Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Life of Pi 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Knick: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #2181
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I'm not really up on the Avatar exclusivity thing, I didn't like the movie much and ignore 3D anyway. I am just saying Fox not combining the two into yet another edition makes plenty of sense to me. They would like you to buy both after all, and I don't think there is a market right now for another edition of Avatar with both included.

And yes, these two could come to UBD only if that format takes off like a rocket or Fox feels extremely motivated to push UBD. I just don't think either of those things have any chance in hell of happening.

I'm not saying any of this antagonistically, it's just my evaluation of the market.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #2182
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I'm not really up on the Avatar exclusivity thing, I didn't like the movie much and ignore 3D anyway. I am just saying Fox not combining the two into yet another edition makes plenty of sense to me. They would like you to buy both after all, and I don't think there is a market right now for another edition of Avatar with both included.

And yes, these two could come to UBD only if that format takes off like a rocket or Fox feels extremely motivated to push UBD. I just don't think either of those things have any chance in hell of happening.

I'm not saying any of this antagonistically, it's just my evaluation of the market.
You continue to completely miss the larger point about the role corporate politics (and likely, in JC's case, ego and the power of the "biggest" director of all time) plays in these decisions which you, in my opinion, instead are naively saying/intimating are dictated by logic and consumer demand.

At a time when the highest-grossing film of all time was in high demand for a wide BD release, Fox declined doing so. It was instead released as a bundled exclusive with a corporate partner. The cottage industry around the Avatar 3D BD got so bad Amazon started restricting stores' ability to list it for sale before that trend by Amazon became more common with TV box sets due to piracy. Just because you didn't pay attention to what happened there doesn't mean it's not a highly probative look at the way Fox operates as far as home video is concerned. (One could draw similar conclusions about what they're currently choosing to not release but instead license to Twilight Time and other boutiques.)

I just disagree with your "evaluation" of the market. The fact that you willfully "ignore" certain arguably telling aspects of that market speaks loudly about the accuracy of your "evaluations."

I don't know why you say that you doubt any studio will have titles at UHD BD launch. But I think it's perhaps a blind spot in your analysis. Title announcements are a huge part of a new format launch. These titles could very well be announced at UHD BD launch. Given JC's relationship with Panny, these titles could be part of an exclusive Panny bundle available only to those who purchase certain models of Panny UHD / 4k display. The titles' absence on 1080 BD would leverage their attractiveness on UHD BD. This is not unprecedented territory given what happened with Avatar and all the same players. Each of these eventualities is just as if not more likely at this point than this idea of yours that these titles absolutely positively will be released on 1080 BD.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; Today at 08:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
rickah88 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 11:24 PM   #2183
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
You continue to completely miss the larger point about the role corporate politics (and likely, in JC's case, ego and the power of the "biggest" director of all time) plays in these decisions which you, in my opinion, instead are naively saying/intimating are dictated by logic and consumer demand.

At a time when the highest-grossing film of all time was in high demand for a wide BD release, Fox declined doing so. It was instead released as a bundled exclusive with a corporate partner. The cottage industry around the Avatar 3D BD got so bad Amazon started restricting stores' ability to list it for sale before that trend by Amazon became more common with TV box sets due to piracy. Just because you didn't pay attention to what happened there doesn't mean it's not a highly probative look at the way Fox operates as far as home video is concerned. (One could draw similar conclusions about what they're currently choosing to not release but instead license to Twilight Time and other boutiques.)

I just disagree with your "evaluation" of the market. The fact that you willfully "ignore" certain arguably telling aspects of that market speaks loudly about the accuracy of your "evaluations."

I don't know why you say that you doubt any studio will have titles at UHD BD launch. But I think it's perhaps a blind spot in your analysis. Title announcements are a huge part of a new format launch. These titles could very well be announced at UHD BD launch. Given JC's relationship with Panny, these titles could be part of an exclusive Panny bundle available only to those who purchase certain models of Panny UHD / 4k display. The titles' absence on 1080 BD would leverage their attractiveness on UHD BD. This is not unprecedented territory given what happened with Avatar and all the same players. Each of these eventualities is just as if not more likely at this point than this idea of yours that these titles absolutely positively will be released on 1080 BD.
The money.....as is consumer confidence, throw away income and the ever-slumping economy just isn't there to support 4K in any big way. Certainly not physical media. People like their ipads, iphones, etc. Portable and convenient, streaming services on the internet or cable VOD have been the resounding "want" from the public in the last several years. Also, studios want complete control of their intellectual property as well. Pay Per View off the internet/cable VOD akin to a modern 80's VHS video rental is what will be. Look at books on electronic devices......you can't share them with anybody like you could when you had an actual real book in your hands. Physical media will be destroyed by both the studios and the public through their own needs and wants. A 4K/UHD exclusivity scheme is just another cancer that will further drive the nail in the coffin of physical media.......
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists