Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$63.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Green Room (Blu-ray)
$18.32
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Gods of Egypt 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Return of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-25-2015, 02:19 AM   #2161
Special Member

Jul 2015

That's a bit of a stretch in your observation, we only see one uber capitalist, ala Dr. Tyrell in the movie. We never see the offworld. We only see a handful of cops, and one is Gaff, which is a minority in a Blade Runner unit. So not sure the glove fits? The UAE could have colonized the offworld for all I know, and it's full of rich arab kids in fancy cars.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:27 AM   #2162
Expert Member

Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubious View Post
Yeah, I get that. But you have a business bio-engineering synthetics, for profit. Like Rachel says, "She IS the business." Is it unethical to produce sentient lifeforms for forced labor? Sure. But is it racist? You would have to qualify the sentient being on equal terms with being a person first. If they had engineered a dolphin brain into a human body, and taught it to speak, would it still be racist to call it a skinjob? The lower classes have the same reason to view these replacement workers with disdain, not for being what they are, but for taking away jobs that could probably be accomplished by humans. It's more an analog to the foreign worker visa debate today.
It's a way to dehumanize people calling them names like skinjob, if you notice replicants are perfectly sentient life forms but are confined only to be slave labor, they are kept immature with a genetically hardwired expiry date to insure they won't be ever considered real people, they are not even killed but "retired", they are sentient beings but are reduced to a mere commodity that once in a while glitches out and needs to be taken away from the market, the racism is not in their creation per se but in their enforced role in the future society Blade Runner depicts, the analogy isn't to racism as a whole but to that variety typical of US slavery.
Paradoxically Tyrell is one of the few beside Deckard who views replicants differently albeit more as a scientific experiment he is particularly affecionate rather than real people, he's probably more interested in creating new life and turning a profit by selling them as slaves is only a means to be free from financial concerns while going on with his research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
If Scott meant the "androids" or "replicants", then it minimizes the racism/classism message that Scott expresses in the film. What people are meant to notice is that the white people are on top (they own the businesses, run the companies, run the gov't, and run the police), and they work and live in the higher places on earth, thus away from the 'riffraff' on the surface (their offices and homes are way atop tall buildings). Remember how Bryant said that if you aren't cop you are "little people," referring to the racial others on the surface (mainly hispanic, Asian, and middle eastern).
I don't think that the racial part is intentional, it was more meant as a classist critique, not unlike Metropolis which had the same dichotomy.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #2163
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

I watched The Final Cut and the theatrical cut this past week. I actually think the encoding is better on the theatrical cut and I give the overall PQ more credit that I did in the past compared to The Final Cut where some encoding issues especially in the beginning tended to stand out to me a bit more. The film grain is generally nicely rendered on the theatrical and some of the patterns in scenes give it a nice film-like look at times. I'm also not a huge fan of the color and contrast changes to the The Final Cut. I can see where Ridley tried to give the film a more striking look - and it works as some scenes look very impressive - but all in all, I think I prefer the original look better but I'm okay with The Final Cut look still. The 5.1 DD track is not bad either. The TrueHD track is very impressive. On any rate, I'll be watching both versions again in the future. Usually when I re-visit this film every year to year-and-a-half, I watch two of the versions the same week with The Final Cut being one of them.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub

Last edited by HeavyHitter; 11-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #2164
Special Member

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
It's a way to dehumanize people calling them names like skinjob, if you notice replicants are perfectly sentient life forms but are confined only to be slave labor, they are kept immature with a genetically hardwired expiry date to insure they won't be ever considered real people, they are not even killed but "retired", they are sentient beings but are reduced to a mere commodity that once in a while glitches out and needs to be taken away from the market, the racism is not in their creation per se but in their enforced role in the future society Blade Runner depicts, the analogy isn't to racism as a whole but to that variety typical of US slavery.
Those are the type of questions that Philip K. Dick would have emphasized in his works, what makes us human, what makes a machine human, where is the line?

It's like asking if a mentally-handicapped, or autistic individual, is any less human than a synthetic humanoid engineered to mimic our "neurotypical" behavior and cognition abilities.

It's less of an analogy to race or wealth, and more of a philosophical debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I watched The Final Cut and the theatrical cut this past week. I actually think the encoding is better on the theatrical cut and I give the overall PQ more credit that I did in the past compared to The Final Cut where some encoding issues especially in the beginning tended to stand out to me a bit more. The film grain is generally nicely rendered on the theatrical and some of the patterns in scenes give it a nice film-like look at times. I'm also not a huge fan of the color and contrast changes to the The Final Cut.
The grain difference is The Final Cut is a from a 4K master, so the grain is finer and less noticeable, but not absent. Also, the adjusted color timing probably masks some it. The other cuts were sourced from 2K scans, but I do prefer the color timing on them.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #2165
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

HH is referring to the lack there of in terms of grain and the compression artifacts in The Final Cut, the reason is down to the poor encode of which cannot represent the fine/dense grain structure of the 4K scan.

