Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Batman Movie (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.86
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$45.79
Stormy Monday (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Split (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Nice Guys (Blu-ray)
$7.00
The Stendhal Syndrome (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Maurice (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #401

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
2D SDR ?????
I assume he means 2D Standard Defenition Resolution, right?
60" Samsung 3D Plasma PN60E550D1F (ISF Calibrated)
7.1 Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH - Roku 3 (4200)
Panasonic DMP-BDT330 - Oppo DV-970HD
Onkyo DX-C220 - JVC HRA591U VHS

Center: Advent Mini; Front: Advent Legacy III; Surrounds: Advent Legacy II; Surround Back: Advent Prodigy Tower; Subwoofer: Yamaha YST‑SW305
Thanks given by:
revgen (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #402
Expert Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
I assume he means 2D Standard Defenition Resolution, right?
Nope. Standard Dynamic Range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_dynamic_range

Plasmas don't support HDR (High Dynamic Range), while the 2016 and 2017 OLED's do. So, if you're interested in watching HDR content, upgrading to an OLED would make more sense.

Last edited by revgen; 07-13-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #403

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

Plasmas don't support HDR (High Dynamic Range), while the 2016 and 2017 OLED's do. So, if you're interested in watching HDR content, upgrading to an OLED would make more sense.
Thanks for clarifying, that makes total sense!

Center: Advent Mini; Front: Advent Legacy III; Surrounds: Advent Legacy II; Surround Back: Advent Prodigy Tower; Subwoofer: Yamaha YST‑SW305
Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #404

Aug 2009
Midlothian, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

I understand that. That's why I'm asking if I should get the lg oled. My plasma doesn't oviously have hdr 4K etc. I'm wondering is it replay worth it? My samsung plasma has been awesome and is still great. But everytime I look at the lg it looks so awesome. However that is always on demo display in the stores. For normal tv watching and sports watching and blus is it a huge upgrade or just stick with my plasma? I own some 4K blus and starting bluing the combo packs for one day. But 3700 is a lot of it's not really worth it.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #405

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mph62 View Post
I understand that. That's why I'm asking if I should get the lg oled. My plasma doesn't oviously have hdr 4K etc. I'm wondering is it replay worth it? My samsung plasma has been awesome and is still great. But everytime I look at the lg it looks so awesome. However that is always on demo display in the stores. For normal tv watching and sports watching and blus is it a huge upgrade or just stick with my plasma? I own some 4K blus and starting bluing the combo packs for one day. But 3700 is a lot of it's not really worth it.
Personally, I have friends with OLED 3D TV's and I, too, have a Sammy Plammy.

Though OLED looks nice, I still can't justify making the big dip myself. I love how Plasma looks, but mainly because I can still notice motion blur on the OLED.

Though I'm not certain if your Sammy is 3D, here's my 2 cents on that part:
The 3D in my opinion doesn't look as good on the OLED as it does on my Sammy (but to be fair, my 3D is calibrated and the OLED wasn't) and even though the colors are more vibrant, I favor color accuracy over "pop" (my tv was ISF calibrated, the OLED was not). Also touching on the 3D, though good on OLED, but there's no 4K 3D so, the plasma still does the job fine.

In the end, I guess it's up to you and what your focus/goal is for your HT setup. Moreover, I'm sure if you ISF Calibrate the OLED, it'll look even better than the Sammy Plammy, but it may still suffer of some blur.

I think you'll be fine waiting a bit longer if 3D isn't a factor you're wanting in an OLED to allow the market to balance out and make them even more affordable/desireable.

Thanks given by:
101mph62 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #406

Aug 2009
Midlothian, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
Personally, I have friends with OLED 3D TV's and I, too, have a Sammy Plammy.

Though OLED looks nice, I still can't justify making the big dip myself. I love how Plasma looks, but mainly because I can still notice motion blur on the OLED.

Though I'm not certain if your Sammy is 3D, here's my 2 cents on that part:
The 3D in my opinion doesn't look as good on the OLED as it does on my Sammy (but to be fair, my 3D is calibrated and the OLED wasn't) and even though the colors are more vibrant, I favor color accuracy over "pop" (my tv was ISF calibrated, the OLED was not). Also touching on the 3D, though good on OLED, but there's no 4K 3D so, the plasma still does the job fine.

In the end, I guess it's up to you and what your focus/goal is for your HT setup. Moreover, I'm sure if you ISF Calibrate the OLED, it'll look even better than the Sammy Plammy, but it may still suffer of some blur.

I think you'll be fine waiting a bit longer if 3D isn't a factor you're wanting in an OLED to allow the market to balance out and make them even more affordable/desireable.

I have the pn64d8000 which is 3d. I've used once in 6 years so I could care less about 3D. Everytime I'm in BB the lg just look so nice. Thing for me as well is id have to buy another receiver cause my only onkyo 818 doesn't do 4K pass through I believe so I'd be buyin a new receiver, tv and 4K blu player. I guess for me it's really just the appearance of the lg everytime I see it.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #407
Power Member

Aug 2011
DFW, TX

the oppo 203 has separate outs so you can do one to the tv for video and one to the receiver for audio, that way you don't have to worry about buying another receiver
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #408

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron82 View Post
the oppo 203 has separate outs so you can do one to the tv for video and one to the receiver for audio, that way you don't have to worry about buying another receiver
That's what I was about to suggest! My receiver doesn't do 3D Passthrough, so I had to buy a player with dual HDMI outs. Same applies for 4K! Cheaper options FTW!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #409
Expert Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mph62 View Post
For normal viewing purposes, I'd just keep your plasma for now.

I went from a Samsung F8500 plasma to my current 65E6 OLED display. While I'll admit that normal bluray's look better on the OLED, it's not a huge difference like the 3-D and the HDR. I wouldn't have sold my F8500 and paid for the E6 for an incremental improvement in picture quality.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs