Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #221

Dec 2008
Boston, MA

I edited it.

That clears up a lot of confusion for me. Much appreciated!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #222

May 2008
Mesa, AZ

Purchased the player just a month ago and I must say that I LOVE IT! Especially for the fact that is the best equipped, smallest, one of the fastest, and one of the best priced players! Oh and I can use my Harmony 880 with it (not like a PS3 where it uses Bluetooth crap!). I would never trade my player for any other one whatsoever.
XBOX ONE (500GB)
PS4 (500GB)
XBOX 360 S (250GB)
PS3 SLIM (120GB)
PANASONIC TC-P42S1
YAMAHA RX-V863
KLIPSCH RB-61, RC-52, RS-42, RW-10d
HARMONY 880
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #223

Dec 2008
Texas

I don't even have a 55 yet (have a PS3 and a BD35), but will be getting one soon and I'm sure I'll love it.

However, I can use my Harmony 880 with my PS3 just fine.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #224

May 2008
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
I don't even have a 55 yet (have a PS3 and a BD35), but will be getting one soon and I'm sure I'll love it.

However, I can use my Harmony 880 with my PS3 just fine.
So I assume you enjoy a large USB IR sensor sticking out the front of your PS3?
XBOX ONE (500GB)
PS4 (500GB)
XBOX 360 S (250GB)
PS3 SLIM (120GB)
PANASONIC TC-P42S1
YAMAHA RX-V863
KLIPSCH RB-61, RC-52, RS-42, RW-10d
HARMONY 880
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #225

Dec 2008
Boston, MA

Crazy89:

I notice that you have the Sharp LC-46D64U. I have the year old version, 62U, and enjoy it immensely. We have 8 windows in our family room, and of course, that's where the HT is.

I was wondering if you notice a significant difference of the 120hz vs. 60hz in terms of blu-rays, specifically. Any guidance as to how to tweak the settings after a good calibration so that they look better?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #226

Dec 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
We have 8 windows in our family room, and of course, that's where the HT is.
So which is it? A family room or a home theater? Or did you mean you have some home theater equipment in your family room?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #227

Dec 2008
Default Panasonic 55 Questions

I am considering a 55 as my first BR player. I have an audio question that I have not been able to find the answer to in the 55 owner's manual I downloaded.

1) I have a pretty good 2 channel analog audio system that I will use for front L&R. I have a separate powered sub. I plan to purchase two powered monitor speakers for rear L&R. I intend to run 5.1 with no center channel. All connections will be made to the 55 analog outs. To set-up and balance the audio, I will pre-set the volume controls on all my audio gear, then dial the audio in with the 55's volume and delay settings. All is good. But I will have no MASTER volume control to turn the overall sound up/down/mute unless the 55 has a master volume capability. All this to ask if the 55 has master volume capability? If not - are there master volume control boxes available?

2) I assume if I tell the 55 I have no center channel, that it will simulate a center channel in the front L&R. True?

3) Is the audio and video of a standard DVD played through the 55 as good or better than playing the standard DVD through a good non BR up-converting player? I want one player that does an excellent job with standard and BR discs.

4) In you opinion, is it worth repurchasing DVDs I currently own to get the BR version. How much difference is there? Or does it depend on the vintage of the movie?

Thanks for the advice
Old 12-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #228

Dec 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEightyNine View Post
So I assume you enjoy a large USB IR sensor sticking out the front of your PS3?
You assume wrong. There's nothing sticking out the front of my PS3.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #229

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post
Question for you guys, I have a yamaha 5935 reciever without hdmi, so i will be using analog with the bd55. The reciever has a decent amount of adjustments which can be adjusted without affecting the digital inputs, which is nice. One of those settings is to set my speakers as large or small. I want them set to large. Should I set them as large in both the reciever and the player? Also, in order to get the best sound out of the reciever I had the bass volume turned up to the max db of 10 with my digital inputs. Since the analog usually requires an adittional 10db boost, I don't know what to do. Wouldn't that hypothetically mean I would need it set to +20? I can only add 10db, anybody with a yamaha reciever have this problem? Do the yammys need the +10 db boost even with digital, making the extra 10 unecessary for me to add with analog? not sure if that made sense, but please help if you understand what I am saying
I just went back into my BD-55 and set the front and surround speakers to small and now my bass on my audio out is sounding much better. So if you have a powered sub out there, set those speakers to small.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #230

Dec 2008
Boston, MA

BTW, its my family room with all of my A/V components/TV in it.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #231

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman949 View Post
I just went back into my BD-55 and set the front and surround speakers to small and now my bass on my audio out is sounding much better. So if you have a powered sub out there, set those speakers to small.
Do you setup the speakers in the BD55 AND the receiver, or just one of them?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Audio processing associated with speaker setups happens in the digital domain, before the digital-analog conversion. So, with analog output, the player's settings are used. With digital, the receiver's settings are used.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #233

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Audio processing associated with speaker setups happens in the digital domain, before the digital-analog conversion. So, with analog output, the player's settings are used. With digital, the receiver's settings are used.
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #234

