Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$128.59
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Amores Perros (Blu-ray)
$9.69
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.40
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Lift (Blu-ray)
$19.90
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
Three O'Clock High (Blu-ray)
$14.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #161201

Mar 2016
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
can anyone describe what it is they like about Jeanne Dielman? It is a film I have heard of, but never really looked into what it is about until today. so this morning, I read just enough today to get an idea...

so, it's like Gus Van Sant's Elephant stylistically? I found that and a couple other GVS films he did around the same time were worth a look.

I find it interesting, though, that a film well over 2 hours documenting a woman at home doing nothing of consequence has garnered such excitement from some.

again, I haven't seen it.. and I think I'd like to, so don't take my question as passing an opinion on something that I know little about. I'm just curious.
Seyrig's performance and the film's composition are meticulous and fascinating, and those are the reason you should watch it, but be prepared to just settle in: the narrative is variational, not additive. It forces you to focus on the subtle variations in a daily routine which the main character has been forced into, the minor frustrations to that routine as they snowball, and the physical space in which that routine occurs. Akerman's use of framing, the way she builds the apartment and Jeanne's discomfort in it through obscured shots, slightly confused spatial relationships, and inferences from sound are brilliant contortions of film grammar, and she uses time and repetition to build the character of Jeanne not by direct action but almost exclusively by reaction. If you have an ounce of interest in formalism, it's worth seeing. If you have an actual love of films with formalist features, it's downright amazing.

I, personally, can't wait. I saw it in theaters a few months ago and have been eager to see it again, especially since the print I saw wasn't in the best of condition. A cleaned up scan will be nice to experience.
Thanks given by:
bwdowiak (02-17-2017), malakaheso (02-17-2017), nitin (02-17-2017), SammyJankis (02-16-2017), SkyAntoine (02-20-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 AM   #161202

Dec 2016
-
-

Last night I watched Shindō's THE NAKED ISLAND. I am routinely blown away at how much can be expressed without dialogue, bringing to mind another Criterion that was first time viewing recently, THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE.

THE NAKED ISLAND's strength was its simplicity, which I think lends to its universal appeal. I was surprised to see Benicio del Toro's involvement in its restoration and really enjoyed the commentary by Shindō and the composer Hayashij. Also, Akira Mizuta Lippit's interview was helpful in understanding the context of the film in post-war Japanese cinema.

[Show spoiler]I was truly gutted by the scene when the mother climbs the island after her son's death and looks on as fireworks go off on the mainland. I wasn't surprised to hear Benicio also bring up this moment in his interview.

Another phenomenal film.
Thanks given by:
oildude (02-17-2017), pedromvu (02-17-2017), shadedpain4 (02-17-2017), ShellOilJunior (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #161203
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
can anyone describe what it is they like about Jeanne Dielman? It is a film I have heard of, but never really looked into what it is about until today. so this morning, I read just enough today to get an idea...
I'd seen the film last year at a cinema. My impressions:

Quote:
At 200+ min, the majority of it devoted to scenes of a homemaker doing her chores almost in real-time, it's jumping off at the deep end as an introduction to a director, and based on reputation I was all prepared to pronounce it as pretentious and dull, but the film has a rhythm and a reason for its structure. Day 1 can be interpreted as the last of the woman's orderly if dull existence. We see her wholly a creature of routine, her life devoted to accomplishing a series of tasks, be it cooking dinner, polishing her son's shoes, babysitting a neighbor's infant or sleeping with a regular client for money, all with the same unemotional precision. Day 2, we see a repetition of those tasks but with slight instances of disorder, like a tiny crack on a window, creeping into her routine, suggesting a long gestating mental breakdown. Day 3 shows those cracks spidering ever so little more, until we reach an abrupt startling crescendo
[Show spoiler]where she stabs that day's client with a pair of scissors. Is it shown that she gets an orgasm during sex prior to that and is therefore disturbed by her emotional involvement? I felt so, but not sure

The rhythm is what defines the film, stick with the first half hour or so of the film and it will suck you in. The differences in Day 2 will further intrigue you as to where the build-up is leading to, and the film doesn't disappoint in its culmination. There are instances where the film tests your patience, with 5 min static shots of the protagonist staring into space, but even if indulgent they make sense within the context of the film's thrust. I would urge people to see this film.
I liked it a lot more than the other Akerman film I saw that day, Je Tu Il Elle, now that seemed a load of bollocks.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #161204
Special Member

Feb 2012

In all seriousness if this clip (this is the video that years ago made me import the Belgium DVD) doesn't make you want to rush out and buy JEANNE DIELMAN the movie might not be for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5Az-239uM
Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #161205
Special Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseabove View Post
Seyrig's performance and the film's composition are meticulous and fascinating, and those are the reason you should watch it, but be prepared to just settle in: the narrative is variational, not additive. It forces you to focus on the subtle variations in a daily routine which the main character has been forced into, the minor frustrations to that routine as they snowball, and the physical space in which that routine occurs. Akerman's use of framing, the way she builds the apartment and Jeanne's discomfort in it through obscured shots, slightly confused spatial relationships, and inferences from sound are brilliant contortions of film grammar, and she uses time and repetition to build the character of Jeanne not by direct action but almost exclusively by reaction. If you have an ounce of interest in formalism, it's worth seeing. If you have an actual love of films with formalist features, it's downright amazing.

I, personally, can't wait. I saw it in theaters a few months ago and have been eager to see it again, especially since the print I saw wasn't in the best of condition. A cleaned up scan will be nice to experience.
Well said, but there is only one thing missing from this explanation: how subtle her use of form is at times. The shots don't really call attention to themselves like they do in the films of other directors who favour long takes. Not that this is a bad thing necessarily, but in Jeanne Dielman you really have to pay close attention because there are no fancy camera moves from memory. It's most long static shots that focus on the quotidian aspects of her mundane existence.

As I've implied in a recent thread, I have a problem with the idea of Jeanne Dielman being called a feminist film. It is feminist in a narrow sense, but I think what it's saying about a particular mode/way of life is deeper than feminism although still very much conforming to an analysis of modern life that came out of the 1960's via academics like Adorno and Marcuse.
Top ten films since 2010 in alphabetical order: Certified Copy, Faust, Hard To Be A God, Horse Money, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Master, Nebraska, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, Story of My Death, The Turin Horse.

Honorable mentions: Birdman, The Death of Louis XIV, Dredd, The Hateful Eight, Holy Motors, Jauja, Like Someone In Love, Tabu, Uncle Boonmee Recalls His Nine Lives, Winter Sleep, The Wolf of Wall Street.

Last edited by malakaheso; 02-17-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
nitin (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #161206
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

Sofia Coppola finally got in the database, thanks to Rumble Fish.

Also, a phantom page was added for the director Renen Schorr
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #161207
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harakiri41 View Post
Last night I watched Shindō's THE NAKED ISLAND. I am routinely blown away at how much can be expressed without dialogue, bringing to mind another Criterion that was first time viewing recently, THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE.

THE NAKED ISLAND's strength was its simplicity, which I think lends to its universal appeal. I was surprised to see Benicio del Toro's involvement in its restoration and really enjoyed the commentary by Shindō and the composer Hayashij. Also, Akira Mizuta Lippit's interview was helpful in understanding the context of the film in post-war Japanese cinema.

[Show spoiler]I was truly gutted by the scene when the mother climbs the island after her son's death and looks on as fireworks go off on the mainland. I wasn't surprised to hear Benicio also bring up this moment in his interview.

Another phenomenal film.
I've been kind of interested in this film. I see that 3 posters with whom I am frequently in tune with liked your post - Pedro, shell, and oildude.

hmm... maybe pick this one up from the library or in the next sale
"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away." - Boethius
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #161208
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Sofia Coppola finally got in the database, thanks to Rumble Fish.

Also, a phantom page was added for the director Renen Schorr
Now, if she can make into the database as a director!
"First, a brief preface. Every time I review a film by Jean-Luc Godard, I receive outraged letters from readers who hated it. It is suggested that my reviews and myself join Godard on the trash heap of history; that the customers wuz robbed. A common complaint is that Godard 'made no sense.' And so on." -- Roger Ebert (1966)

“It would be boring if we all just made safe films.” — Nicolas Winding Refn, My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #161209
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

May's announcements had the most NYD clues includes from any month I can recall. Usually it's one, or two at the most.

Ghost World
Dheepan
Jeanne Dielman
Good Morning
Mysterious Object at Noon
Othello (maybe?)

They might knock out all the clues by the first half of the year at this rate

Remaining:

Marseille trilogy
Stalker
They Live By Night
Sixteen Candles?
West Side Story?

(ones with ? aren't certain)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #161210
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

Stalker could be barebones and it would still be superior since it's from a superior source than AE's poor PQ release.

And you really want to talk about Criterion being pretentious when they're releasing John Water's Multiple Maniacs?
Thanks given by:
AaronJ (02-17-2017), InTheMood (02-18-2017), jayembee (02-19-2017), Kyle15 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #161211
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Even though the hint is pretty on the nose, I still do think it will be Sixteen Candles, if for no other reason than I purchased the Universal edition within the last year -- that pretty much ensures that Criterion will be going with it.
"First, a brief preface. Every time I review a film by Jean-Luc Godard, I receive outraged letters from readers who hated it. It is suggested that my reviews and myself join Godard on the trash heap of history; that the customers wuz robbed. A common complaint is that Godard 'made no sense.' And so on." -- Roger Ebert (1966)

“It would be boring if we all just made safe films.” — Nicolas Winding Refn, My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #161212
Power Member

Jun 2014
Aberdeen, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
... Criterion is catering to their more pretentious fans and isn't as open as they were during their Laserdisc days. Especially since then they were releasing titles such as GHOSTBUSTERS, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Fobidden Planet, Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Blade Runner, etc. I doubt they'd ever re-release RoboCop, The Silence of the Lambs, Rebecca, Notorious, Spellbound, Hard Boiled, and The Killer at all through theirselves...
That has got almost nothing to do with Criterion supposedly being pretentious and everything to do with how the home video market has changed since the LD days. Surely anyone who frequents this thread must realise that by now?
If I was a duck I'd go quack.

All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #161213

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I'm convinced you're the only person still clinging on to the Laserdisc days. It's time to move on, my friend.
We can be us, just for one day.
iScottie's Storefront
Thanks given by:
InTheMood (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #161214
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

I would say it falls into the fetish range for him. Same with imports.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #161215
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I would say it falls into the fetish range for him. Same with imports.
And reversible covers.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #161216

Jul 2016
Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan

Studios aren't licensing out the titles they did on laserdisc anymore, Criterion would be foolish not to have released Ghostbusters on Blu Ray if given the opportunity. It has little to do with fans and more to do with the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
"Current Criterion is catering to their more pretentious fans and isn't as open as they were during their Laserdisc days."

Which means, IMO, the majority of the people who post ITT and want to decide what's deemed worthy or not to be released onto Criterions current slate.
At least they re-released 12 Angry Men, Tootsie, and some others.
Once again, pretentious fans and much more uninspired coverartwork. Especially for The Fisher King and The Before Trilogy.
Thanks given by:
shadedpain4 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #161217
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Ray, I'd be interested in hearing your objective pitch as to why Dead Presidents merits attention (I won't use the word inclusion because that isn't what I'm getting at.) The film isn't on the TSPDT top 1000 (nor on the list of films 1001-2000.) It has a RT score of 45%, an IMDB score of less than 7, and the director(s) haven't been relevant in over 20 years.

Not that those polls are black and white defining good or bad, but no one but you seems to be touting it as some kind of forgotten masterpiece.
"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away." - Boethius
Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #161218

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyscott View Post
Studios aren't licensing out the titles they did on laserdisc anymore, Criterion would be foolish not to have released Ghostbusters on Blu Ray if given the opportunity. It has little to do with fans and more to do with the industry.
It's funny before I even saw this post I was just thinking if Criterion released iconic films from history it would have to include a film like Ghostbusters and I even got to thinking what about something like Nightmare on Elm Street? Two personal favorites of mine. And Elm Street deserves a better release.

Side note:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...86825228030163

They should give that newfound footage to Criterion and make it happen...
Old 02-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #161219
Power Member

Jun 2015

The Hughes bros started out well. I'm a fan of "Menace to Society", "Dead Presidents", and "American Pimp". But then it really went downhill with "From Hell", which was a huge disappointment. They've only done "From Hell" and "Book of Eli" together since "American Pimp". Not sure if they have creative differences or what.

I wouldn't mind if Criterion put "Dead Presidents" out. The DVD is awful and the film has a lot of interesting themes, including neglecting returning military veterans and the desperation of poverty. Larenz Tate gives an excellent performance in the film as well.
Top 10 Most Wanted on Blu-Ray: 1) After Hours 2) Bringing Out the Dead 3) Bob Roberts 4) O Lucky Man 5) California Split 6) The Music of Chance 7) The Limey 8) Brewster McCloud 9) The Hitcher (1986) 10) Straight Time
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #161220
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

Earlier, I saw that the documentary Mifune: The Last Samurai is getting a home video release on April 25th, but sadly only on DVD. I messaged Strand Releasing via Facebook, and asked them about a possible Blu-ray, and they said "We are looking into Blu Ray". So for now, I'm going to hold off on picking up the DVD, but I'm very much looking forward to checking out the doc.

I suppose it's possible Criterion could license it too as an extra on a future release like Drunken Angel, or Stray Dog.
Thanks given by:
Harakiri41 (02-18-2017), the sordid sentinel (02-17-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors