Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Sisters (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Marvel Animated Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The X-Files: Event Series (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Huntsman: Winter's War (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Deadpool (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #1681

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater dreamer View Post
Ok guys, help me out here, please. I'm looking to buy this one on Blu-ray for the first time. What's the best version to buy, the 40th anniversary? The DigiBook? The theatrical release is what I remember, and it's perfect. I don't even know if I'll even want to watch the director's cut. Why mess with cinematic perfection? If a film student asked me to recommend a movie that demonstrated the sheer power of ambiance, The Exorcist would be my first choice.

Did the 4k scan, 40th anniversary issue dramatically improve on the original Blu release? I read several of the pages at the start of this topic, and people seem to love the DigiBook edition first released. I don't want to read all 80 pages of comments, though, if I can avoid doing so. At some point, I assume a consensus was reached. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. My only concern is the conditional issues that far too often present with DigiBooks. I'm battling with Amazon right now. I ordered East of Eden, Giant, Doctor Zhivago, and A Streetcar Named Desire--all as DigiBook editions (some I had no choice), and Amazon has had to send three of Streetcar, and two of Zhivago, because the books had some crushing.

Thanks for your input, gang!

Anybody else really disappointed with the cover selection for the 40th anniversary release?

The Digibook is the first release of the Exorcist and is perfect. It has two discs with both cuts, looks great and the Digibook is classy and nice looking. The quality is great as well. Only problem is I believe it's out-of-print (but probably can be found easily on EBay). If you can, go for this version.

The 40th Anniversary is NOT a new 4K scan, but merely contains the same identical two discs, plus a bonus DVD disc with a few special features. And it comes with an uglier cover, bulkier packaging and an excerpt from Friedkin's book. It's a bit more expensive, but if you want the most special features then this will be your pick. The special features don't sound that worth it though.
Thanks given by:
theater dreamer (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #1682

Jan 2015
Flower Mound, TX

KCota15,

Thank you! It looks like the DigiBook is the way to go. It is, indeed, out of print, but it's worth the $40-50 I'll likely have to spend to get a copy of it in new condition. I love the packaging, and the iconic photo on the cover.

Seriously, does it get any better than this?

I've already planned my movie purchases for the month of November (and went way over budget to do so ), so I will pick this up in a few weeks when I have a new budget to play with. It will be at the top of my list.
My Criterion Collection.

"It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen."-Oliver Wendell Holmes

The Blu-ray.com classic film project. I am embellishing the bios of several film legends, and adding in profiles for classic films that are missing from our database. If you see a missing film that merits inclusion, please message me, and I will get it added.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #1683

Jan 2012

Yes I agree! Be on the look out on EBay though! I've gotten either brand new or perfect condition Warner digibooks for $10-20 on there and I've seen Exorcist on there before at that price!
Thanks given by:
Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #1684
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Florida

Quote:
KCota15,

Thank you! It looks like the DigiBook is the way to go. It is, indeed, out of print, but it's worth the $40-50 I'll likely have to spend to get a copy of it in new condition. I love the packaging, and the iconic photo on the cover.

I've already planned my movie purchases for the month of November (and went way over budget to do so ), so I will pick this up in a few weeks when I have a new budget to play with. It will be at the top of my list.
You could also get the uk version of the 40th anniversary for around $20. Region free and it has the original art.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...lu-ray/109652/
Thanks given by:
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #1685
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
Anybody else really disappointed with the cover selection for the 40th anniversary release?
I never felt much affinity for the original image myself, partly because it shows Merrin, who doesn't even turn out to be the Exorcist of the title.

I have the digibook. I do like the cover for the more recent release, with the text that matches the titles of Blatty's third film -- I personally find it more atmospheric than the original artwork -- but I didn't bother updating just for that (and the new documentary, which I'm sure will turn up on YouTube sooner or later anyway). If it had actually had the re-scanned, re-colour-graded transfer that Friedkin had been blethering about and promising prior to its release, I might have.
Thanks given by:
Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #1686

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCota15 View Post
The Digibook is the first release of the Exorcist and is perfect. It has two discs with both cuts, looks great and the Digibook is classy and nice looking. The quality is great as well. Only problem is I believe it's out-of-print (but probably can be found easily on EBay). If you can, go for this version.

The 40th Anniversary is NOT a new 4K scan, but merely contains the same identical two discs, plus a bonus DVD disc with a few special features. And it comes with an uglier cover, bulkier packaging and an excerpt from Friedkin's book. It's a bit more expensive, but if you want the most special features then this will be your pick. The special features don't sound that worth it though.
Just a heads up, the bonus disc is a blu-ray not dvd.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #1687
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014

Quote:
KCota15,

So you'd spend $40-$50 to get an out of print digibook when you can get the entire anthology of 5 films (with the same content on the original film) for $25?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #1688
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Ok guys, help me out here, please. I'm looking to buy this one on Blu-ray for the first time. What's the best version to buy, the 40th anniversary? The DigiBook? The theatrical release is what I remember, and it's perfect. I don't even know if I'll even want to watch the director's cut. Why mess with cinematic perfection? If a film student asked me to recommend a movie that demonstrated the sheer power of ambiance, The Exorcist would be my first choice.

Did the 4k scan, 40th anniversary issue dramatically improve on the original Blu release? I read several of the pages at the start of this topic, and people seem to love the DigiBook edition first released. I don't want to read all 80 pages of comments, though, if I can avoid doing so. At some point, I assume a consensus was reached. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. My only concern is the conditional issues that far too often present with DigiBooks. I'm battling with Amazon right now. I ordered East of Eden, Giant, Doctor Zhivago, and A Streetcar Named Desire--all as DigiBook editions (some I had no choice), and Amazon has had to send three of Streetcar, and two of Zhivago, because the books had some crushing.

Thanks for your input, gang!

You'll win either way you go. The film was indeed scanned at 4K resolution from the original film elements for the 2010 digibook release. It is absolutely beautiful on blu-ray and the best the film has ever looked. I actually bought the digibook in 2010 then the 40th in 2013 so I'm good with The Exorcist for a while until Warner's releases it on UHD blu-ray. Lol
Thanks given by:
theater dreamer (11-25-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #1689
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal

If you only want the Exorcist you should get the 40th anniversary release since it has an extras BD not included in the original release.

If you don't care about the extras disc and don't mind the complete collection, get the boxset instead. As someone said is cheaper and it also contains the two discs.
Thanks given by:
theater dreamer (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #1690

Jan 2015
Flower Mound, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCota15 View Post
Yes I agree! Be on the look out on EBay though! I've gotten either brand new or perfect condition Warner digibooks for $10-20 on there and I've seen Exorcist on there before at that price!
I've been scouring Ebay for the past few days looking for a copy of the DigiBook. That would be my first choice, and if I can find a used one in like new condition, that would probably be my best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
You could also get the uk version of the 40th anniversary for around $20. Region free and it has the original art.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...lu-ray/109652/
That's a good suggestion. I'm looking to get a hardware modified Blu Ray player so I can play from any region. I have a feeling I'll be importing a lot of films from England, especially. The Exorcist might just be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I never felt much affinity for the original image myself, partly because it shows Merrin, who doesn't even turn out to be the Exorcist of the title.

I have the digibook. I do like the cover for the more recent release, with the text that matches the titles of Blatty's third film -- I personally find it more atmospheric than the original artwork -- but I didn't bother updating just for that (and the new documentary, which I'm sure will turn up on YouTube sooner or later anyway). If it had actually had the re-scanned, re-colour-graded transfer that Friedkin had been blethering about and promising prior to its release, I might have.
I can see where you're coming from. It's been a while since I've seen the film, however, if I recall correctly, Father Merrin did battle with, and defeated the demon once before. So while he may ultimately fall to him this time, the shot is still iconic and hauntingly beautiful, and I find poignancy in it because it marks the true beginning of the battle within the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
So you'd spend $40-$50 to get an out of print digibook when you can get the entire anthology of 5 films (with the same content on the original film) for $25?
Yes, I would. The Exorcist is the only film from the entire series I've seen, or want to see. The majority of feedback I've read about the other films is that they are, for the most part, crap. I would rather get the DigiBook in great condition, and be able to showcase it within my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
You'll win either way you go. The film was indeed scanned at 4K resolution from the original film elements for the 2010 digibook release. It is absolutely beautiful on blu-ray and the best the film has ever looked. I actually bought the digibook in 2010 then the 40th in 2013 so I'm good with The Exorcist for a while until Warner's releases it on UHD blu-ray. Lol
Thank you.

Thank you all for the valuable input!
My Criterion Collection.

"It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen."-Oliver Wendell Holmes

The Blu-ray.com classic film project. I am embellishing the bios of several film legends, and adding in profiles for classic films that are missing from our database. If you see a missing film that merits inclusion, please message me, and I will get it added.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #1691

Jun 2010
Scotland

The Exorcist is region free, so you can order the 40th Anniversary edition from Amazon UK whenever you want, you won't need a region free player .
Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #1692
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
I've been scouring Ebay for the past few days looking for a copy of the DigiBook. That would be my first choice, and if I can find a used one in like new condition, that would probably be my best bet.

That's a good suggestion. I'm looking to get a hardware modified Blu Ray player so I can play from any region. I have a feeling I'll be importing a lot of films from England, especially. The Exorcist might just be one.

I can see where you're coming from. It's been a while since I've seen the film, however, if I recall correctly, Father Merrin did battle with, and defeated the demon once before. So while he may ultimately fall to him this time, the shot is still iconic and hauntingly beautiful, and I find poignancy in it because it marks the true beginning of the battle within the film.

Yes, I would. The Exorcist is the only film from the entire series I've seen, or want to see. The majority of feedback I've read about the other films is that they are, for the most part, crap. I would rather get the DigiBook in great condition, and be able to showcase it within my collection.

Thank you.

Thank you all for the valuable input!
If you want the digibook i would just order it. There will be a time when you won't be able to find one, or someone will be asking high dollar for it since they are indeed out of print.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America