Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.32
11 hrs ago
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$29.33
8 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
21 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
6 hrs ago
Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

View Poll Results: What Speakers do you own?
Paradigm 150 54.55%
Paradigm Reference 99 36.00%
Combination of both Paradigm/Paradigm Reference 26 9.45%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #3201
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
This sub is quite small. Heavy.....but small. From what Iv'e heard and read, it is excellent build quality. With music is sounds fantastic, bass is clean and tight. I bought a Auralex subdude HD and it does work!. The sub I am currently borrowing (my local dealer allows auditions to good upstanding customers). I calibrated it with Audyssey as the PBK software wouldn't work on either of my laptops with windows 7, they say to use XP. So far so good. I will make my final decision end of the week. MSRP is 849, I can keep if for about 200 less. You can see Paradigm's website on what actually goes into this sub. This little unit is more durable and powerful than my Velodyne VX-11 which I really liked. The frequency goes lower on the SUB 10. If you want more "punch" then go with the sub 12, but the 10 is plenty for my setup. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, i appreciate your insight! It seems like these subs are supposed to be the evolution of the DSP series which i thought sounded really good.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #3202

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
Thanks man, i appreciate your insight! It seems like these subs are supposed to be the evolution of the DSP series which i thought sounded really good.
I was told by Paradigm, that the DSP-3400 has been discontinued. The 3100 and 3200 are still current models.
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3203
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Yes i was told the same. Kinda sucks. I know Klipsch is bringing out a 15 inch the sw115 that has pretty much the same power specs as the 3400. Might consider that.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #3204

Jan 2010

Anyone own or heard the Signature S8 speaker system??? I going to try and demo them (hopefully the place has them to demo). I hear that C5 is incredible..
Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #3205
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Yes i have heard the S8's when i was auditioning new speakers in July. They sounded great but i liked the Goldenear Triton's better and ultimately went with them.

The S8's didn't have as good spatial imaging, or clarity to my ears. The Triton's were made to compete and beat high end speakers. They accomplished that.

I got to hear the S8's again at the annual electronics expo in my city and again the Tritons bested them in terms of overall clarity, punch and spatialness.

The S8's are worldclass speakers and i am not being critical of them, my ears liked the Tritons better is all.

Last edited by sonic_debauchery; 01-04-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3206
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluElite View Post
Anyone own or heard the Signature S8 speaker system??? I going to try and demo them (hopefully the place has them to demo). I hear that C5 is incredible..
I've had the pleasure of hearing the S8's, C5 & ADP 3's... They sound very smooth and natural and work seamlessly together, you'd be very happy to have them.
Quote:
Yes i have heard the S8's when i was auditioning new speakers in July. They sounded great but i liked the Goldenear Triton's better and ultimately went with them.

The S8's didn't have as good spatial imaging, or clarity to my ears. The Triton's were made to compete and beat high end speakers. They accomplished that.

I got to hear the S8's again at the annual electronics expo in my city and again the Tritons bested them in terms of overall clarity, punch and spatialness.

The S8's are worldclass speakers and i am not being critical of them, my ears liked the Tritons better is all.
You sir on the other hand are a very lucky man to have been able to demo both the Sig's and Triton's I would love to demo those babies...

Both are awesome in my book...
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Belkin PureAV PF60 - Harmony 1100 (remote)

Last edited by B.Hulk; 01-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3207
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

I think it comes down to what sounds better to your ears.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #3208
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
I think it comes down to what sounds better to your ears.
I agree...
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Belkin PureAV PF60 - Harmony 1100 (remote)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #3209

Mar 2010
New York

Quote:

triton[1].jpg CLEARLY "The Tritons were made to compete and beat high end speakers" You can just tell that by there awesome build quality! Glad you found something that works for you. Congrats
To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is, a dissatisfaction with self!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #3210
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Thanks Blaze I love them!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #3211
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

So I've had some time to assess my new speakers and amps and I'm happy with my choices, although I do wonder if I should have gotten the S8's. Don't get me wrong the S6's are great, it's just in my nature to wonder about the next model up.

I'm surprised at the amount of current the S6's and C5 draw, the meters on my XPA-1's really get moving, I'm crossing them over at 60hz. The dynamics have improved greatly and that's exactly what I was looking for, I really liked the sound of the S2/C3 combo I had before but needed improved dynamics.

Up next is a new set of surround as I sold my ADP 1's, I bought them used and really got stuck with a pair of lemons. I had two warranty claims in less than a year on them, the last straw was either paying an $800 bill to fix them or just let them go for whatever I could get for them. I'm thinking I'll probably get some ADP 3's or maybe I'll grab the S8's and use the S6's as surrounds. Either way I'm very happy with the direction I'm going and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #3212

Mar 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
So I've had some time to assess my new speakers and amps and I'm happy with my choices, although I do wonder if I should have gotten the S8's. Don't get me wrong the S6's are great, it's just in my nature to wonder about the next model up.

I'm surprised at the amount of current the S6's and C5 draw, the meters on my XPA-1's really get moving, I'm crossing them over at 60hz. The dynamics have improved greatly and that's exactly what I was looking for, I really liked the sound of the S2/C3 combo I had before but needed improved dynamics.