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I agree with BIslander. But I have set my speakers to small in the receiver for the digital sources too, such as Dolby DTS, etc. in regular DVDs. It is a good idea to set your speakers to small - especially when you have a nice powered subwoofer. So this way all the low notes transfer over to the bass. I have a Rell that is designed for this.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #235
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman949 View Post
I agree with BIslander. But I have set my speakers to small in the receiver for the digital sources too, such as Dolby DTS, etc. in regular DVDs. It is a good idea to set your speakers to small - especially when you have a nice powered subwoofer. So this way all the low notes transfer over to the bass. I have a Rell that is designed for this.
Yes. You will continue to have digital sources such as cable or satellite, other DVD players you may still be using, and even some digital playback from the BD player. All of those will use the receiver speaker settings. Since your speakers aren't chaning, the size and distance settings should be the same in both the player and receiver. (Depending on your speakers and the crossover flexibility in your receiver, you might have some differences in size settings. But, that would be true for only a tiny percentage of people.)
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #236

Dec 2008
Boston, MA

Ok, broke down and finally got the BD55. Incredible quality all around. I'm mostly impressed by the sound.

An odd thing is happening though. Whenever I select DVD on my receiver (from being on anything else), there's a 5-7 second delay and then I get "Incompatible Video" pop up on the TV display. Audio is coming out fine (which is bitstreamed as DTS-HD MA or Dobly True HD after I did my DSP F/W update). But there is no picture!

The solution I found is to toggle through the INPUTS on my TV. Then the picture from the BD55 comes back.

So I'm not sure if the Panasonic is hooked up properly, or if it's the receiver or the TV. I think I need help with the BD55 settings.

Components:

Onkyo TX-SR705 (HDMI to TV)
Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U
Panasonic DMP-BD55 (HDMI and Composite to Onkyo)
Comcast Motorola HD DVR (HDMI and Composite to Onkyo)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #237

Dec 2008

I have read through the posts but I still could use some clarification about the optimum connection for my system. I have the BD-55 and an older Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver that has (3) options for audio inputs: optical cable, coax cable and 5.1 analog inputs.

Of the (3) audio inputs available for my receiver, which one would provide the best sound reproduction for both BD and standard disks?

If I use the optical or coax inputs, does that mean that I wouldn't have to worry about adjusting the LBE 10db? Likewise, if I use the 5.1 analog inputs, would the LFE levels change every time I switch from TV (which is connected to the receiver with an optical cable) to DVD?

For older receivers like my Yamaha, should the "Digital Audio Out" be set to bit stream for any of the (3) audio inputs?

Several members have posted that there is not a discernable difference between the audio quality of analog and digital inputs, if this is the case, why even consider using analog connections?

Thank you for any help!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #238

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused1 View Post
I have read through the posts but I still could use some clarification about the optimum connection for my system. I have the BD-55 and an older Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver that has (3) options for audio inputs: optical cable, coax cable and 5.1 analog inputs.

Of the (3) audio inputs available for my receiver, which one would provide the best sound reproduction for both BD and standard disks?

If I use the optical or coax inputs, does that mean that I wouldn't have to worry about adjusting the LBE 10db? Likewise, if I use the 5.1 analog inputs, would the LFE levels change every time I switch from TV (which is connected to the receiver with an optical cable) to DVD?

For older receivers like my Yamaha, should the "Digital Audio Out" be set to bit stream for any of the (3) audio inputs?

Several members have posted that there is not a discernable difference between the audio quality of analog and digital inputs, if this is the case, why even consider using analog connections?

Thank you for any help!
Having just gone through this, and being in a similar situation, I can answer some of these for you.

My receiver does not decode the newest audio codecs, which is why I'm hooked up analog and let the BD-55 player do the decoding for now, which is my only reason for connecting this way.

I see some difference in the LFE levels when, for example, I switch to my Sat box for TV. I use the remote to adjust the sub level in the receiver to my taste for the program/source I'm watching. The Sat box is connect via Optical. Rather than constantly adjusting the +10 pad, I have a -20 to +10 level control on the receiver (in the levels menu). This is the same menu where I can adjust the levels of the centre, SL, and SR speakers. I'll make adjustments of up to +/- 5 depending on the program.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #239
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Dutchess County New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused1 View Post

Thank you for any help!
I have the Panasonic BD-10AK, but an older AVR like yourself, so I'm in the same position as you.

You will get the best sound by using the "analog-outs" on your BD player. This allows your BD player to deal with the audio sources and to give you the best possible sound.

I'm not sure if the BD-55 will "switch gears" and use the dig. co-ax and/or the TOSLink, if you're viewing an SD DVD in DD 5.1 (I've got a separate upconverting player that I use for my SD DVDs).

I hope that this was of some help to you.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #240

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkish View Post
I'm not sure if the BD-55 will "switch gears" and use the dig. co-ax and/or the TOSLink, if you're viewing an SD DVD in DD 5.1 (I've got a separate upconverting player that I use for my SD DVDs).
It will if you change to that input on your receiver...analog and digital outs on the BD55 operate independently.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders