Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
C$26.99

Jurassic Park Collection (Blu-ray)
C$25.99
17 hrs ago
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
C$30.00

Red Sparrow (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
10 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
C$69.99

The Night Of (Blu-ray)
C$9.99

The Big Lebowski (Blu-ray)
C$9.99
16 hrs ago
Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
C$69.99

Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Guardians of the Galaxy (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Death Wish (Blu-ray)
C$24.79

The Accountant (Blu-ray)
C$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #21

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
I'm amazed HMV lasted this long, with the two prong attack of streaming eating into physical media sales and online shopping eating into B&M sales. I guess when all the other retailers like A&B Sound, Music World, CD Plus etc went under they survived a bit as the last such store. Right now the 10% discount isn't really worth it as our GST / PST is 10% so I'll still end up paying the sticker price. I'm fine waiting to see what's left down the road.
10% off only...Target is having a $10 sale on recently released blus in the U.S., and this is what we get. No wonder why HMV went into receivership.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #22

Sep 2011

The 10% off isn't decided by HMV. Since they've gone into receivership, an outside firm is responsible for selling off their inventory and attempt to recoup as much money as possible. That's why they're starting off low and the rebate will slowly increase as we get closer to the end of April. The same thing happened with Zellers and Target.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPMA View Post
The 10% off isn't decided by HMV. Since they've gone into receivership, an outside firm is responsible for selling off their inventory and attempt to recoup as much money as possible.
It made not have been decided by Hmv but 10% off at closing stores while saying 'Up To 30%' is standard Hmv procedure that I have seen happen many times and have mentioned several times in the Hmv Deals thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
This was actually the subject of a discussion on one of the financial/business TV stations. They were saying that amazon.ca was posing a threat to all other sellers (including Canadian Tire, believe it or not) because amazon has such a simple and well-organized selling system. The speaker pointed out that buying things on most Canadian sites is like pulling teeth.
The Shop.ca site 'revised' it to something my web browsers could not order from. Cant say exactly why companies do such things but it is probably somewhere between a botched attempt to be eye candy and mobile device friendly.

I used to design website layouts for a living but almost every job was very low paying piece work so good designers are not going to do it. Most of the time the layout is done by programmers with no commercial art or consumer friendly training.

Anyway I was really writing about the online stock from Canadian companies being poor. For instance Best Buy Canada's online website has a limited selection of BDs while it's US site carries a huge number of BDs.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012

Sounds all too familiar, the HMV folks had same issues in the UK.

The outlook indeed seems grim for ya'll, imagine a Justin Bieber album signing at Walmart or Target...

... like a trip to one of these stores wasn't bad enough already.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway
Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I feel a tinge of sadness for the employees at my nearest HMV because I'm convinced their store was doing very well. It ALWAYS had a good number of customers and the employees were busy and actually helpful.

Unfortunately, of course, events are determined by chain-wide performance which was obviously not good.

Here's a bizarre thought. The LAST store in my local mega mall to sell music will now be the URBAN OUTFITTERS store...but they don't sell CDs; they sell only vinyl and cassettes! No, this is not 1977 .
Old 01-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I grew up in a smaller town and one of the highlights of coming to the city was getting to visit (and spend money at) HMV and A&B Sound. First it was A&B Sound going out of business and now many years later, HMV. Truly the end of an era.

We had many HMV locations here in Edmonton, and IMO, they really should have only focused on two of them (West Edmonton Mall and Kingsway Mall). The others were never very busy. However, I can imagine they were probably paying an insane amount of rent at the huge WEM location and it would be hard to turn a profit even considering how busy the store usually was. The loss of HMV will leave West Edmonton Mall with another huge vacancy (in addition to the old Target space) - there's also the HMV stage, although that didn't get used much in recent years.
My top 25 films:

1) Jackie Brown 2) Nashville 3)Apocalypse Now 4) Pulp Fiction 5) All About Eve 6) Blue Velvet 7) Zodiac 8) The Getaway (1972) 9) Almost Famous 10) Tenebre 11) Sorcerer 12) The Wolf of Wall Street 13) Mildred Pierce 14) The Towering Inferno 15) Talk to Her 16) Dressed to Kill 17) Rabid Dogs 18) City of God 19) The Dead Girl 20) Adaptation 21) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 22) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 23) Happiness 24) Spirited Away 25) Harold and Maude
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #27
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

Here's a bizarre thought. The LAST store in my local mega mall to sell music will now be the URBAN OUTFITTERS store...but they don't sell CDs; they sell only vinyl and cassettes! No, this is not 1977 .
Now if only one of the exisiting clothing chains could start selling Blu's....
My top 25 films:

1) Jackie Brown 2) Nashville 3)Apocalypse Now 4) Pulp Fiction 5) All About Eve 6) Blue Velvet 7) Zodiac 8) The Getaway (1972) 9) Almost Famous 10) Tenebre 11) Sorcerer 12) The Wolf of Wall Street 13) Mildred Pierce 14) The Towering Inferno 15) Talk to Her 16) Dressed to Kill 17) Rabid Dogs 18) City of God 19) The Dead Girl 20) Adaptation 21) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 22) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 23) Happiness 24) Spirited Away 25) Harold and Maude
Old 01-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
Now if only one of the exisiting clothing chains could start selling Blu's....
Hmv did try selling clothes.
Thanks given by:
Last Starfighter (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #29

Sep 2013
Burnaby, BC Canada
Canada Even less reasons to head to the mall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Hmv did try selling clothes.
yep, I probably bought 3 or 4 tshirts over the years, but only recently when Metropolis started carrying shirts. Also got a nice warm Spiderman robe as a Xmas gift.

Anyways, just to add to the comments here, I've been a regular (even more so after BestBuy's selection/presentation went into the shitter the last few years) at the store at Metropolis in Burnaby, BC. I believe it was the biggest store around since the main megastore closed years ago on Robson Street (now a Victoria Secret i believe). I'm not completely shocked but more sad about the announcement. My local store was decently busy, good location in the mall, just 3 mins walk from our movie theatres upstairs.

With a collection of Dvd/Bds 500 strong, i'd can probably say 1/4 of them were from HMV. Many of my "important" films were bought there just from browsing in person, i've picked up quite a few definitive "Anniversary Editions" like Silence of the Lambs, Do The Right Thing, Boyz In The Hood, The Thing, etc...So many times I actually found some cool obscure titles while browsing the shelves too, I can't believe I picked up Dark Angel there, only after getting home did i realize i had the semi-cult "I Come In Peace" I'm gonna really miss that feeling of leaving the mall with goodies in hand from a retail movie store now

My UV & iTunes digital copies available for trade

Entertainment Set-up:
Display - Panasonic 46" TH-C46FD18
BD Player - Panasonic DMP-BD75
Audio - Sony Home Theatre STR-KS2300
Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
I'm gonna really miss that feeling of leaving the mall with goodies in hand from a retail movie store now
I am going to miss grabbing the clearance BDs at my store. It got me hooked on Redemption titles.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #31

May 2010
New Hampshire

That's too bad....I looked forward to stopping at the Montreal HMV when visiting from the US. Always a few Canadian blus to pick up that didn't get a US release.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #32

Jun 2012
Toronto

Christ, this has had me depressed for days. And makes me and my collection feel useless.
The blackest eyes. The Devil's eyes.

My Thread

My DVDAficionado List

My Movies
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #33

Feb 2014

I have a bit of experience in retail liquidation and receivership so a few observations just based on the first couple of days...

It is highly unlikely that more than 2 to 3 stores will be open until April 30th and I doubt most of us who live outside of Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal will see any really good deals. If the court order was for 4 weeks, maybe... but not with 3 months till the bitter end.

There's significant cost to keeping all stores open for 90 days. Once a chain wide closure is ordered, chains usually like to start closing stores as soon as possible and moving stock into a few select locations.

Most stores will likely stay open for a few weeks as they are obligated to pay staff for this time and it gives them an opportunity while they have those wage obligations to still offset with some revenues, plus it gives them an opportunity to lighten inventory a bit and shave some costs off of shipping.

Once a chain-wide closure has been announced, it is very hard to keep employees from jumping ship. Most will already be in job search mode and will leave as soon as an offer comes up. The reality is you need a minimum number of employees around to operate a retail store just to make sure you are not in violation of labour laws, and most stores don't keep many more active staff than what is absolutely necessary even in good times. HMV will likely not wait until employee levels dip into the unmanageable to start closing most stores.

My guess is that consolidations will start late next week or the week after. Because of the nature of retail, most of the staff will probably fall within the window of requiring 2 - 3 weeks notice, meaning that they've now been given their notice and the company will want to utilize them for packing up and shipping for 2 - 3 days while they are still obligated to be paid.

Looking at the markdowns, I see that the only thing really marked down to 30% off at this point is the canvas artwork and home decor. This is all stuff that is large and delicate, two characteristics that you don't want for stuff that you have to pack and ship. This tells me that they want this stuff gone right away and that everything else is on the radar for shipping and consolidation.

CDs are currently 20% off which makes sense as CDs are easy to ship but don't have as big a profit margin as DVDs and blu-rays. This is telling me that they would like to lessen their inventory prior to shipping but aren't really interested in taking a loss at least while they are still paying to operate 100+ stores.

DVDs and blu-rays are currently at 10% off (which amounts to virtually no discount in many cases because it is not being applied to '2 for' promos which makes up probably more than half their inventory). DVDs and blu-rays have some shelf life and offer a strong wholesale liquidation option, so it's likely that the there may be an offer in to scoop up remaining inventory for resale. That might explain why only 10% off at this point

If the court order had been for 4 weeks / 1 month, it's more likely that most stores would have assumed a slash-and-burn pricing strategy because at that point, they are under huge pressure to sell everything and you can't afford to have inventory stuck in transit.

My advice to anyone outside of the major Canadian centres is that if you have an HMV and they have something in stock that has been on your "to-get" list, don't hold off waiting for a 75% off markdown. It's more likely that most stores might get to 25% or 30% or maybe oven 40% in the next week or two, but that one morning in the next 2 to 3 weeks, staff will just get word to not open their doors that morning and to focus on packing everything left into boxes to be sent to the superstores.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (01-30-2017), JoeDeM (02-01-2017), LPMA (01-31-2017), sharkattack3000 (01-30-2017), Taco_Yucky (01-30-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Somebody was waiting for a 75% markdown? 40% in the next week or two is highly unlikely, Sunrise Records, Blockbuster and Rogers Video waited a lot longer then that to go to 40%.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:31 AM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

As much as I hate to say this this is another nail in the coffin for physical media.
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! TCM OAR
Old 01-31-2017, 02:35 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
As much as I hate to say this this is another nail in the coffin for physical media.
The nail was already in the coffin, people are just slow to accept it.

https://arstechnica.com/business/201...sales-falling/
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 AM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
And yet new BD releases are still being churned out which is what I care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
The nail was already in the coffin, people are just slow to accept it.

https://arstechnica.com/business/201...sales-falling/
Sony has been losing money for many years.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #38

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
And yet new BD releases are still being churned out which is what I care about.
Yep. Same here.

Remember when music downloads were increasing in popularity at a very fast rate and people were saying that CDs would soon be a thing of the past? Yeah, well 15+ years later new CD releases are still being made and people (like myself) still buy them.

I'm very confident that blu-ray (and DVD) will still be sticking around for a very long time.
Live every day like it's the best day of your life.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #39
Power Member

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

The Barrie store was never that great to begin with, but it was better than nothing, and they did carry Scream/Shout, Kino, and Arrow, at better prices than Amazon. I'm sad to see them go. There's a small independent that also carries Scream/Shout, Kino, Olive and Arrow but at much higher prices.

I guess I'll stop by tonight and have a look.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #40

Aug 2016

I went in on the weekend and purchased Scream Factory The Thing and Army of Darkness. Where am I going to get "Scream Factory” titles now? Online I guess. The days of my wife cloth shopping while I hang out at HMV will soon be over. I guess I should be new jeans though. HMV will be missed…….
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada