Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #341
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoni71 View Post
Off topic:
Does anyone know why the hell the BDA didn't allow 1080/25p in the Blu-ray specifications?
It couldn't possibly be a bit-rate problem since there's just 1,024 frames more, for every second, than in 1080/24p.
The only possible reason I can think of is that they wanted to discourage 50hz countries from doing the same thing they do with dvds (speeding the video and audio to 25 fps).
The BDA represents the concerns of major American film studios and the Asian hardware manufacturers. Content produced for European television was a distant consideration for those entities.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #342
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jorgens View Post
Not true
In what way? Some U.S. players do framerate conversion; if so the TV doesn't have to be 50Hz-compatible. Otherwise, I'd say he's absolutely right; a U.S. PS3, for one, will not play 50Hz content at all.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, TMT 3, 5 & 6, PDVD 11, Nero 11
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch (PC also has Hanns-G HL227 & Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers)
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #343

Feb 2012

Nick @ nite is airing the show again starting tonight. I guess the HD broadcasts from it and Abc Family will have to do for now.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #344
Banned

Mar 2014

No APRIL FOOLS JOKE HERE - FINALLY the discs arrived from Germany - the post office sux for how long they take.

Will be posting a review later, but for now a description of the appearance of the discs
___
Season 1 is white with a huge red 1 for disc 1 and a huge red 2 for disc 2 on them.

at the top of each number the title is listed as Die wilden Siebziger!

to the right and below that in red says staffel 1

and below that is a green circle inside a green square that that says FSK ati 12

below that is 29171

at the top of each number the title is listed as Die wilden Siebziger!

to the right and below that in blue says staffel 1

and below that is a green circle inside a green square that that says FSK ati 12

below that is 29172
_______

Last edited by s.jorgens; 04-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #345
Banned

Mar 2014

I am by know means a video or audiophile, I am an everyday person who enjoys high quality shows and blu-rays. I will skip the review about the show because IF you are reading this you know about the plot already.

I was sent a copy of the 1st 2 seasons by the production company from Germany.

MENU:
Has German language but is easy to navigate even if you do not know German by using common sense as to where each section is at. The song playing in background appears to be the song from season 2 and beyond (not the 1st season variant of the theme song. The background is the kids jumping up and down (sorta like the scene bumpers from the tv show) but hidden within the lush colorscape.

AUDIO:
Has German & English subs available and 2.0 Master Audio that is truer to the original American & German tv broadcasts than the Mill Creek releases. The show being dialog driven is very crisp and easy to understand and also the audio pitch is perfect no "PAL speedup" is noticed on the English audio. The music that plays in the background is very crisp and according to Tiberius the music is the same as German tv broadcast, now IF their are music subs I do not know because I wached the episodes and in a few spots I noticed song differences, but not having watched the series during its original broadcast run, I do not know which version (Tiberius or Mill Creek) has the most original music.

VIDEO:
The German episodes are all uncut. The Mill Creek episodes do appear a bit brighter (1 or 2 shades) then the Tiberius versions, but the Tiberius ones to me feel more like the 70s would appear on film. Now the German video is 1080i and suprsingly to me is just as rock solid as the 1080p Mill Creek releases. Actually in some of the video it has more fine detail in the German release over the Mill Creek release. I found no instances of aliasing or compression artifacts in the German release.

EXTRAS:
These are the same as the American version.

ON SCREEN:
The opening titles are in German and when they list the day and time onscreen it's stylized in German words. Also when there are onscreen words during the scene they are also in German as well. The starting and end credits are all in English.

CONCLUSION:
A very solid relase by Tiberius and for any consumer it would be a great addition along side their Mill Creek versions of Season 1 & 2.

