Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #401

Feb 2008

I just did the 2.1 update on my BD55. This was my first update on the player! Not sure I can tell to much difference at this point. But at least it's done.

Panasonic will not do any further updates to the BD55?
The Saint will return!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #402

Dec 2008
NY

When was the last firm wear released and do you think there will be anymore for it?
Samsung HL-T6176S 1080P DLP
Panasonic DMP BD55
Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1
Samsung PN50A650 1080P Plasma
Panasonic DMP BD 85 K
Samsung LN32C530F1F 1080 P LCD
Panasonic DMP BD10 A
Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #403
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE.G View Post
When was the last firm wear released and do you think there will be anymore for it?
The last firmware udate for the Pasasonic DMP-BD55 was released April 26, 2010. It is the version 2.2

@ http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...5/bd55_na.html

--> Panasonic will still release firmware updates for this player as long they'll see it fit; which means a very long time in my humble estimation.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 05-31-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: -->
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #404
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

The best place to get answers to these kinds of questions is one of the Panasonic sites such as the one "Lord" links to above.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 05-31-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Cross post duplication.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #405

Oct 2008
NY

I have had the player since it came out. It decided to crap out. What fun!!! I just bought the BD-65, it plays fantastically. I now have to find a place to repair the 55 or just junk it. What do you think?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #406
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

What exactly is player doing? How did it "crap out"?

I'd think you need to find out what exactly is wrong with it (and how much your local authorized service center's [likely non-refundable if you decline the repair] diagnostic fee is). Only then will you be able to make an informed decision about whether or not you think it's worth it to repair.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #407

Dec 2008
NY

I am having trouble with Panny's website whats the newest Firm Ware for teh BD 55?
Samsung HL-T6176S 1080P DLP
Panasonic DMP BD55
Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1
Samsung PN50A650 1080P Plasma
Panasonic DMP BD 85 K
Samsung LN32C530F1F 1080 P LCD
Panasonic DMP BD10 A
Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #408

Dec 2008
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTRITIONWORKS View Post
I have had the player since it came out. It decided to crap out. What fun!!! I just bought the BD-65, it plays fantastically. I now have to find a place to repair the 55 or just junk it. What do you think?
Does the BD-65 does wireless streaming? I'm looking for a wireless one to replace my BD-55 Panny.

Charles
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #409
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
Does the BD-65 does wireless streaming? I'm looking for a wireless one to replace my BD-55 Panny.

Charles
Wireless, NO.
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Sony 65" 4K HDR X900E, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #410

Feb 2008

Does anyone know of a good mod for this bd player to make it blu ray region free? Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!
The Saint will return!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #411
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
The last firmware udate for the Pasasonic DMP-BD55 was released April 26, 2010. It is the version 2.2

@ http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...5/bd55_na.html

--> Panasonic will still release firmware updates for this player as long they'll see it fit; which means a very long time in my humble estimation.
it is now 2.3
LG 55UB950 UHD LED TV
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Panasonic DMP-BD35 region B and ABC and Sony BDP-S790 Video and Audio through HDMI.
YAMAHA Receiver and JBL+ BOSE and Acoustic subwoofer 7.1
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #412
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

^^
That's too bad. My BD 55 has none of those problems. I got it when the model was first released and it's had moderate use since then.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #413
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywine View Post
It won't play the latest discs such as the Girl with the Dragon tatoo.
Even after several call to Panasonic and wasting 30 buck on an 8 gig card that was supposed to fix the locking up, pixilating, frame freeze problems by giving it extra buffering it is still a POS. Three years old and obsolete already.

Can't wait till 1080 streaming becomes common this POS is going to the Salvation Army !
You're new, BrandyWine, so I suppose some "slack" is in order. But to elevate the level of discourse a bit and use the forum as more than just a "b*itch box," to the extent you want a little help it would be beneficial to know a little more.

What other titles are you having issues with? TGWtDT is from a fairly new, boutique distributor, Music Box Films. It is highly likely that the issues you're experiencing are software-specific and attributable to some new authoring tools used on the disc. It is hardly uncommon for this to happen with new titles.

As a former owner, I know the very well-reviewed BD55 to be far from a "POS." What firmware version are you on--the latest?

