Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.44
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #41
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

it loaded fine thursday night, I am going to try a few times this weekend since BBY's return policy is 15 days and that day is this Monday for me.

or I could just have a player that glitches from time to time for no apparent reason
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #42
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berting View Post
I have never noticed longer load times with Universal, so I played a couple tonight without problem. (The 1500 always loaded a little slow.) I suspect a disc issue.
You said ET took awhile to load for you too, thats a Universal title. I am not saying like they take forever but the length is noticably longer than some other titles and the model does have slower load speeds I have noticed then other makes and models.

Edit: Upon a second consecutive try in as many nights, Savages loaded just fine. Making me think it was just my player being glitchy.

Last edited by beware; 07-28-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #43

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beware View Post
You said ET took awhile to load for you too, thats a Universal title. I am not saying like they take forever but the length is noticably longer than some other titles and the model does have slower load speeds I have noticed then other makes and models.

Edit: Upon a second consecutive try in as many nights, Savages loaded just fine. Making me think it was just my player being glitchy.
That is true, ET does take longer to load than most discs, and it is Universal. I took it to my brother who has an LG, and it loaded slower than 42, which is WB, and slower than The Paperboy which is Universal.
Interestingly enough 42 (WB) and The Paperboy (Univ) load about the same speed on the 1500, and they are recent releases.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

have one, but it will no longer play cds or dvds, just blu's
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #45
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

played good for a 3rd straight time, so I am good.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #46

Feb 2009

Quote:
played good for a 3rd straight time, so I am good.
Excellent.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

I popped in a new movie (never watched before) tonight and the disc played fine but my player froze trying to rewind twice during it and had to restart it. (Took like 30 seconds to respond to the off command) Anyone know what might have caused that? I assume its like a computer and glitches happen as it has a hard drive, etc. Itís happened in the past but it was a long drought in-between incidents.

Not too worried as it didnít happen until I tried to make the player do something, disc is spotless and brand new, I know its not the disc. And I doubt this happens for another long time coming, I was just wondering if it has happened to anyone else and if they have any idea why?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #48

Feb 2009

It has been a long time since I tried to rewind a disc, and I don't really remember freezing or having to reboot during or after. However doesn't sound werious, afterall playing the movie is the most important.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #49
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

Are you still rocking this model? I tend to only post in here when I have issues but tonight freaked me out. I had it freeze on a film because I hit the rewind and play button to quickly after each other so I reloaded and all was fine.

Tried to then put another movie in (Pacific Rim) from Black Friday and it loaded fine but then the loading icon would flicker really fast on and off the screen, heard a pop, some static and then it loaded after the dreaded "ants" and it was heavily pixelated.

I have a strong feeling its the player and not the film but I am not risking it. I even tested on another film and all was good and it even loaded fine on PR after a 2nd try. I am exchanging the movie from amazon and hopefully all is fine. Like I said, I will not completely freak out until it happens again and I know in the past you said it could be something faulty with the disc. So I will try a replacement, if all is good...good...if it does it again or does it for anything else in the next coming movie sessions, I think its time to replace the player.

Like I said, I never had this type of thing happen, it even made the player's icons pixelated. I know its probably the player but I can't shake the feeling that its only ever happened once and on 1 film and an immediate reload of the same film and a 2nd one was flawless. I didn't even try on by 1600 in my bedroom because if it glitches this bad on a 1st viewing attempt of the disc, I am not risking it even if I got it for 6 bucks. I am returning it without the slip though just in case the replacement doesn't have it lol.

Not like you care but will update post accordingly.

Last edited by beware; 01-29-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #50

Feb 2009

I actually still use my 1500, and it still works just fine , though I have noticed with very recent releases, it is slow to load. I have had a similar problem to what you describe, a year ago, solved by replacing the disc. I also had a couple of discs with no sound, where the replacement disc was fine, so I would start by replacing the disc. Another thing that I have done is cleaned the laser, with a cleaning disc, there are a few specifically for Blu-ray players. After 4 years the laser must be dirty, though how significant I don't know.
By the way, I would be very interested in a follow up to your problem.

Last edited by Berting; 01-29-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #51
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

I got my replacement movie from amazon today (slight paint dot embossed on the disc; I am slight ocd), will watch it next day off which is Tuesday () and let you know.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #52

Dec 2010

I'm also still using mine as a secondary unit. For a player that never got any firmware updates in 5 years it still works remarkably well. Of course it's rather slow to load, in particular compared to my Oppo. The occasional freeze or skip doesn't seem to be uncommon with the 1500, but all in all it doesn't occur that often.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #53
Power Member

Sep 2009
Virginia

Mine still works fine with no issues and I'm still on firmware version 2.4, lol. I will admit, I haven't played it a lot recently since I use my PS3 for most because of it's 3D capability. I was wondering if I should take the risk and update the firmware. I remember people had issues with firmware for a while...I didn't realize they made it up to 3.1.
Sony 55" EX720/ WEGA 51"
Pioneer Elite VSX-43/ Yamaha RX-V565 Receiver
Sony Slim PS3/ Samsung BD-P1500/ Sony BDP-S360
Sony 400 BD/DVD, 400 DVD/CD & 200 CD players
DirecTV HD-DVR/ Slingbox HD-Pro
Harmony 880 Remote
Polk RM95 speaker set (+2) w/ PSW111 sub for 7.1
Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #54

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
I was wondering if I should take the risk and update the firmware. I remember people had issues with firmware for a while...I didn't realize they made it up to 3.1.
I wouldn't update the FW unless you absolutely have to. Some firmware revisions introduced more problems than they addressed.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #55
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

I haven't gotten to watching the replacement copy berting, real life got in the way should in about a week or so
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #56

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I wouldn't update the FW unless you absolutely have to. Some firmware revisions introduced more problems than they addressed.
I actually updated my firmware to 3.1 in Dec 2011 and it has been better than when it was new.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #57
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

Replacement copy played glitch free
Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #58

Feb 2009

Quote:
Replacement copy played glitch free
Great news.
BTW, I had an interesting experience the other day, I started to watch Blue Jasmine, no sound! Rebooted the player, sound. Went to finish watching the movie later, no sound, so I returned it and the replacement disc is fine, sound.
I am sure there are more defective BD's out there than we realize, because most of the player problems I have had, are solved by replacing the disc.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #59
Special Member

Dec 2010
St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berting View Post
Great news.
BTW, I had an interesting experience the other day, I started to watch Blue Jasmine, no sound! Rebooted the player, sound. Went to finish watching the movie later, no sound, so I returned it and the replacement disc is fine, sound.
I am sure there are more defective BD's out there than we realize, because most of the player problems I have had, are solved by replacing the disc.
same here, there has got to be more defective discs than anything.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders