COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Giver (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
That's the Way of the World (Blu-ray)
$16.07
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #61
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevalone View Post
Same with me..

I like the movie but 22.99 is too high for this movie ..
To be honest, $22.99 is too high for ANY one disc.
Remember in 1995, a CD cost between $16.99 - $18.99!! That was absurd, and considered price-gauging, since the industry knew the sticker price in 1995 should have been $10.99.

Yet that's the price of a CD today... but guess why? Because CDs are a dead format.

My point: blu-ray discs are no different. Knowing what it costs to manufacture and market 500,000 single-disc copies of the average Hollywood title on blu, they should hit store shelves at a maximum price of $16.99 on release day. Not a dime more.

But humans see it on shelves for $22.99, AND PAY IT! So they'll keep the padded price tag until the format starts dying... like CD and DVD
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #62
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

From the blu-ray.com review:

[Show spoiler]I suspect Side Effects will continue to grow on me (as it already did my second time through), although I doubt I'll ever stop wondering what sort of thriller it might have been had Soderbergh stuck with the more relevant Big Pharmaceutical, corporate-culture commentary that dominates his first act.

That seems rather strange to me.
[Show spoiler]Why would someone have to wonder about that? We've seen it in a hundred other Hollywood films. One of the major reasons I like this film so much is that it doesn't go there. It's a complete departure from what you have come to expect from Hollywood.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #63
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Fantastic movie - Soderbergh's best in such a long time. It's one of my favorite films of 2013 so far.
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Side Effects
  • Safe Haven
  • Gangster Squad
  • Mama
I'm still interested in seeing Before Midnight, Dead Man Down, Frances Ha, The Great Gatsby, The Iceman, Like Someone In Love, Lore, Mud, The Place Beyond The Pines, The Silence (2010 film showing this year), Stoker, To The Wonder, Upside Down, and Upstream Color (I own the Blu-ray).

Last edited by iScottie; 05-22-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
From the blu-ray.com review:

[Show spoiler]I suspect Side Effects will continue to grow on me (as it already did my second time through), although I doubt I'll ever stop wondering what sort of thriller it might have been had Soderbergh stuck with the more relevant Big Pharmaceutical, corporate-culture commentary that dominates his first act.

That seems rather strange to me.
[Show spoiler]Why would someone have to wonder about that? We've seen it in a hundred other Hollywood films. One of the major reasons I like this film so much is that it doesn't go there. It's a complete departure from what you have come to expect from Hollywood.
True. Great points.

[Show spoiler]Good mystery movie wrapped in a Big Pharma package.

And Catherine Zeta, for the first time, is looking old =(
Gone is the Zeta from Zorro.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #65
Suspended

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
True. Great points.

[Show spoiler]Good mystery movie wrapped in a Big Pharma package.

And Catherine Zeta, for the first time, is looking old =(
Gone is the Zeta from Zorro.
Oh noes! Women age!!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Oh noes! Women age!!
I just mean, this is the first time I noticed. In other words, there was no gradual aging of her, to me. So it struck me as rather, "Oh! I forgot, CZJ is older now"
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #67

Feb 2013

Glad I picked up a UV of this from someone.

Really good thriller, good twists and everything in-between.

The buried college guy mentality in me was a bit disappointed though. For some reason, no matter how many times I saw the trailer of this when it was coming out, I kept thinking it was about a new drug given to Mara that caused her to have psychotic sexual urges. I was expecting lot'sa sex sex sex and nude Rooney ala Dragon Tattoo. Not so much.

That thought stuck with me all the way til I got into the movie and realized I was mistaken, then I had to use my brain haha.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp42877 View Post
Glad I picked up a UV of this from someone.

Really good thriller, good twists and everything in-between.

The buried college guy mentality in me was a bit disappointed though. For some reason, no matter how many times I saw the trailer of this when it was coming out, I kept thinking it was about a new drug given to Mara that caused her to have psychotic sexual urges. I was expecting lot'sa sex sex sex and nude Rooney ala Dragon Tattoo. Not so much.

That thought stuck with me all the way til I got into the movie and realized I was mistaken, then I had to use my brain haha.
I kinda wish Emily (Rooney)
[Show spoiler]planned the entire thing herself and played both Dr Sierbert (Zeta Jones) and Dr Banks (J.Law).
My wife and I found the Emily & Sierbert lesbian
subplot kinda the weakest part.

-

Last edited by eiknarf; 05-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #69
Power Member

Sep 2009

Rented this and watched it earlier, I was really impressed all around. Great performances, scoring, writing, and excellent pacing. Definitely worth a look! It might take me a while but I will pick it up down the line.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Fantastic movie - Soderbergh's best in such a long time. It's one of my favorite films of 2013 so far.
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Side Effects
  • Safe Haven
  • Gangster Squad
  • Mama
I agree! Contagion was great, but this was much better!

Luckily I was able to get it for $4.00 after LoP coupon and price match. Some guy that was paying before me price matched it at $12.00, and when I was rung up, I asked if I could do the same. So basically $2 less than what I paid for the ticket to see it. It honestly was really great.
"Man of my dreams... this man of mine may kill me. This man may TRULY kill me." - Amy Elliott Dunne (Gone Girl)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #71
Banned

Apr 2013
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Side Effects
  • Safe Haven
  • Gangster Squad
  • Mama
I'm still interested in seeing Before Midnight, Dead Man Down, Frances Ha, The Great Gatsby, The Iceman, Like Someone In Love, Lore, Mud, The Place Beyond The Pines, The Silence (2010 film showing this year), Stoker, To The Wonder, Upside Down, and Upstream Color (I own the Blu-ray).
Zero Dark Thirty is a 2012 film though, so it doesn't count.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #72
Special Member

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Redboxed this earlier and was blown away. I expected an intriguing drama but got a terrific psycho thriller fused with great character exploration and a dashof politics. It really is a solid film from beginning to end and proves once again that Channing Tatum can actually act when he's given the right role and amount of screen time. This is definitely upper tier Soderbergh that I'd rank with Traffic and The Girlfriend Experience. Will definitely be purchasing in the future.
Equipment:
RCA 39" LED 39B45RQ 1080P
PS3 80 GB
SONY 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM STR-K660P
DIGIX BLU-RAY PLAYER BD-500
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #73

Mar 2011
The Future

Just watched this and thought it was great. I remember listening to the review on the /Filmcast and they mentioned that the less you know about this movie, the better. I stayed away from trailers and reviews (aside from /Filmcast) and went in fresh. Seems to be the best one to view it, because you really have now idea where it is going. And that is a good thing.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

In Contagion, Jude Law talks about "side effects". Then he's in the movie, Side Effects! That's insane!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #75
Special Member

Sep 2011
Illinois

Does anyone have an extra UV code of this that someone wouldn't mind passing with? I don't care if it is SD or not. Thanks! *Will send positive feedback*
"Funny how sometimes you just find things" - How I Met Your Mother [2005 - 2014]

Favorites Of 2013: The Great Gatsby, The Wolf Of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, Philomena, Disney's Frozen, Prisoners, Her, and Gravity.
Honorable Mention: Jurassic Park 3D
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #76
Special Member

Feb 2012
Canada

Quote:
In Contagion, Jude Law talks about "side effects". Then he's in the movie, Side Effects! That's insane!!!
Good god, I hope this is some kind of joke.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #77
Suspended

Jul 2010

Quote:
I laughed at this for longer than I should have.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #78
Special Member

Dec 2010

Quote:

I watched movie yesterday it was really good, right up my ally! I'm going to order it now, what are the chances that it will come with a slip from Amazon.com?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #79
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post

I watched movie yesterday it was really good, right up my ally! I'm going to order it now, what are the chances that it will come with a slip from Amazon.com?
What are the chances it comes with a sample of Ablixa (it was just candy in the form of tablets?
Only the first 10,000 blu-ray discs sold did.
Just like only the first 10,000 units of Contagion came with a Forsythia powder (it was like a packet of iced tea mix).

Good tie-ins, though

Last edited by eiknarf; 09-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America