It needs a new encode, one that is done properly.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #2166
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubious View Post
Those are the type of questions that Philip K. Dick would have emphasized in his works, what makes us human, what makes a machine human, where is the line?

It's like asking if a mentally-handicapped, or autistic individual, is any less human than a synthetic humanoid engineered to mimic our "neurotypical" behavior and cognition abilities.

It's less of an analogy to race or wealth, and more of a philosophical debate.

The grain difference is The Final Cut is a from a 4K master, so the grain is finer and less noticeable, but not absent. Also, the adjusted color timing probably masks some it. The other cuts were sourced from 2K scans, but I do prefer the color timing on them.
I can see that to a degree, but it's well established there was some DNR used on The Final Cut...but the encoding artifacts are evident. I don't see those as an issue as much for the other versions.
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 11-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #2167
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
HH is referring to the lack there of in terms of grain and the compression artifacts in The Final Cut, the reason is down to the poor encode of which cannot represent the fine/dense grain structure of the 4K scan.

It needs a new encode, one that is done properly.
Agreed - given Warner has re-encoded some titles without remasters, I'm hoping this will be done at some point. (The digibook would have been a good opportunity.)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 11-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #2168
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Ottawa,Canada
Send a message via MSN to TheZoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Agreed - given Warner has re-encoded some titles without remasters, I'm hoping this will be done at some point. (The digibook would have been a good opportunity.)
Interesting. I don't see the issues you point out and always thought BR was reference quality. It is one of my go to movies to show why bluray is better than dvd.

What a difference 8 years make.
The Zoof

Living Room - Pioneer KRP-500M | Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Panasonic DMP-BD89| PS4 | Wii U
Speakers
- PSB Image B25 Monitor | PSB Alpha B1 Monitor | PAradigm C100 | Klipsch SW-115

Fav Blu Right Now - Interstellar
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #2169
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

It still looks pretty damn good, people exaggerate. Standards have changed though and it could look better, yes.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #2170
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
Interesting. I don't see the issues you point out and always thought BR was reference quality. It is one of my go to movies to show why bluray is better than dvd.

What a difference 8 years make.
I think it looks good for sure; I'll even say very good, but it's also a nearly 10 year transfer and encode. Watching this at 124" from 10.5 feet back can also put some discs to a real test. But scanning and especially encoding has improved believe it or not.
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #2171
Power Member

Apr 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Send a message via MSN to BHolst

Happy Birthday, Roy!

2016: Track the Blu's you watch

This is the reason I pre-order an item as soon as possible...
Thanks given by:
Arawn (02-08-2016), eiknarf (01-08-2016), HeavyHitter (01-08-2016), Illy Scorsese (01-11-2016), JimDiGriz (01-08-2016), MisterFantastic (01-08-2016), nadsat (01-08-2016), StingingVelvet (01-08-2016), Tech-UK (01-08-2016), The Debts (01-09-2016), UltraMario9 (02-05-2016), waxHead (01-08-2016), welcometothepartypal (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #2172
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolst View Post
Happy Birthday, Roy!

Classic!

Hands up those who feel old right now...
Come on, we gotta make a robot or something! Do something! Youíre Mr. Science! Make something!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #2173
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

I'm seeing The Final Cut on the big screen for the first time this Sunday!

...I hope the print is as beautiful as it has been in my dreams.

Last edited by Ray Jackson; 01-09-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #2174
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Hands up those who feel old right now...
If you felt old when we went passed Back to the Future's future timeline and Roy Batty's birthday, imagine how you'll feel when you hit the future timeline in H.G. Well's Time Machine - 802,701 A.D. ...
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Thanks given by:
KMFDMvsEnya (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #2175
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I'm seeing The Final Cut on the big screen for the first time this Sunday!

...I hope the print is as beautiful as it has been in my dream.
Digital DCP or 35mm?
"Ago long long...long...far..away star." - Opips3
Old 01-09-2016, 02:15 AM   #2176
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
Digital DCP or 35mm?
I actually have no idea.

...the theater website does not specify.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #2177
Power Member

Apr 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Send a message via MSN to BHolst

Stumbled over this one on FB and thought it belonged here

Animated GIF artwork by Javi de Castro.
2016: Track the Blu's you watch

This is the reason I pre-order an item as soon as possible...
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #2178

Mar 2008

I also think Blade Runner TFC meeds a new encode. The current version was done when Warner Bros. was releasing both BDs and HD-DVDs and only did one lower bit encode using Microsoft VC1 to use on both BD and HD-DVD discs. A new H264 encode on a BD50 sure will render better picture quality.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #2179
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanhalen View Post
I also think Blade Runner TFC meeds a new encode. The current version was done when Warner Bros. was releasing both BDs and HD-DVDs and only did one lower bit encode using Microsoft VC1 to use on both BD and HD-DVD discs. A new H264 encode on a BD50 sure will render better picture quality.
Of course it would benefit from a modern encode, but I don't see Warner in a rush to do that. It would be way too minor a thing to promote. If UHD survives hopefully we see Blade Runner released for it.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #2180

Apr 2015

The title of this thread isn't quite so accurate anymore.
Oh, uh...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America