Last edited by s.jorgens; 04-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #346

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
So how does that play on a 60Hz US set? Something must be going on to get from 50fps to 60Hz.
You will need to rip the discs and play them back on a proper device (like a PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoni71 View Post
Off topic:
Does anyone know why the hell the BDA didn't allow 1080/25p in the Blu-ray specifications?
It couldn't possibly be a bit-rate problem since there's just 1,024 frames more, for every second, than in 1080/24p.
The only possible reason I can think of is that they wanted to discourage 50hz countries from doing the same thing they do with dvds (speeding the video and audio to 25 fps).
They were probably trying to discourage Europeans from engaging in their stupid framerate conversions.

Unfortunately, it seems the Europeans would rather have interlaced video than adopt the proper framerate that the civilized world uses.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #347

Aug 2011

Quote:
VIDEO:
Now the German video is 1080i and suprsingly to me is just as rock solid as the 1080p Mill Creek releases. Actually in some of the video it has more fine detail in the German release over the Mill Creek release.

Lossless screenshots please, or I don't believe it.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #348
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

Lossless screenshots please, or I don't believe it.
I do not lie and if I had the equipment to post screenshots on here I would.

I watched and compared the 2 releases using an OPPO BDP93 & on an LG TV 50LN5400
Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #349
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
You will need to rip the discs and play them back on a proper device (like a PC).

They were probably trying to discourage Europeans from engaging in their stupid framerate conversions.

Unfortunately, it seems the Europeans would rather have interlaced video than adopt the proper framerate that the civilized world uses.
That is not the reason why the release is 1080i it is because Tiberius was provided the German TV HD masters and since 1080p is not using for tv broadcasts, is why these releases were 1080i
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #350
Banned

Mar 2014

also I submitted my season 1 review to the lising on blu-ray.com BUT the system is royally screwed up and could not submit the review for seson 2
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #351
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
The Mill Creek episodes do appear a bit brighter then the Tiberius versions, but the Tiberius ones to me feel more like the 70s would appear on film.
This bothers me a bit. Does everything these days have to be "dark and moody"? This is a tv sitcom for crying out loud. It's always been bright and colorful, and that's how it should always be on blu-ray. Not darker to look moody. This isn't Rocky. I hate overly-dark transfers.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #352
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
This bothers me a bit. Does everything these days have to be "dark and moody"? This is a tv sitcom for crying out loud. It's always been bright and colorful, and that's how it should always be on blu-ray. Not darker to look moody. This isn't Rocky. I hate overly-dark transfers.
I never said was dark, I only said the Mill Creek transfers was brighter and it is only by 1 or 2 shades
Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #353
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
I never said was dark, I only said the Mill Creek transfers was brighter and it is only by 1 or 2 shades
That's fine. But if Mill Creek is brighter, then that means the German ones are darker. And since I think the Mill Creek episodes look fantastic, and not over-bright, then to me that means the German ones are a step too dark. It's all a matter of preference, and I'd love to see some screenshots.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #354

May 2010
Germany

@s.jorgens
One episode from season 2 on the US release has a lot of upscaled SD footage in it, at least 1/4 of the episode I think. I don't remember which one but it was on disc 1. Can you check if these scenes are also upscaled on the German release, please?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #355
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
That's fine. But if Mill Creek is brighter, then that means the German ones are darker. And since I think the Mill Creek episodes look fantastic, and not over-bright, then to me that means the German ones are a step too dark. It's all a matter of preference, and I'd love to see some screenshots.
not correct, the Mill Creek ones have the brightness un-natural - I did not want to be insulting to Mill Creek when compared theres to the German ones.

When you watch the German ones you will be able to see for yourselves which transfer was more natural and Carsey Werner handled both transfers / made them.

Last edited by s.jorgens; 04-04-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #356
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
@s.jorgens
One episode from season 2 on the US release has a lot of upscaled SD footage in it, at least 1/4 of the episode I think. I don't remember which one but it was on disc 1. Can you check if these scenes are also upscaled on the German release, please?
I see from blu-ray.com it is episode 2 of season 2, I will compare that episode tonight and will psit tomorrow my findings

Last edited by s.jorgens; 04-04-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #357
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
@s.jorgens
I checked and no such problems on the German blu-ray release that the Mill Creek one had
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America