The process by which these kinds of issues get resolved is that people complain online / contact their player manufacturer, the manuf becomes aware of the issue and most but not all of the time a firmware upgrade is released to address issues specific to (a) certain disc(s). Stay on Panasonic and document your dialogue with them. If a firmware upgrade gets issued for this title (the profile of which will rise even further when the David Fincher version streets in just a month from now), you might be able to successfully argue for some compensation (the price of the memory card you bought).

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 02-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #414

Jan 2008
Default Works perfectly

Bought the BD55 the first day available, October 2008. It has been used several times a week since then. It is connected via Ethernet for updates. Has a SD card installed, but don't use BD Live.

Have NEVER had ANY problems with it.
Sony: KDS-R70XBR2
Panasonic: DMP-BD55K
Denon: AVR-887
Klipcsh: Reference Series
Front: RB61, Center: RC62, Side/Back: CD5650C, Sub: RW10d
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #415
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

My comments about Music Box being a boutique distribber shouldn't be construed to indicate that these authoring issues are exclusive to smaller companies. There's a ton of precedent to the contrary. I simply meant to say they're often disproportionate with the smaller distribbers. Fox' Like Water For Elephants is also a new title, I think released just last November. Have you bothered to click around and see if others are having issues with that disc? The Conspirator is a Lionsgate title; they're notorious for authoring issues.

Firmware version 2.4 for the 55 was released last October, just four months ago. The version prior to that preceded it by only two months. It's at best arguable that "Panasonic is not properly supporting the "old" . . . players and just want to force you into buying a new one." I'm sorry you were apparently led to believe that external memory would resolve your issues. But this is hardly the first time a manuf's rep has suggested something that did not provide resolution.

Regarding (the veiled accusation in) your last two sentences: First, only two people have responded to your post (which revived a six-month old thread). Second, I said in my prior post that I am a former 55 owner. I sold it to get the (3D-capable) BDT350. In any event, I don't own TGWtDT. Third, what for you was/is a "bad bargain" for me (and Tigerbert) was/is an excellent performer.

I suggest you continue to do some more homework/research online (including looking at the AVSForum 55 owner's thread) and continuing your dialogue with Panasonic. Get a case number if you haven't and pursue Panny regarding a fw upgrade for the issues you're experiencing with these titles. Finally, it should go without saying but I trust that all of these discs are clean / in good condition / not Netflix rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywine View Post
It has 2.4 firmware (the latest), it has the 8 gig card that was claimed to be the fix. Water for Elephants and Conspirator are not moviebox releases and do the same stuff. It took me four "turn it on and off. reload the disc" cycles to watch Water for Elephants and then it still froze up 11 minutes into the movie.
My wife's brand new (cheaper) BD 75 plays all those title without a hitch.
Panasonic is not properly supporting the "old" (3 years) players and just want to force you into buying a new one. My son, who works "in the valley" tells me that Blu Ray and streaming are both going away and we'll be getting our media on 50 gig+ SC cards ( a double stack Blu Ray is 50 gig) and that will be the real fix (no moving parts).
Since I have the maximum package on Direct TV, I'll just wait until these new releases show up there and content myself with watching "old" movies from Netflix.
I did notice none of you are claiming to have played any of the titles I mentioned on your BD 55, trouble free.
As honest Abe (speaking of Mary Todd) said: When you make a bad bargain you tend to cling to it all the tighter."

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 02-17-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #416
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

That is most unfortunate. I hope my copy of Dragon Tattoo works. I don't have the newest firmware but I've had nothing but success with my BD55. Maybe yours is faulty in some way?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #417

Feb 2008

I recently started having issues with my BD55. During blu ray movies it will at times freeze up during play back or start skipping like it's having trouble reading discs. The discs are usually fine and I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong. So...

I really would like to pick up an Oppo blu ray player, but don't have $500 to throw down right now.

I did pick up a Sony blu ray player during the holidays. Sony BDP-8X18. It works great and is much faster with blu ray discs.
However, I noticed it doesn't handle DVD playback as well as my older Oppo DVD player. I see some rainbowing at times with some DVD's on the Sony blu ray.

Anyway. My Panasonic BD55 is not being used at the moment. I'm really not sure what has happened to it. Maybe it is defective after just 3 years? I don't believe it's a software issue.
The Saint will return!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #418
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

I've played Margin Call on my BD55 with no problems. Original firmware from October 2008. No SD card.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #419
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Original firmware from October 2008.
Interesting. Curious as to what has made you leave the player at the original fw, BIslander. 'Don't fix what isn't broken'?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #420
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Yes. It plays every disc just fine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders