COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$25.20
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.18
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$20.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 07-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #1341
Special Member

Jan 2014

3 Idiots (Hindi)

Lunchbox (Hindi)
New is always bad! Never not be afraid - Grug Crood

Last edited by jbloggs; 07-30-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #1342

Oct 2010

Some greats already mentioned on this thread. Not sure these were covered though.

The Late Show (1977 - Art Carney/Lily Tomlin) - great homage to the potboiler Bogart detective films of the 40's. Not on Blu yet.

Big Wednesday (1978 - Jan Michael Vincent/Gary Busey) - John Milius' surfing opus and a real snapshot of what it was like growing up in Southern California during the Vietnam era. Some great surfing footage. Shame it's not on Blu yet.

Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977 - Burt Lancaster) - little seen film in the vein of Fail Safe, Seven Days in May, etc. On Blu from Olive Films.

It's just a coincidence that all three of these were made within a year of each other.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #1343
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Terry Gilliam's latest

The Zero Theorem
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #1344
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Miami Lakes, FL

Short Film, and also f**king amazing.
"I am The Hague."

15 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) The Empire Strikes Back 4) Pulp Fiction 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Jurassic Park 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Star Wars 12) Jaws 13) Shaun of the Dead 14) Singin' in the Rain 15) Taxi Driver
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #1345

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

There are a lot of European (often non-English) films that are not very well known even in their own country but are nevertheless very good or better.

I can personally think of 3 such films

1. Blow Hot, Blow Cold aka Violenza al Sole (1968) directed by Florestano Vancini

2. Onkel Toms Hutte (the full 143 minute version) aka Uncle Toms Cabin (1965) directed by Geza von Radvanyi

3. Escapade in Russia aka Girl Seeks Father aka Devochynka Ishchet Otsa (1959) Directed by Lev Golub
Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1346

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich65 View Post
Swashbuckler
I don't think it is available on blu yet. It's a fun pirate movie with Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones, Peter Boyle, Beau Bridges, Geoffrey Holder, Genevieve Bujold, Sid Haig and a early Anjelica Huston. A blast to watch, Shaw and Jones made a great team and the movie had a fantastic score by John Addison. Shout Factory needs to get ahold of this one.
Hear hear! One of my favorite pirate movies, and my love for Robert Shaw is undying. The one thing that bothers me about it is the super fluffy Little House on the Prairie style orchestral score. I firmly believe that if it weren't for that, it would have been a greater box office success, and better remembered today. Still tons of fun though.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #1347

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

Is Swashbuckler aka The Red Pirate? I recall seeing a pirate film with Robert Shaw and Genevieve Bujold where the latter jumps into the sea in the nude. There is also a little song by the Shaw character about a Quaker wife.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1348

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintermann View Post
Is Swashbuckler aka The Red Pirate? I recall seeing a pirate film with Robert Shaw and Genevieve Bujold where the latter jumps into the sea in the nude. There is also a little song by the Shaw character about a Quaker wife.
That is it. I didn't know about the alternate title. Genevieve is fierce and hot in this one, if you're a fan.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #1349
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

The Low Down (2000) directed by the incredibly underrated Jamie Thraves and starring the equally underrated Aidan Gillen. It's excellent almost anti-coming of age and it's cerebral, too.
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #1350

Jun 2013

Best film of the decade so far: Cloud Atlas.

Worst film of the decade so far: Movie 43.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #1351

Jan 2012

the midnight game (dvd only)
redbox has it
Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #1352

Aug 2014

Vampires Kiss starring Nic Cage and Jennifer Beals. Crazy movie!

Big Wednesday starring Gary Busey, William Katt and Jan Michael Vincent. Coming of age movie, set around the surfing community.

Some Kind of Wonderful. Teen movie starring Eric Stolz, Mary Stuart Masterson and Lea Thompson
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #1353
Expert Member

Dec 2011

Well, this is a bizarre list.

A Reflection of Fear (truly creepy psychodrama with Robert Shaw, Sally Kellerman & Sondra Locke)
Paris Trout (disturbing picture featuring Dennis Hopper's greatest performance)
Arizona Dream (Kusturica comedy with Johnny Depp & Faye Dunaway; the dinner scene is the funniest scene ever filmed)
Shoot the Moon (barring the ill-advised restaurant scene, a perfect portrait of a marriage gone awry; featuring Diane Keaton & Albert Finney)
Confessions (hugely entertaining & twisted Japanese revenge thriller)
Will You Love Me Tomorrow (moving BBC production inspired by the Mary Bell case)
Firstborn (confused but entertaining drama with Teri Garr & Peter Weller)
Dark Obsession (aka Diamond Skulls; starring Amanda Donohoe & Gabriel Byrne)
Where the Money Is (low-key heist comedy with fantastic chemistry between Paul Newman & Linda Fiorentino)
That Cold Day in the Park (love that Sandy Dennis, even as a nut; fine early Altman)
In the Spirit (New Age comedy with Elaine May & Marlo Thomas)
Another Happy Day (superb performance from Ellen Barkin)
Electric Dreams (80s schlock with the underrated Lenny Von Dohlen)
The Disappearance of Aimee (TV movie with Bette Davis and Faye Dunaway)
The Supernaturals (bad 80s horror flick with a dynamite cast: Nichelle Nichols! Maxwell Caulfield! Levar Burton! Maurice Gibb!)
This World, Then the Fireworks (Billy Zane, Gina Gershon & Sheryl Lee in a trashy Jim Thompson adaptation)
The Bad Seed (TV adaptation with Blair Brown that remains faithful to the novel)
Scream for Help (Michael Winner cheese that he never managed to top)
Crimes of Passion (Ken Russell's funniest picture)
A Dangerous Woman (underrated melodrama starring Debra Winger & Barbara Hershey)
Razorback (beautiful Gregory Harrison vs. a killer pig)
Storyville (James Spader in a Mark Frost-directed Southern thriller)
Nightmare on the Thirteenth Floor (TV horror with a great B-list cast and a surprisingly bleak ending)
The Trigger Effect (plays like an extended Twilight Zone episode with Elisabeth Shue & Kyle MacLachlan)
Compromising Positions (comic mystery with great chemistry between Raul Julia & Susan Sarandon)
The Applegates (Stockard Channing & Ed Begley Jr. as bugs, Dabney Coleman in drag)
The Cannon Movie Tales (starry productions of fairy tales shot in Israel; Hansel & Gretel with Cloris Leachman being the best of the lot)
Dying Room Only (another Cloris Leachman goody)
The Boneyard (Norman Fell & Phyllis Diller vs. zombies)
Home for the Holidays (Aaron Spelling slasher starring Sally Field, Jessica Walter & Julie Harris)
Mother Goose Rock 'n Rhyme (a truly wacky Shelley Duvall production; man, she was great)
Playroom (insane B-horror written by Jackie Earle Haley)
The Caller (strange Malcolm McDowell fare with an interesting yet unsuccessful finale)
Baxter (French comedy about a killer dog, from the point of view of said dog)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #1354
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
The Low Down (2000) directed by the incredibly underrated Jamie Thraves and starring the equally underrated Aidan Gillen. It's excellent almost anti-coming of age and it's cerebral, too.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'm a big fan of Aidan Gillen, based on his roles in The Wire & Game of Thrones (two amazing shows), so have a lot of interest in seeing The Low Down. Unfortunately, this film seems tough to get ahold of....

Also agree that The Late Show (Art Carney/Lily Tomlin) is an amazing movie.

That Cold Day in the Park (late 1960's?!) is one of my favorite Robert Altman films; I even prefer it to some of his later, more popular work...

Here are some underrated, somewhat obscure films I'd recommend:

Straight Time - 1970's crime drama starring Dustin Hoffman & Gary Busey; extremely well-done.

The Border - another great drama, starring Jack Nicholson & Harvey Keitel.

The Pledge (2001) - disturbing & thought-provoking Jack Nicholson thriller...

Scarecrow (1973) - not the horror movie, but a decent drama starring Al Pacino & Gene Hackman as a pair of drifters.

The Thirteenth Floor - excellent 1990's sci-fi film that capitalized on the interest in "virtual reality" at the time...

Looking for Mr. Goodbar - though I'm sure a lot of folks have heard about this film, I'm not sure how many have actually seen this due to it's current unavailability on home video (except for VHS & Laserdisc?!) - it's never been released to DVD or Blu, possibly because of rights issues involving the music?!..In any case, excellent '70's drama, & based on a true story. One of Diane Keaton's best movies...

The Comfort of Strangers (199?) - disturbing & at the same time low-key film about a British couple vacationing in Italy, directed by Paul Schrader....based on the equally disturbing novel. This film deserves a better release that it's gotten, since all of the versions I've seen have been pan & scan, with sub-par PQ...

Forever Mine (1999) - another great Paul Schrader drama, starring the beautiful & underrated Gretchen Mol.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #1355

Sep 2009
North Carolina

Busting

Really solid cop flick with Elliot Gould and Robert Blake from the underrated Peter Hyams. Has a great bloody shoot out scene towards the end too, if I remember correctly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071259/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited by VanDammage80; 08-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #1356
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
Tracy Island

"I AM WHO I AM"
"Cause I'll rise again"
"There's slow, slow train coming up around the bend"
"to hell with the devil"
Tigers (72-60) 'MLB'
Tigers
vs White Sox

><(((:>

Last edited by hagios; 08-24-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies