Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Liberty (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Scorpion: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #461

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Both the Taviani and the Jacquot collections look like essential purchases. Very excited!
Indeed. I must admit I was not much of a fan of Kaos on it's initial release back in the 1980's but am more than prepared to give it another go.

Of the Jacquot triple I am most excited about Keep It Quiet. Wonderful film and I think the only teaming to date of Isabelle Huppert & Fabrice Luchini two of my favourite French actors. I haven't see the other two Jacquot films but am very eager to. He is one of the most interesting directors working in France during the last 20 years or so.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #462
Power Member

Mar 2010

Hoping for a The Old Dark House Bluray release.

Not sure if they start releasing Buster Keaton at 4k if I'll double dip. Rather hope they release some titles not out on Bluray yet. Get tired of seeing so many re-releases. I like getting a better image, but there are so many other great films still not on Bluray.

Little late to the party here, but just ordered the following:

Thief of Bagdad
Two Men in Manhatten
That Man From Rio
Jamacia Inn

Interested in:

The Damned
Queen Margot
The Beauty and The Devil
Blancanieves
Vivien Leigh Anniversary Collection

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #463
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned User View Post
Hoping for a The Old Dark House Bluray release.
You and me both, but I don't think Cohen has it. At least it's not listed under "Films" at cohenfilmcollection.net . Neither is Sirk's Lured (thinking of another old Kino DVD that needs a Blu-ray upgrade).

[snippage]

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
Hangmen Also Die! (Fritz Lang)
Tristana (Luis Buñuel)
Intolerance (D.W. Griffith)
Amen. and Capital (Costa-Gavras)
"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP

In memory of my sister, Beej: April 15, 1944 - August 25, 2015. A movie fan to the last.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #464
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
You and me both, but I don't think Cohen has it. At least it's not listed under "Films" at cohenfilmcollection.net .
From the Kino Lorber thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLime View Post
Yes, The Old Dark House is with (Cohen).
It was among the films included in a large PDF catalog the label had on their website in 2013, but a cursory search of their site didn't show said PDF catalog.
Thanks given by:
jayembee (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #465
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
You and me both, but I don't think Cohen has it. At least it's not listed under "Films" at cohenfilmcollection.net . Neither is Sirk's Lured (thinking of another old Kino DVD that needs a Blu-ray upgrade).
Cohen don't list all their films on their site anymore (there used to be a PDF catalog). They have them listed at Park Circus though
Thanks given by:
jayembee (08-13-2015), NoirFan (08-13-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #466
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

Not only is The Old Dark House with Cohen so are these two
Behind Locked Doors
Railroaded
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #467
Power Member

Mar 2010

The Old Dark House a new restoration has been making the rounds recently at film festivals. Watched my DVD again last night and its such a great movie all around, but is extremely blurry and muddled. I believe the DVD came from the original restoration which was made a long time ago. There have been a ton of advancedments since then in restoration and cleanup tools.

Quote:

[snippage]

Hangmen Also Die! (Fritz Lang)
Tristana (Luis Buñuel)
Intolerance (D.W. Griffith)
Amen. and Capital (Costa-Gavras)
Thanks!. Had never even heard of Tristana. Buñuel and Deneuve was a no brainer. Will probably pick up intolerance and Langs film later.

Love to see some of these restored and released by Cohen as well :

Their Fattie Arbuckle films.
Scandal in Paris -Douglas Sirk
Vampyre
Demnetia
Long Pants & The Strong Man- Harry Langdon films directed by Frank Capra
WaxWorks 1924. (Who owns The Man Who Laughs Universal ?)
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #468
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Two Men in Town Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17429

Quote:
The Cohen Media Group will release on Blu-ray José Giovanni's classic film Two Men in Town (1973), starring Jean Gabin, Alain Delon, Mimsy Farmer, Victor Lanoux, and Cécile Vassort. The release will be available for purchase on November 10.

A hard-boiled crime drama and an impassioned indictment of capital punishment, Two Men in Town is the third and final on-screen collaboration between Jean Gabin (Grand Illusion; Pepe Le Moko), France's pre-eminent film star, and '70s Gallic anti-hero Alain Delon (Flic Story; Purple Noon). After an early release arranged by prison reformer Germain Cazeneuve (Gabin), ex-safe cracker Gino Strabliggi (Delon) is devastated by personal tragedy and banned, by statue, from returning to Paris. At Cazeneuve's urging, Gino makes a new start in the south of France, finds honest work as a printer and new love in the form of Lucie (Mimsy Farmer - More), a beautiful bank officer. But when vengeful cops start to stalk him, and Gino's ex-gang starts eyeing Lucy's bank, Gino's determination to go straight is pushed to the breaking point.

Written and directed by author Jose Giovanni (Le Trou), a real pardoned death row inmate, Two Men in Town fuses the two-fisted social commentary of Warner Bros' 1930s heyday with the naturalistic storytelling of '70s French noir cinema. Two Men in Town features a hauntingly evocative score by Phillipe Sarde (The Tenant). NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM PATHE.
Pro-B
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #469
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011

anyone see Two Men in Town? just watched the trailer....looks like it's more of a drama than a crime caper flick.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #470
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear73 View Post
anyone see Two Men in Town? just watched the trailer....looks like it's more of a drama than a crime caper flick.
It should be noted that this is the second release of Cohen's with that title. Are you thinking of the following?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Two-Me...lu-ray/127339/
"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP

In memory of my sister, Beej: April 15, 1944 - August 25, 2015. A movie fan to the last.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #471
Expert Member

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear73 View Post

Two Men in Town/Deux Hommes dans la Ville is a surprisingly good drama from Jose Giovanni, whose own prison experiences were the basis of Jacques Becker's Le Trou. The same sense of working from first-hand knowledge is omnipresent in this drama about Alain Delon's paroled convict trying to start a new life with the help of prison educator Jean Gabin and almost making a go of it until Michel Bouquet's local flic goes all Inspector Javert on him and does everything in his power to engineer his return to crime. Despite some hairspray style slo-mo montages and some awkward construction in the middle, the film manages to make it's potentially cliched story both involving and convincing, not least because of Giovanni's great sense of place and motion, with his fluid camerawork particularly striking.

Gabin is more engaged by the material than usual at this stage in his career and Delon is surprisingly good, especially in his all too convincing final scene, while a young Gerard Depardieu turns up in a couple of scenes offering three generations of iconic Gallic cinematic losers in one film. The crusading tone of the last third is a tad heavy, but the ending - both ritually stylised and yet realistically performed - makes its point far better than the courtroom speeches.

Kino's DVD of this was a less than outstanding standards conversion, so it'll be nice to see this cleaned up. I'm assuming it's the same restoration that Pathe just released in France.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Thanks given by:
Banned User (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #472
Power Member

Mar 2010

Really enjoying Cohen's releases.

That Man From Rio was a delight, though I haven't watched the second movie yet.
Thief of Bagdad is always amazing and looks really great and Tristana was excellent as well. Purchased The Damned too. Worth it just for the scene Hitchcock had to see and steal for Psycho, but the whole film is great.

Got Two Men in Manhatten and Hangmen also Die, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

Going to order some of their newer titles. Two Men in Town looks really interesting. Anyone here see Queen Margot? Any impressions?

In the House Also looks interesting from the trailer I saw on one of the discs.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #473

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned User View Post
Anyone here see Queen Margot? Any impressions?
It's easily my favorite film that Cohen has ever released. Absolutely gorgeous release all over. Isabelle Adjani is a revelation. It's just an epic in every sense of the word. It's a bit long but man, it is engrossing and one of those you don't want to pause, but have to, to take a bathroom break.

Go for it. I rarely make recommendations but I give this a particularly high one.
Thanks given by:
Banned User (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #474
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

THE BENOIT JACQUOT BLU-RAY COLLECTION TRAILER

Pro-B
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #475
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17494

Quote:
The Cohen Media Group has sent us a brand new trailer for the recent restoration of acclaimed director Patrice Leconte's film Felix and Lola (2001), starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, Philippe Torreton, Alain Bashung, and Didier Cauchy.

Felix and Lola is expected to be announced for Blu-ray release later this year.

Synopsis: Felix (Philippe Torreton, Presumed Guilty), a fairground worker, meets Lola (Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nymphomaniac), a mysterious girl who is being stalked by her ex-lover. It isn't long before Felix falls for Lola, and has to decide how far he will go to protect the women he loves. Cinematography by Jean-Marie Dreujou (The Girl on the Bridge).
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; Today at 02:12 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors