Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen, Volume Two: 1961-1964 (Blu-ray)
£42.99
Hammer, Volume One: Fear Warning! (Blu-ray)
£44.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
£39.99
Alien 1-6 Boxset (Blu-ray)
£30.00
To the Devil a Daughter (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Grimm: Season Six (Blu-ray)
£17.99
Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (Blu-ray)
£37.99
The Great Wall 3D (Blu-ray)
£12.00
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
£25.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
£21.99
Firefly: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #30941
logboy logboy is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2009
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Hopefully this announcement means we're one step closer to getting Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. I'd also be very happy with Graveyard of Honour, Sympathy for the Underdog, Yakuza Graveyard, or Street Mobster - maybe even Black Lizard, Swords of Vengeance: The Fall of Ako Castle or Shogun's Samurai if they're looking for something different.
'street mobster' or 'under the flag of the rising sun' for me. even then, i'd be waiting on a drop to about 8 on them. about what i paid for the DVDs, so a little less personally inclined to pay twice the price to see a film again when i'd rather find something new. still, as always, i'm glad others get a better first chance to see these fukusaku films from the 70's - very much recommended.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #30942
crazyman crazyman is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2011
200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
I can't remember the last time I wanted all of the new announcements, what a month!.

I really like Candice Tripp's artwork for Phenomena, I've been a fan of her work for many years.
Her work for DONNIE DARKO was the best for any Blu-ray from any studio last year.

If she and Matt Griffin did all Arrow covers from now on I'd be one happy bunny.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
fuzzymctiger (02-17-2017), Sleazeaddict (02-17-2017), Spiderwalk (02-17-2017), stigdu (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #30943
crazyman crazyman is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2011
200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Hopefully this announcement means we're one step closer to getting Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. I'd also be very happy with Graveyard of Honour, Sympathy for the Underdog, Yakuza Graveyard, or Street Mobster - maybe even Black Lizard, Swords of Vengeance: The Fall of Ako Castle or Shogun's Samurai if they're looking for something different.
Defo UNDER THE FLAG OF THE RISING SUN. His best film IMO and criminally under-seen - less than 700 votes on IMDB compared to BATTLE ROYALE'S 140,000! Come on Arrow, help this film get the attention it deserves!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #30944
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
544
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Hopefully this announcement means we're one step closer to getting Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. I'd also be very happy with Graveyard of Honour, Sympathy for the Underdog, Yakuza Graveyard, or Street Mobster - maybe even Black Lizard, Swords of Vengeance: The Fall of Ako Castle or Shogun's Samurai if they're looking for something different.
Would love that. Sympathy for the Underdog was the first one I had seen from Fukasaku, so I especially would love that one. I heard murmurs that they might have New Battles without Honor and Humanity too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #30945
stigdu stigdu is offline
Special Member
 
stigdu's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Surrey, UK
1027
357
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
Her work for DONNIE DARKO was the best for any Blu-ray from any studio last year.

If she and Matt Griffin did all Arrow covers from now on I'd be one happy bunny.
I see what you did there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
15 Most wanted on blu-ray: Braindead; Hunter's Blood; Unman, Wittering & Zigo; Felidae; Self Defense (aka Siege); Death Weekend (aka The House by the Lake); Tombstone (Director's cut); Scream for Help; The Hitcher (1986); Man's Best Friend; Dragons Forever; Sonatine; Panic Room; Run and Kill; Evil Dead Trap
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #30946
Sleazeaddict Sleazeaddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Sleazeaddict's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

In for all but Aquarius, almost bought Evil Ed german mediabook the other day!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #30947
Ray_Rogers Ray_Rogers is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray_Rogers's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Watsonville, California
721
21
Default

Interested in Phenomena. Might be for Evil Ed, need to rewatch it. Brain Damage is a give or take from me.
My Complete Collection <- Always being Updated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #30948
rapta rapta is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
rapta's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Hants, UK
1412
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
Defo UNDER THE FLAG OF THE RISING SUN. His best film IMO and criminally under-seen - less than 700 votes on IMDB compared to BATTLE ROYALE'S 140,000! Come on Arrow, help this film get the attention it deserves!
I've never actually seen it but I saw a trailer for it once and my immediate thought was "I need to see this film". Unfortunately you can't seem to get it anywhere, which is even more reason for Arrow to resurrect it.

If we're talking Japanese films set in WWII, I'd also appreciate an Arrow Academy release of Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain. Got a French release last year, so I assume there's an suitable HD master knocking about! Would go well with The Human Condition (which I'm saving up to get).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Would love that. Sympathy for the Underdog was the first one I had seen from Fukasaku, so I especially would love that one. I heard murmurs that they might have New Battles without Honor and Humanity too.
I plan on getting the Battles titles separately myself, obviously in order, once they're a bit cheaper (8 or less). New Battles would be interesting, but I'd still be more excited for them to do separate editions of Fukasaku films that are more affordable and don't have a booklet as a box set exclusive only.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if they just released Cops vs Thugs on its own with no follow-up. I bet they're going to do at least one more standalone yakuza title (most likely one of the ones I mentioned before) and maybe a New Battles set, but my fingers are crossed tightly that they'll go for Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. That's something I would pre-order without hesitation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #30949
Sebbern Sebbern is offline
Member
 
Dec 2016
Default

Great lineup this month! I'll personally get my hands on Phenomena, Brain Damage and Evil Ed (in that order).

I'd however prefer standard editions, when do you guys think that will happen?

Unrelated question: I see a standard edition of Donnie Darko for 13 on amazon, but I don't recall Arrow announcing it, whats up with that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #30950
Yami Yami is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2008
397
54
Default

Looking forward to seeing Cops vs Thugs! Hope for all of the aforementioned Fukusaku titles as well
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #30951
2-perf 2-perf is offline
Senior Member
 
2-perf's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Montreal
211
65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbern View Post
Great lineup this month! I'll personally get my hands on Phenomena, Brain Damage and Evil Ed (in that order).

I'd however prefer standard editions, when do you guys think that will happen?

Unrelated question: I see a standard edition of Donnie Darko for 13 on amazon, but I don't recall Arrow announcing it, whats up with that?
It was announced October 14th 2016 on their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/...type=3&theater
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #30952
Sebbern Sebbern is offline
Member
 
Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-perf View Post
It was announced October 14th 2016 on their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/...type=3&theater
My bad, slipcover fooled me
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
2-perf (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #30953
TheBigVitus TheBigVitus is offline
Active Member
 
TheBigVitus's Avatar
 
Jul 2016
Sweden
80
21
Default

What is this Elmer nonsense? It's AYLMER, thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
drterror666 (02-17-2017), JoeBuck (02-17-2017), nikon76 (02-17-2017), Ste7en (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #30954
rapta rapta is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
rapta's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Hants, UK
1412
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Looking forward to seeing Cops vs Thugs! Hope for all of the aforementioned Fukusaku titles as well
Somebody pointed out they deleted an extra detailed as "Sympathy for the Underdog, a new visual essay on Fukasaku's career by Marc Walkow", and also "Audio commentary by film scholar Tom Mes", which makes me wonder if they initially posted the specs for another Fukasaku title by accident (most likely another yakuza title if 'Sympathy for the Underdog' is being referenced).

Either that, or they're not ready to confirm those yet. I'd be surprised if they had a video essay and commentary by Tom Mes on the same release though (and two different video essays on the same disc).

EDIT: actually, seeing as the video essay on the Cops vs Thugs disc is called "Beyond the Film: Cops vs Thugs", I wouldn't be surprised if Arrow just accidentally confirmed they'll be releasing Fukasaku's Sympathy for the Underdog next!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cinematt (02-17-2017), Sleazeaddict (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #30955
Yami Yami is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2008
397
54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Somebody pointed out they deleted an extra detailed as "Sympathy for the Underdog, a new visual essay on Fukasaku's career by Marc Walkow", and also "Audio commentary by film scholar Tom Mes", which makes me wonder if they initially posted the specs for another Fukasaku title by accident (most likely another yakuza title if 'Sympathy for the Underdog' is being referenced).

Either that, or they're not ready to confirm those yet. I'd be surprised if they had a video essay and commentary by Tom Mes on the same release though (and two different video essays on the same disc).

EDIT: actually, seeing as the video essay on the Cops vs Thugs disc is called "Beyond the Film: Cops vs Thugs", I wouldn't be surprised if Arrow just accidentally confirmed they'll be releasing Fukasaku's Sympathy for the Underdog next!
Great spot! I suspect New Battles will follow that then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #30956
RetroAlarm RetroAlarm is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2013
UK
1063
Default

Phenomena, Evil Ed and Brain Damage for me. I had completely forgotten about Evil Ed; I had it on VHS and remember it being an enjoyable watch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #30957
lilboyblu lilboyblu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
lilboyblu's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
United States
1068
100
105
13
Default

Phenomena, Evil Ed and Brain Damage for me too. Will pick up The Climber as well after seeing that it was the inspiration for DePalma's Scarface.

Wasn't at all familiar with Evil Ed, but the trailer for it looks insane!

A fan of B-Movies and Genre Trash.

Last edited by lilboyblu; 02-17-2017 at 06:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #30958
Cinematt Cinematt is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2015
801
25
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
If we're talking Japanese films set in WWII, I'd also appreciate an Arrow Academy release of Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain. Got a French release last year, so I assume there's an suitable HD master knocking about! Would go well with The Human Condition (which I'm saving up to get).

Anyway, I'd be surprised if they just released Cops vs Thugs on its own with no follow-up. I bet they're going to do at least one more standalone yakuza title (most likely one of the ones I mentioned before) and maybe a New Battles set, but my fingers are crossed tightly that they'll go for Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. That's something I would pre-order without hesitation.
Criterion have a DVD of Fires on the Plain, so I'm hopeful they'll update that. I've not seen it, but with Third Window bringing the remake out in June I'd really like to see the original announced soon.

I'd say bookending lesser known releases with the Battles titles would be a sensible strategy, gives them a whole catalogue to push to people drawn in by New Battles to watch while they wait. They've had a Japanese announcement every month for ages now, long may it continue!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #30959
Mothravka Mothravka is online now
Active Member
 
Mothravka's Avatar
 
Aug 2015
Zambia
258
32
Default

Pass on all new announcements for me. I'll continue wishing for a Terayama box set for the Academy announcements.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #30960
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1583
140
56
Default

Not super into horror but Brain Damage is the kind of sci-fi/creature mix I do like. Also 80s nostalgia. Will definitely get that. Evil Ed though looks like more of a slasher and 90s, so think I can pass there. Phenomena sounds like kinda my thing but I'm not an Argento or Italian cinema fan and I hate cockroaches so... I dunno.

I'm getting more into Japanese stuff so Cops vs. Thugs looks interesting. Not sure about a blind-buy though, will watch some clips.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 AM.