Up next is a new set of surround as I sold my ADP 1's, I bought them used and really got stuck with a pair of lemons. I had two warranty claims in less than a year on them, the last straw was either paying an $800 bill to fix them or just let them go for whatever I could get for them. I'm thinking I'll probably get some ADP 3's or maybe I'll grab the S8's and use the S6's as surrounds. Either way I'm very happy with the direction I'm going and wouldn't have it any other way.
Happy to here your new speakers are working out for you! They will sound better and better as time go's by. Sorry to here you had issues with your ADP-1's. Thanks again for your advice you gave me on getting my ADP's...
To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is, a dissatisfaction with self!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #3213
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze View Post
Happy to here your new speakers are working out for you! They will sound better and better as time go's by. Sorry to here you had issues with your ADP-1's. Thanks again for your advice you gave me on getting my ADP's...
The crossover went bad in one of them and kept blowing drivers, of course that wasn't figured out until Paradigm denied my third warranty claim. I only lost $250 them them as I bought them pretty cheap to begin with. I'm most likely going to go with the ADP 3's as I'd probably see bigger gains getting another sub than moving up to the S8's. The surrounds are first on my list though.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #3214
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
The crossover went bad in one of them and kept blowing drivers, of course that wasn't figured out until Paradigm denied my third warranty claim. I only lost $250 them them as I bought them pretty cheap to begin with. I'm most likely going to go with the ADP 3's as I'd probably see bigger gains getting another sub than moving up to the S8's. The surrounds are first on my list though.
aces have you demoed the s8s ? i was wondering the differences between the s8s and s6s i heard some s8s a few weeks ago and i really wish i had the funds so i could buy them
AUDIO Marantz 5011 Naim XS2 naim flatcap
SPEAKERS Dynaudio x38s CCstudio esSprit ADP190S
VIDEO SAMSUNG PLASMA 58 INCH
OPPO BDP 93 / ps4 for gaming
SUBS SVS PB12NSD Power sound audio xs30se
TURN TABLE - REGA RP6 Ortofon 2m Black ifi phono stage bluesound node2
CABLES L/R SPEAKERS- AUDIOQUEST ROCKET 33
Interconnects audio quest g snake
Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #3215
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
aces have you demoed the s8s ? i was wondering the differences between the s8s and s6s i heard some s8s a few weeks ago and i really wish i had the funds so i could buy them
No I've never heard them before but the only difference's between them should be greater extension and output from the S8's. That being said I don't think the differences would be huge but it still makes me wonder.

The S6's are going pretty low before starting to roll off, according to the ARC graph's I'm getting 30hz out of them before they're starting to roll off. Some will tell you that because they're reasonably efficient speakers you don't need a power amp with them. I don't agree with that, they need lots of clean high current to sound their best. If your considering them make sure to include an nice amp in the budget.

You can always look on the used market, my S6's were used. They were 6 months old when I bought them and you wouldn't be able to tell I bought them used, they're mint. List is $6500 on new S6's now and I got mine for $3800 delivered to my door, just be patient and you can find some great deals if you look.

I just noticed you have an amp already, you should be fine.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #3216
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
No I've never heard them before but the only difference's between them should be greater extension and output from the S8's. That being said I don't think the differences would be huge but it still makes me wonder.

The S6's are going pretty low before starting to roll off, according to the ARC graph's I'm getting 30hz out of them before they're starting to roll off. Some will tell you that because they're reasonably efficient speakers you don't need a power amp with them. I don't agree with that, they need lots of clean high current to sound their best. If your considering them make sure to include an nice amp in the budget.

You can always look on the used market, my S6's were used. They were 6 months old when I bought them and you wouldn't be able to tell I bought them used, they're mint. List is $6500 on new S6's now and I got mine for $3800 delivered to my door, just be patient and you can find some great deals if you look.

I just noticed you have an amp already, you should be fine.
30hz is pretty low, i was wondering because the room i demoed the s8s in was huge like 20 x 50 and the s8s filled the room with sweet sound easily my room is 12 x 24 so i was thinking the s6s might be fine
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #3217
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
30hz is pretty low, i was wondering because the room i demoed the s8s in was huge like 20 x 50 and the s8s filled the room with sweet sound easily my room is 12 x 24 so i was thinking the s6s might be fine
The S6's should do pretty well in that size of room, I don't think you'd be disappointed. How low they're going to go will very from room to room, right now I've got them in a 15' x 16' room. That probably contributes to more room gain in the low end than a larger room.

Do you have anywhere to listen to the S6's?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #3218
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
The S6's should do pretty well in that size of room, I don't think you'd be disappointed. How low they're going to go will very from room to room, right now I've got them in a 15' x 16' room. That probably contributes to more room gain in the low end than a larger room.

Do you have anywhere to listen to the S6's?
the place demoed didn't have them its about a 45 minute ride to get there they had a bunch of monitor series the rf line in klipsh quad some maggies the millenia series the s8s but no studios or s6s they had a nice mcintosh 450 watt per channel amp running them that was a thing of beauty ill keep checking in with them maybe they'll get some in
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #3219
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Anyone have or have demo'd the cinema series 200 or 400 speakers?

I saw one at my local home theater store and I want to get a listen. I am thinking of reducing and going with on the wall speakers
Home Theater Gear: Samsung PN58B860 58" Plasma, Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR, Panasonic BMP-BDT310, Harmony One remote
speaker set up: 3 Paradigm Cinema 400 on the wall speakers & cinema 100 surrounds
Subwoofers - Dual Bic F-12 powered subwoofers
Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #3220
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
Anyone have or have demo'd the cinema series 200 or 400 speakers?

I saw one at my local home theater store and I want to get a listen. I am thinking of reducing and going with on the wall speakers
the cinema series is the cheapest series paradigm makes you'd probably be moving backwards in sound quality have you checked out the esprit or millenia series ? they would be much better
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers