COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$106.75
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Terror Train (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
Default Do all upscale or just a few?

My sister is thinking about getting a Blu player and asked me a question. That question was do Blu-Ray players upscale a DVD?

I know mine does but do ALL player upscale? Or is it a few that do?

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet

Last edited by JimShaw; 03-15-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
My sister is thinking about getting a Blu player and asked me a question. That question was do Blu-Ray players upsacale a DVD?

Most do, but it doesn't make a huge difference. There is almost no way to compare "upscaling performance".

In any case, once you put a Blu movie in, everything else will be bland in comparison, no matter how well the "upconversion" is.

The Sony and Pioneer units are very good at it, for what it's worth.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

That's actually a pretty good question, because ever since I sold my regular DVD player I have no way of comparing the 2. We know the PS3 upscales and my DVD copies of both Braveheart and Gladiator look darned good on it. If I still had the old DVD player I could do a comparison to see whether or not upscaling is all it's cracked up to be.

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Feb 2009

I Think all of them do, maybe with an exception (if there is, that brand shouldnīt be reliable) since they all have the hdmi input, they should all do. -As for the other post saying that thereīs no comparison, of course there isnīt but I donīt think this argument is about comparison, but just upscaling dvds, which is a very very good feature since dvds dominate the market.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #5

Dec 2008
Thumbs up

I have read a lot of people saying that their new blu ray player does not play the DVD's as good as their previous DVD player. I am in the market for a new blu ray and was going to get the Panny BD80 but now I am leaning towards the new OPPO Digital 83 that is due out the end of the month or so? The reason is that it not only has the best blu ray specs so far but OPPO has been the top reviewed DVD player that upscales and plays DVD's better than other DVD players; and their new blu ray 83 player I believe has that same technology built in so if I'm going to get a new player I think the OPPO 83 will provide the best blu ray and do a better job with existing DVD's so I can get rid of my current DVD player.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #6

Oct 2007

I haven't heard of a Blu-ray player that doesn't upscale DVD's.

Some bizarro exception might exist somewhere if you buy from a street vendor in Istanbul.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

to whoever said they couldn't do a side by side comparison, i can

and it is awful seeing what a reg. dvd player does to a dvd when allowing my tv to do all the work, i will say the most noticeable diff. on a dvd not upscaled in a blu, is that dark scenes are completely dark, i mean you can't see anything!, that same scene played in my bd-30 looks completely different, like shockingly so, and the bd30 is pretty low on the quality scale when it comes to DVD playback. There is also a diff in the amount of noise and other artifacts cropping up.

All BD players do this to my knowledge, but between the two i have had there was a noticeable difference in DVD playback quality, if this is important to you i would look into this feature more, if its just a plus, any player will do it to an extent. I have an insane DVD collection with an endless amount of TV series that either won't come to blu or are not worth the re buy for me, so i am currently waiting on the OPPO player myself, the company is known for their upscale quality, and chipsets used.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez

Last edited by krazeyeyez; 03-14-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #8

Mar 2009
Memphis, TN

As a general rule, Blu-ray players will scale standard DVD's when using the HDMI output but will only deinterlace CSS-encrypted DVD's (so only 480p output) when using the component output. This is also true of upscaling DVD players.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #9

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
My sister is thinking about getting a Blu player and asked me a question. That question was do Blu-Ray players upscale a DVD?

All blu ray players do. They have to. If the output settings at 1080I or 1080P You have upconversion,when playing standard dvds. Some players upconvert betterthan others
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #10

Jan 2009

1080i is what most players upscale to
MY BLU:
SONY PLAYSTATION 3 (W/ 320GB HDD) (1ST GEN RELEASE) / TV: 56" SAMSUNG HL-S5687WX 1080P DLP HDTV
PANASONIC DMP-BD35K BLU-RAY PLAYER / TV: 46" SAMSUNG LN46A630 1080P 120HZ LCD HDTV
DELL XPS 420 DESKTOP (WITH BLU-RAY) / MONITOR: Samsung 2333 23" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
100+ BLU-RAY MOVIES AND COUNTING.......GO BLU!
PSN: Pitts_Gutta
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #11

Mar 2009
Memphis, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsgutta View Post
1080i is what most players upscale to
Most will do 1080p via HDMI.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #12

Jan 2013
Default there is a huge difference

I have 3 hdtvs. Range from 26" to 50". I'm buying a 3d with my taxes. I have 4 blu ray players. Sony, samsungs and a panasonic. My 50" tv has 2 blu ray players as well as 2 dvd players hooked to it. One dvd player is also a burner. Dvds not played on the blu rays look like total dog shit. Maybe its cuz the tv is 1920x1080 or because its so big but playing a dvd through a dvd player is not good. Its blurry, it pixelated. Its not watchable. Maybe they do this on purpose with new full hd tvs? But now I'm in the market for a upscaling dvd recorder. So all the people who say upscaling doesn't do much, ur either crazy, blind, hor don't have a big tv, or one that is full hd. Or maybe ur tv is old. But if ur new to the full hd world like me and went crazy for christmas, you need a blu ray player just to watch a dvd. As far as I can tell, I've never seen a blu ray player that doesn't upscale. Oh yeah, and sony playstations look like dog shit too compaired to a real blu ray player. Great for games, horrible for dvd and blu rays. So if that's what you base ur opinion on than I see where you got it.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Holy thread revival You do realize this thread is like from 4 years ago? Also, as far as blu-ray, the PS3 is just as good as anything out there.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Holy thread revival You do realize this thread is like from 4 years ago? Also, as far as blu-ray, the PS3 is just as good as anything out there.
4 Years ago. Boy, since starting this thread, I have gotten married, retired from work and now on social security waiting for the grim reaper.

Yes, that was long ago.

m
8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

All blu-ray, and HD-DVD players automatically upconvert DVDs, due to the player's maximum 1080p resolution output it provides. But some brands upscales DVDs better than others.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I have to admit that while I don't fault these manufacturers for using the term "upscale", I think its used far too frequently as the "end-all" of upconverting DVDs through a Blu-ray player. I have many DVD sets and while it may upconvert some content, I found that Blu-rays "upscale" animated DVDs a lot better than they do with live-action films and TV shows.

Films and TV shows that are filmed in black and white, or animated, tend to take greater advantage of this "upconversion" process than "colorized" film and TV shows. I'm saying this because I have many American animated shows as well as Japanese anime, on DVD and I've seen Blu-rays handle the upconversion a lot better than DVD films or TV shows such as NCIS or Bones. Newer produced TV seasons seem to do a little better, but not by much.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #17

Aug 2010
Chicago

I thought upscaling didn't matter much because an HDTV will upscale all incoming signals to its native display resolution anyway.
Film lovers are sick people.
-Francois Truffaut
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

It could very well be but you need your DVD/Blu-ray player to upconvert the video, at least I thought that's the way it was.

Last edited by kemcha; 05-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemave View Post
I thought upscaling didn't matter much because an HDTV will upscale all incoming signals to its native display resolution anyway.
Bingo!

Plasma, LCD, DLP, SXRD, LCOS, D ILA, OLED,...they all have a fixed and predetermined number of pixels. They all unconvert every signal as needed to match the display.

Question is,... Is the unconvert system of the blu ray player or avr or video processor a better place to unconvert?
Blu Rays are Forever
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders