Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #1021

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWF View Post
Only the extras are being dropped. The AIP dub and the other dub are still included. I PM'd one of the dudes who runs MB on Facebook and he told me.
Well, that is certainly surprising if true. I thought the inclusion of the AIP dub on the first release was the main thing that caused Toho to freak out.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #1022

Mar 2011

No? It was always the extras that weren't vetted by Toho that infuriated them.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #1023

Sep 2012
Sweden
Send a message via AIM to MechaGodzilla Send a message via MSN to MechaGodzilla

Yeah, the main stupid thing Media Blasters did IIRC was include trailers for movies they don't even own the rights to.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #1024

Oct 2011

Good thing I still have my DAM bluray. Now all I need is Godzilla vs Megalon. I don't even care if it has features or not.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #1025

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWF View Post
Only the extras are being dropped. The AIP dub and the other dub are still included. I PM'd one of the dudes who runs MB on Facebook and he told me.
I have a feeling you are wrong and your MB-facebook contact just doesn't know any better. He probably is unaware that there are two English tracks and thinks the English track is the AIP dub, when in fact it's the Toho English track. The new back-cover artwork posted above also just indicates the one English track for this new release, where the earlier release indicated two.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #1026

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interrobang View Post
No? It was always the extras that weren't vetted by Toho that infuriated them.
I see this statement thrown around as fact all the time. Has it ever been confirmed in writing anywhere by Toho that it was ONLY the extras they had a problem with? I remember also reading that it was only the "photo gallery" they had a problem with. But I have never seen any corroboration on any of this except speculation on these forums from people who spout out this information as if they were in Toho's boardroom when all this was going down. I have no concrete info, but I bet Toho objected to EVERYTHING including all the extras and especially the inclusion of the AIP dub. Otherwise, why is the AIP dub apparently being deleted from this reissue (as it appears to be from the back cover) if they had no problems with it?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #1027

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
I have a feeling you are wrong and your MB-facebook contact just doesn't know any better. He probably is unaware that there are two English tracks and thinks the English track is the AIP dub, when in fact it's the Toho English track. The new back-cover artwork posted above also just indicates the one English track for this new release, where the earlier release indicated two.
Guess we will find out. Although someone who works for MB should know whats on it. Mine has two English dubs and the Japanese language version. I cant see the new being any different...but minus any extras
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #1028

Feb 2014

Quote:
I see this statement thrown around as fact all the time. Has it ever been confirmed in writing anywhere by Toho that it was ONLY the extras they had a problem with? I remember also reading that it was only the "photo gallery" they had a problem with. But I have never seen any corroboration on any of this except speculation on these forums from people who spout out this information as if they were in Toho's boardroom when all this was going down. I have no concrete info, but I bet Toho objected to EVERYTHING including all the extras and especially the inclusion of the AIP dub. Otherwise, why is the AIP dub apparently being deleted from this reissue (as it appears to be from the back cover) if they had no problems with it?
A lot of us heard it was only the extras causing the problem - read KPAs comments here or on SciFi Japan..
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #1029

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinep View Post
A lot of us heard it was only the extras causing the problem - read KPAs comments here or on SciFi Japan..
Yes, but if you look at the original Blu-Ray's back cover, the AIP dub is listed as an extra - so technically that falls into the same category as all the other special features.

And I have read KPA's comments as he is the biggest expert on these films and their legal tangles. I just don't remember if he ever came out and said as FACT that Toho had no problem at all about the AIP dub or not. And it's not like Toho has to say anything to anyone about this except to Media Blasters directly, so maybe no one out there knows for sure. But it does look like the AIP dub is going to be missing this time around along with the other extras, but we shall see eventually.

EDIT:

On closer look at the earlier Blu's back cover, the Special Features listing an English audio track may have been referring to the audio for the special features themselves, and not the AIP track. I also have the DVD version and it doesn't list the second English track on the back cover at all. So who knows?!?! Maybe it WILL be on there again. I just could never see the logic in Toho objecting to a harmless photo gallery and having NO problem at all with an American dub track that makes their in-house produced English dub look and sound inferior. But that's just more unsubstantiated speculation on my part.

Last edited by iamnoone; 04-21-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #1030

Oct 2012

Quote:
This was my guess too. I'm sure a rep actually said that, but I bet he didn't know what he was saying.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #1031

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post

Monster against monster for the lost continent of Mu? The kingdom is called Seatopia, not Mu! Mu was in Atragon!!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #1032

Apr 2014
Oa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewylewis View Post
Monster against monster for the lost continent of Mu? The kingdom is called Seatopia, not Mu! Mu was in Atragon!!
Oh My! Is that really the actual back cover of the release? Did they mess up that bad that they couldn't distinguish between two movies and their appropriately named underwater sea kingdoms?!! Sheesh
"Monsters are tragic beings, they are not evil by choice. They're born too tall, too strong, too heavy, that is their tragedy." Ishiro Honda
Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #1033

Apr 2011
Default Destroy All Monsters

My brother used to sarcastically call this film "Destroy All Ree-Aks," 'cause he said that was the sound they all made. Anyway, softness be damned, day one for me!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #1034
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

That mistake goes back some time. You can even see it on this VHS cover

And also in ths San Antonio Newspaper ad from 1976: http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/62171289/

Last edited by MifuneFan; 04-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America