Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #1661

Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
He's looking up through the glass top of the elevator as he leaves the building.
Nope, stars don't move that way just by looking at the sky even on a lift, that was the classic "warp tunnel" you can see in old Star Trek and other scifi with the stars changing perspective to show the ship is currently in FTL travel (as that would be impossible to notice at sublight speed), and the way the lift is positioned wouldn' let to see the sky anyway, then it cuts to Batty inside the lift but that was him remembering.

That or they have some sort of screensaver on the ceiling of their lifts at Tyrell corporation, who knows?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #1662
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
Nope, stars don't move that way just by looking at the sky even on a lift, that was the classic "warp tunnel" you can see in old Star Trek and other scifi with the stars changing perspective to show the ship is currently in FTL travel (as that would be impossible to notice at sublight speed), and the way the lift is positioned wouldn' let to see the sky anyway, then it cuts to Batty inside the lift but that was him remembering.

That or they have some sort of screensaver on the ceiling of their lifts at Tyrell corporation, who knows?
Not stars. Rain.

You're overthinking it. He's shown looking up. We see what he sees. Then it cuts back to him turning his head down again.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #1663

Jan 2014
Italy

Quote:
Not stars. Rain.

You're overthinking it. He's shown looking up. We see what he sees. Then it cuts back to him turning his head down again.
Doesn't look like rain to me, I think raindrops would hit the glass if he was able to see it from the ceiling and that doesn't happen, not only that but the rain seems to be left behind, that must be a really fast lift.

We see what he sees but that doesn't mean that what he sees is "real".
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #1664
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Fast lift, or rain gets caught in updrafts, which happens.

There is more to it on a thematic level, but not the way you're suggesting... it's referencing Batty's fall from grace, sort of a "fallen angel" motif, IMO.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #1665

Jan 2014
Italy

Quote:
Fast lift, or rain gets caught in updrafts, which happens.

There is more to it on a thematic level, but not the way you're suggesting... it's referencing Batty's fall from grace, sort of a "fallen angel" motif, IMO.
I actually thought he was taking the Tyrell's suggestion of revelling in the memories he had (though perhaps unconsciously), which tied in nicely with his tears in the rain speech IMHO, it might also be a bit of both.

Last edited by Det. Bullock; 03-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #1666
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Because of this thread, and all the discussion about voice over vs no voice over, I just watched the theatrical and the Final Cut back to back.

Here's my two cents;

As a newbie to all things BR, with no bias or childhood memories to tie me to one over the other, I feel the movie works both ways. That said, if a film works without a voiceover/narration, isn't it best to go without?

I always assumed a voiceover was a crutch, or handicap, to help push along a story if needed (Carlitos Way). So of course a voiceover in BR works. I bet a voiceover would work in The Shining (they could have had lil Danny Torrence narrate a voiceover throughout The Shining). The question would still be, "Is it needed?"

Ask that question of any movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America