Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #41

Feb 2012

Very considered arguments from all but the fact remains that the very best in 3d blu ray are all in full screen.

Jurassic park
Tangled
Pacific rim
Sammy 1 & 2
Madagascar 3
Titanic

These movies look amazing no matter what 3d set up you have!!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #42

Feb 2012
WBShop Resolution?.. or should that be Aspect ratio?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?
BigJayJay,
Just noticed on my bluray player the zoom works when playing a 3d bluray disc on a non-zoomable tv.The model is Oppo 103eu.,happens to be the multi-regional version., but is generic.I think this is the only solution my friend to your question.The Oppo I mention is an affordable high-end product so good luck.,you should get one for under 600.00 UK pounds., multi-regional too! (the zoom feature can also just 'stretch' the image resulting in zero loss of image from both left & right sides)
Let me know how you get on.,meanwhile I'm chuffed to bits after discovering this.. thanks to this thread which put the thought in my head to try zooming using the players' controls.,just to think I've been suffering enduring black bars for nearly a year now... STREWTH!
Wazza.

Last edited by Wazza.J; 03-26-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #43

Feb 2012
Default ..or not to crop.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
No director should have to compromise how he creates a film, because someone is upset about black bars.

If a filmmaker wants to shoot a film 1.66, 1.85, 2.35 or 2.55, it's their choice.

The amount of money of money they are "leaving on the table" is miniscule to what would happen to overall sales if they compromised their original film by cropping it from 2.35 to 1.78.

fitprod
Movies if filmed digitally can be presented on a bluray disc however.,just depending on desired disc presentation so how a movie is filmed is irrelevant to this thread/argument/debate.,as most flicks these days ARE filmed digitally.
eg,take a look at ghost protocols' bd.,its 'imax' scenes where presented on its' release in the 2.35,as I say,all just a matter of presentation nowadays.
Wazza
Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #44

Feb 2012
Default point missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L. View Post
How for the love of God can a thread like this even exist on this forum of all places.

I expect this when I'm at my parents house or my in-laws or something but not on a board blatantly called Blu-ray.com of all things. Me and my brother went in together and bought my parents a 50'' HDTV for Christmas to replace the small 32'' one I bought for them three years ago and sure enough the first thing they did when I got it hooked up and left the room is zoom the screen in cutting off half of everything. Ugh, I don't even try to explain it to them anymore. It drives me too insane and I come off looking like a dick, lol.
You,my friend,ARE MISSING THE POINT!
Wazza
Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-

It must be horrible to be annoyed by something so trivial.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #46

Mar 2013
Australia

I don't think its unreasonable for someone even with a 100 inch tv to want all 100 inches of screen filled. Certain movies like Wreck It Ralph would be even better with it filling the entire screen, i.e Yogi bear and Sammy. But it is what it is. Don't get me wrong if someone is happy with the black bars thats great, considering most the films out have black bars. Still its better with out.

Just my 2 cents in this the thread of resurrection.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #47

Feb 2012
Default ;0)

..love the way you added,''..still its better without.''
.. coz I heartedly agree.,3d presented without bars is better,and that's the point here.
Wazza.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #48

Apr 2009
Long Island N,Y,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?
I did not go through all these posts, so forgive me if its already been said but you can use the zoom on your tv to get rid of the bars but unfortunately with that you will also loose some of the picture (left and right side). Most Bluray's are widescreen which is how the picture was filmed so to give you a wider view.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #49
Expert Member

Nov 2008

There are people who love movies and then there are people who think movies are there to make their TV set look good.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #50

Jun 2012

This tread made me laugh and got be back to DVD 1997 era where people would return their DVD players because of defective discs. Black Bars on top and bottom...LOL..I love OAR, no matter what it is, however I do prefer 2.35:1!!! I was in 8th grade when DVDs came out and been in love with OAR since my dad owned LaserDiscs. To this day, 1.78:1 just looks weird. I know for example Air Force One is one of those movies that is Open Matte and actually you lose picture in the 2.35:1 mode, but I still love it like that!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoagogo69 View Post
Very considered arguments from all but the fact remains that the very best in 3d blu ray are all in full screen.

Jurassic park
Tangled
Pacific rim
Sammy 1 & 2
Madagascar 3
Titanic

These movies look amazing no matter what 3d set up you have!!

Flying Swords of Dragonsgate
HTTYD
M v A
Polar Express
A Christmas Carol
Cars 2
Hobbit AUJ
Great Gatsby
Dread 3d
Oz Great and Powerful
Wreck it Ralph
etc.......

Just to name a few great examples of 2.35/40 3d. Point being there are great examples of 3d in 1.78 and scope as well and we should be happy we are getting OAR.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #52

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinL View Post
This tread made me laugh and got be back to DVD 1997 era where people would return their DVD players because of defective discs.
Fullscreen bozos haven't changed a bit since the days of the 4:3 tube.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies