Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Iron Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Iron Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gone Girl (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (Blu-ray)
$12.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 AM   #1821
Special Member

Apr 2013
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRaiders228 View Post
Alright guys need some advice in my cart I got:

Places Beyond the Pines
Prisoners
The Other Woman
The Maze Runner
Bad Words
Bad Lieutenant
No Good Deed
Legend Of Hercules
Pompeii
How To Train Your Dragon 2
I Frankenstein
Broken City
Side Effects
Sex Tape
Monuments Men
Giver
Tammy
Purge: Anarchy
Non-Stop
Transcendence
Draft Day
Brick Mansions

Gonna cost me about $145 should I pull the trigger? or trim some of the titles out of this
Dump Sex Tape and Tammy. Both are horrid.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #1822
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

I got a couple used BDs from Family Video and Gohastings recently (my first purchases in months or maybe even a year). If I peel off those round rental stickers on the center hub and it leaves some goo, is it safe to use in a player or will the disc stick to the spindle-grabber mechanism? I've never watched modern players to see if the disc gets grabbed from top and bottom or just the bottom.

I'm sure buried in this thread somewhere is a description of what to use (such as Goo Gone) to get rid of the goo those stickers leave without ruining the disc, but finding it in a long thread is beyond my puny abilities. I have loads of Ronsonol which I use as a cheap alternative to Goo Gone. Would that be safe on the discs?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #1823

Sep 2011
Exclamation Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxx View Post
I got a couple used BDs from Family Video and Gohastings recently (my first purchases in months or maybe even a year). If I peel off those round rental stickers on the center hub and it leaves some goo, is it safe to use in a player or will the disc stick to the spindle-grabber mechanism?
Leave the stickers on. They will leave a strong glue residue that will mess up your player. They may be an eyesore, but the adhesive is really strong and chemicals that could clean it might compromise the disc.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #1824
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Nightcrawler and Alexander and the Terrible... dropped to $8.49.

Gone Girl and A Walk Among the Tombstones dropped to $6.99.

All of those are retail.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #1825

Feb 2007
Union County NJ

Quote:
I got a couple used BDs from Family Video and Gohastings recently (my first purchases in months or maybe even a year). If I peel off those round rental stickers on the center hub and it leaves some goo, is it safe to use in a player or will the disc stick to the spindle-grabber mechanism? I've never watched modern players to see if the disc gets grabbed from top and bottom or just the bottom.

I'm sure buried in this thread somewhere is a description of what to use (such as Goo Gone) to get rid of the goo those stickers leave without ruining the disc, but finding it in a long thread is beyond my puny abilities. I have loads of Ronsonol which I use as a cheap alternative to Goo Gone. Would that be safe on the discs?
I peel all of mine off and then use a piece of tape pressed down on the adhesive and lift it off. I've done that to about 100 discs and no issues so far.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #1826

Jan 2012

Quote:
A few years back, GoHastings sent me a DVD that someone had removed the hub sticker from. I didn't noticed the residue before putting the disc in my player. When I ejected the tray after watching the movie, the disc wasn't there. I ended up shaking it loose and managed to prying it out, but the player never worked right after that. I ended up trashing it a few months later.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #1827
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiendCameron View Post
Dump Sex Tape and Tammy. Both are horrid.
I was actually going to suggest that he/she dump No Good Deed and I Frankenstein. Both are much worse, IMO.
BIG Chloe Grace Moretz fan! LET'S GO PENS! Blu-ray 3D supporter!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #1828

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
A few years back, GoHastings sent me a DVD that someone had removed the hub sticker from. I didn't noticed the residue before putting the disc in my player. When I ejected the tray after watching the movie, the disc wasn't there. I ended up shaking it loose and managed to prying it out, but the player never worked right after that. I ended up trashing it a few months later.
I had a similar experience, but had to take a part my OPPO blu ray to dislodge the stuck disc. I personally wouldn't mess with it. What's the benefit in removing it? Joe..wasn't necessarily addressing the question to you, was directed towards those that want to remove the sticker..want to make sure I'm not missing something from a disc performance stand point.
HT Items for sale: Buttkicker, Acoustic Panels,JBL 8340A speakers, A-lens mount http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=250991

Last edited by ronboster; 03-17-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #1829
Expert Member

Jan 2011
DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboster View Post
I had a similar experience, but had to take a part my OPPO blu ray to dislodge the stuck disc. I personally wouldn't mess with it. What's the benefit in removing it?
Sleeping better at night?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:16 AM   #1830
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

The only reason to remove the hub stickers is OCD-ness. It just doesn't look right to me and reminds me it's a rental disc. However, given the comments above I'll just leave them on as I don't want to harm the player. Clearly some part of the grabber mechanism must touch the top of the disc too.

Maybe I can take a black Sharpie marker and transform the white hub sticker with the printing on it into solid blackness. At least that would look better to me. Does anyone think using a black Sharpie on the hub sticker will harm the disc? I know it's unlikely, but I've been warned some pen chemicals can go through the disc's protective layer (and possibly the sticker) and harm it.

OCD is a sad thing. It's the same way I have to replace crappy looking DVD/BD cases with good looking ones. Too bad I can't cheaply hire ninfan81 with his magic fingers to remove the hub stickers with tape. I doubt I could do it correctly. I'm very non-mechanical. I'm the opposite of a handy-man. I'm an unhandy-man. The only things I'm good at are computers and electronics (and complaining and posting long messages and rambling and so on and so on...)
Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #1831
Special Member

Apr 2013
Riverside, CA

Quote:
The only reason to remove the hub stickers is OCD-ness. It just doesn't look right to me and reminds me it's a rental disc. However, given the comments above I'll just leave them on as I don't want to harm the player. Clearly some part of the grabber mechanism must touch the top of the disc too.

Maybe I can take a black Sharpie marker and transform the white hub sticker with the printing on it into solid blackness. At least that would look better to me. Does anyone think using a black Sharpie on the hub sticker will harm the disc? I know it's unlikely, but I've been warned some pen chemicals can go through the disc's protective layer (and possibly the sticker) and harm it.

OCD is a sad thing. It's the same way I have to replace crappy looking DVD/BD cases with good looking ones. Too bad I can't cheaply hire ninfan81 with his magic fingers to remove the hub stickers with tape. I doubt I could do it correctly. I'm very non-mechanical. I'm the opposite of a handy-man. I'm an unhandy-man. The only things I'm good at are computers and electronics (and complaining and posting long messages and rambling and so on and so on...)
Back in the day, working at a game store, I used 2 methods for removing stickers from discs. Either heat, or lighter fluid. Heat, we used our shrinkwrap machine, which had an attached hairdrier. Put it close to the hairdrier and the glue will get sticky again, and then you can remove it in one piece and wipe off the glue. Or you can dab some lighter fluid on it and it'll eat away at the glue and all that jazz. Of course you need to be careful with both, but they work.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #1832

Sep 2010

My copy of Big Hero 6 came with a slipcover.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #1833
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiendCameron View Post
Back in the day, working at a game store, I used 2 methods for removing stickers from discs. Either heat, or lighter fluid. Heat, we used our shrinkwrap machine, which had an attached hairdrier. Put it close to the hairdrier and the glue will get sticky again, and then you can remove it in one piece and wipe off the glue. Or you can dab some lighter fluid on it and it'll eat away at the glue and all that jazz. Of course you need to be careful with both, but they work.
Yes, Ronsonol = lighter fluid (the cheaper alternative to Goo Gone) is what I use for cleaning cases, but I've never used it on a disc as I'm worried the chemicals might get through the protective layer and harm the disc even if I just dab it. I'd also worry about heat warping the disc or sliding the dual layers out of alignment.

As proper sticker removal requires time and patience (and skill) which I usually don't have, after the responses above I'm just going to live with the hub stickers or use a Sharpie to make them all black. I actually think it's the writing on the hub stickers that bothers me more than the presence of a circular white sticker itself. I don't want to be reminded these are rentals when I play them (once in a blue moon). That my OCD talking.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #1834

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Anderson View Post
[/SPOILER]

"The Other Woman" (23%), "No Good Deed" (10%), "The Legend of Hercules" (3%), "Pompeii" (29%), "I, Frankenstein" (3%), "Broken City" (28%), "Sex Tape" (17%), "Tammy" (23%), "Transcendence" (19%), & "Brick Mansions" (26%) all have terrible reviews so i would pass on them, although i have not seen any of them to be fair. "The Giver" & "Monuments Men" don't have very good reviews either, i personally didn't like "Draft Day" & thought "Purge: Anarchy" was just okay and wouldn't recommend blind buying it (unless you have/like the first one). There i just saved you $100 I agree with Shrex tho i would definitely get "Prisoners" & "The Place Beyond the Pines", i also recommend "Bad Words", "Non-Stop", "How to Train Your Dragon 2" & "Side Effects".

Also i'm not sure what you already have, but if you don't have any of the following i would recommend them; "American Hustle", "Neighbors", "Bad Grandpa" & "Elysium" (all $5 each used).

Thanks for the input! And yeah I already own the ones you added at the bottom of the list and I do have the first Purge so I wanna add the second one to my collection
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #1835
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Memphis, TN (for now...)
I know this has not made the list yet, but can someone confirm whether or not Whiplash is a retail version or rental version? Thanks in advance.
My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...er=wnicholas76

Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #1836
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Some updates.

Additions:
Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 - $9.99 -- rental edition
Foxcatcher - $9.99 -- retail

Price Drops:
Dumb and Dumber To - $8.49
Dying of the Light - $8.49 -- rental
The Interview - $8.49
St. Vincent - $8.49
Annabelle - $6.99
Boxtrolls - $6.99
Lucy - $6.99

So all the movies listed above are retail, except for Hunger Games and Dying of the Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnicholas76 View Post
I know this has not made the list yet, but can someone confirm whether or not Whiplash is a retail version or rental version? Thanks in advance.
That one is retail, but I don't know if it will even make it to the website. The store here only got 1 copy on blu-ray and you don't usually see those hit the website. If it does, I'm sure it will sell out quick.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #1837
Special Member

Feb 2013
Janesville, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwoArms View Post

That one is retail, but I don't know if it will even make it to the website. The store here only got 1 copy on blu-ray and you don't usually see those hit the website. If it does, I'm sure it will sell out quick.
Ya, i don't think their site ever got any used copies of Boyhood, and i think Whiplash was even more limited, at least theaters wise. Although sometimes they get random straight to DVD titles so who knows.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #1838
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (retail) added for $9.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Anderson View Post
Ya, i don't think their site ever got any used copies of Boyhood, and i think Whiplash was even more limited, at least theaters wise. Although sometimes they get random straight to DVD titles so who knows.
I never did see Boyhood get added either. I was actually surprised Foxcatcher was added. I doubt that one will last long.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals