stars. Slightly disappointed. Wanted more. A LOT more.

Kosinski has an amazing visual style. Easy competes with some of the top dog directors but he should hire someone to write the scripts. Writing seems to be a weak point of his. However, with his eye and A+ writers this guy could easily pump-out classic after classic film.

How fast everything was given away after Jack meets the humans was a huge negative. I really wanted a lot of dialogue between them and Jack. Also, Jack's struggle with knowing he's not really a human. <----those 2 points should have been the film's 'meaty' section. Instead, we get everything explained in a few scenes and *poof*. The very slow buildup in the beginning should have been shortened and replaced with more of the story.

[Show spoiler]"F*** you Sally."

Last edited by Offender_Mullet; 08-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies