Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Star Trek: The Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Short (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$15.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$8.00
Daddy's Home (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Terminator: Genisys (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #1301
Special Member

Mar 2010
New York

Going to the 2pm Wednesday Showing...

Can't wait!
For Your Consideration...
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #1302

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Ben Mankiewicz said there would be more of the interview on the website, but I've yet to find it.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #1303
Special Member

Mar 2013
-

I went to the 7pm showing! Did not care at all for Ben Mankiewicz and his ridiculous interview with Dr Zaius. The actor playing Dr Zaius just rambled on and did a half-assed attempt at trying to be funny. These guys just came off as insulting and a bunch of clowns! This is one of the greatest American science fiction films of all time and it certainly deserves more respect than they gave it! Bring back Robert Osborne! At least he spoke to you and did not try to insult your intelligence.

The DCP image was not too bad, it could have been better. And, it sounded like glorious mono. It certainly was a lot better presentation than what I experienced watching a DCP of A Clockwork Orange! That viewing was an utter travesty in PQ.

Have always wanted to see POTA on the big screen (unless my parents took me to see it when I was a baby) and it has my 2nd favorite movie ending of all time right behind 2001. Very small audience of roughly 10 people. But, about half the audience walked out before the end of the movie. Not sure what they were expecting!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #1304
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Unhappy Planet of the Apes @ the theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
We were going to go today, however I thought "I have this on blu-ray no need to see it on the big screen", after reading your posts we will try to make it on Wednesday to enjoy this experience! Thanks!!

I should have called first(the showing was about 45 min. away) before we went to see Planet of the Apes, I had know idea it would be $15 per ticket, too much for us.
Colts 1-2
Rams 2-1 Lions 1-2
IU 2-1 PU 2-1
Tigers 83-72
"the end is near(er)"
"For many are called, but few are chosen"
Old 07-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #1305

Aug 2010

I usually go the TCM Fathom movies on Sundays at 2pm showings. The Cinemark 17 in Springfield, Oregon is only $5 matinee pricing.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #1306
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone View Post
I usually go the TCM Fathom movies on Sundays at 2pm showings. The Cinemark 17 in Springfield, Oregon is only $5 matinee pricing.
Wow lucky. There's usually 2-3 theaters thst do them here, and they're either $12.50 (Regal), or $15 (AMC)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #1307
Expert Member

Sep 2014
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Wow lucky. There's usually 2-3 theaters thst do them here, and they're either $12.50 (Regal), or $15 (AMC)
AMC is so expensive! There's a 7pm showing today. I don't know if I should go or not. I have never seen the original movie.
Looking to buy:
Mysterious Island Encore Edition
Experiment in Terror
Our Man Flint
Old 07-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #1308
Expert Member

Jul 2008

I saw it this afternoon. It was only $8.50.

The digital projection was fine, though probably only 2K, but the element shown was not as good as what's on Blu-ray. In fairness, what's on Blu-ray has a lot of digital clean up and moderate DNR.

What TCM showed looked to me to be an interpositive made from an older internegative, so two generations from the original camera negatives.

I noticed many faint scratches and some flicker and color instability, but for the most part, it looked pretty good for a movie almost fifty years old.

Didn't care for the original mono sound, though the fidelity was good. It was fine as mono goes, but I'm spoiled by modern DD and DTS 5.1 remixes. Hearing everything coming out of the center of the screen is blah.

Glad I was able to see it in a theater again, and I'm sure it looked and sounded as good as it did when I was a kid, but I think I actually prefer watching it on my plasma now.

I hope a 4K UHD Blu-ray featuring a complete digital restoration is in the film's future.
Thanks given by:
knives>ramona (08-01-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #1309
Expert Member

Jun 2014
-
-

The original planet of the apes still makes me totally sink into the "alien" world. It, Ben Hur, and Lawrence of Arabia, can totally still compete with todays movies for best of all time.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #1310

Mar 2012

Got the 5 disc blu ray set for $18 shipped. Better than paying at theater and at $3.60 per film not even worth getting via "alternate" means.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #1311
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
Got the 5 disc blu ray set for $18 shipped. Better than paying at theater and at $3.60 per film not even worth getting via "alternate" means.
I agree completely. After what I saw at the theater, I had to come home and immediately put on the Blu-ray to remind me of how good the movie can look.

Enjoy.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #1312
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Within the Woods

First time seeing the original for me was in 1969 at the Drive-in with the family. Saw it as a Double Feature with Beneath. Guess I was about 8 at the time and shocked at the ending as most others were at first viewing. I remember vividly the over the should shot of our Lady and saying to myself what the heck is that. Beneath had me at the church worshiping scene. I'll be vague as to not give away anything. The Original POTA's film is one I've owned on 4 different formats, and countless editions. I really, really, miss the Drive-In. Lots of Good times as a kid as well as an adult ....

Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #1313
Special Member

Feb 2012
Freehold, NJ

I also attended the screening. Luckily there was a Cinemark showing it about 45 min away (and tickets were only $5). I was going to pass on it, but my father wanted to see it, since he hadn't seen it since he was a kid. While it was awesome to see it on the big screen, I also thought the image quality was a bit disappointing. That said, I'm still glad I went.

On a side note, does anyone know how that technology works? Almost every Fathom event I've gone to has had some sort of issue, particularly with sound. In this case, the first 5 min of the intro was missing audio (although I wasn't as pleased with the Dr. Zayas interview in costume compared to their normal, classier segments).
The Official Disney Animation Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=195921
Old 08-01-2016, 04:55 AM   #1314
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Didn't care for the original mono sound, though the fidelity was good. It was fine as mono goes, but I'm spoiled by modern DD and DTS 5.1 remixes. Hearing everything coming out of the center of the screen is blah.
It was in mono? Interesting; I assumed they would use one of the various stereo or 5.1 remixes that have been around all this time.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #1315
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
It was in mono? Interesting; I assumed they would use one of the various stereo or 5.1 remixes that have been around all this time.
I am rather skeptical of that claim myself, ha ha.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #1316
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Foxconnect are having a 50% off sale on Apes movies. The Legacy collection is about $16 shipped. Use code APES50

https://www.foxconnect.com/promos/pl...apes-sale.html
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #1317
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Foxconnect are having a 50% off sale on Apes movies. The Legacy collection is about $16 shipped. Use code APES50

https://www.foxconnect.com/promos/pl...apes-sale.html
Thanks. I own two editions of the original Planet of the Apes movies already, and I own the two recent reboot movies, but this sale prompted me finally to pull the trigger on the 2001 Tim Burton remake.

For the longest time, I refused to acknowledge Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes as part of the franchise, because I was so disappointed when I saw it at the theater.
[Show spoiler](What was that ending all about? Where did they get the horses on the planet?)

I've recently had a hankering to revisit the Burton film, though, because I'd like to see the Charlton Heston and Linda Harrison cameos again, I'd like to listen to Burton's commentary, and...well...I like Estella Warren, even if I'm not sure where she got her lipstick in the film.

$4.99 for that flick is enough to sway me to the dark side.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #1318
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Thanks. I own two editions of the original Planet of the Apes movies already, and I own the two recent reboot movies, but this sale prompted me finally to pull the trigger on the 2001 Tim Burton remake.

For the longest time, I refused to acknowledge Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes as part of the franchise, because I was so disappointed when I saw it at the theater.
[Show spoiler](What was that ending all about? Where did they get the horses on the planet?)

I've recently had a hankering to revisit the Burton film, though, because I'd like to see the Charlton Heston and Linda Harrison cameos again, I'd like to listen to Burton's commentary, and...well...I like Estella Warren, even if I'm not sure where she got her lipstick in the film.

The Burton movie was a huge fail for me.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #1319

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

I don't get it why do people hate the 2001 one. I like it better than the most recent reboot.

Last edited by Class316; 08-02-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #1320
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

The Tim Burton movie is certainly different, but I like it. Tim Roth is excellent in it.
Thanks given by:
HonestJohn (08-02-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America