Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Split (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Default REALLY in a quandry about buying a TV...

Guys I'm really struggling with making a decision on getting a new TV. I see both advantages and disadvantages to LED and pasmas. I've read up on just about every model there is but I just can't decide!!

I understand all the advantages that plasmas have like black levels, video processing, off angle viewing, etc. But to me, after spending countless hours in the stores comparing the two, LED has a more dynamic picture thats more...visually arresting I guess you could say. Its a brighter, sharper, higher detailed image to my eyes, Plus I game...a LOT and I would certainly be concerned about IR/Burn in with a plasma. I'm still not ruling out plasma but I honestly dont see what the fuss is. And that is even after watching a 55" VT50 set on THX Cinema in a dark room (did that today) and according to the experts this is the cream of the crop of plasma right now!

They had a Samsung 65" UN65E8000 on display that I really liked. I thought it looked gorgeous but maybe I'm blind because the so called "experts" say its not that good. Has anyone here had any experience with this set and if so, what are your impressions?
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Guys I'm really struggling with making a decision on getting a new TV. I see both advantages and disadvantages to LED and pasmas. I've read up on just about every model there is but I just can't decide!!

I understand all the advantages that plasmas have like black levels, video processing, off angle viewing, etc. But to me, after spending countless hours in the stores comparing the two, LED has a more dynamic picture thats more...visually arresting I guess you could say. Its a brighter, sharper, higher detailed image to my eyes, Plus I game...a LOT and I would certainly be concerned about IR/Burn in with a plasma. I'm still not ruling out plasma but I honestly dont see what the fuss is. And that is even after watching a 55" VT50 set on THX Cinema in a dark room (did that today) and according to the experts this is the cream of the crop of plasma right now!

They had a Samsung 65" UN65E8000 on display that I really liked. I thought it looked gorgeous but maybe I'm blind because the so called "experts" say its not that good. Has anyone here had any experience with this set and if so, what are your impressions?
You're going to hear a lot - including the astonishing fact that Panasonic is closing down their plasma manufacturing plant. Take heed.

The new wave is OLED. It will still be expensive for a while; but test your patience. Even if you don't get one, LED technology is going to go down in price.

Sony has a big edge in dependability over Samsung, as beautiful as Samsung can be. Check your need for reliability.

The big thing is, take your time. Don't listen to salespeople; look at the set, the price, and the warranty. You'll know when it's time, and waiting a couple of months may be a good idea. Prices will be set for another drop in spring and summer.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
You're going to hear a lot - including the astonishing fact that Panasonic is closing down their plasma manufacturing plant. Take heed.

The new wave is OLED. It will still be expensive for a while; but test your patience. Even if you don't get one, LED technology is going to go down in price.

Sony has a big edge in dependability over Samsung, as beautiful as Samsung can be. Check your need for reliability.

The big thing is, take your time. Don't listen to salespeople; look at the set, the price, and the warranty. You'll know when it's time, and waiting a couple of months may be a good idea. Prices will be set for another drop in spring and summer.
1. Panny only close ONE plasma plant, they have several other plants that are still going to make plasma....

2. OLED IS the future, but I wouldn't expect to see affordable sets for 5+ years (so the near future it's pretty much moot)

3. and Sony only has a 1% lower failure rate than Samsung...
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
1. Panny only close ONE plasma plant, they have several other plants that are still going to make plasma....
I didn't read tea leaves, here. Entire plants aren't closed when products manufactured there are thriving. School is out for plasma and rear projection, with the former having a limited lifespan, and the latter already in dodo status. I own a Pioneer Kuro, and a Sony 70" XBR; I'm not biased. But the handwriting is on the wall.

Quote:
2. OLED IS the future, but I wouldn't expect to see affordable sets for 5+ years (so the near future it's pretty much moot)
Five years is going to turn into one year, very quickly. Plants close when valued investment can go into new technologies. Expect to see many 50" to 65" sets by this Christmas, and reasonable prices next spring. These are gems, found rarely in some cave deep under the sea; they're televisions sets, and whoever makes them in volume, before the competition, will do these things:
  • Steal profitable sales from everyone else with commodity items;
  • Build brand recognition ahead of other manufacturers, even if they make OLED sets later;
  • Begin making the competition lower prices to move product, impeding their own manufacturer changes.
I am betting that Samsung, always riding the wave behind Sony, is itching to do this. Watch closely, there will be a real firefight by the end of the year and next spring.

Quote:
3. and Sony only has a 1% lower failure rate than Samsung...
Things must have improved. When I bought my Sony, they were under 1%, and Samsung, almost 3%. I'm not saying Samsung makes a bad television - they don't - but while I might gamble on which restaurant to go to, I don't gamble with big money.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I didn't read tea leaves, here. Entire plants aren't closed when products manufactured there are thriving. School is out for plasma and rear projection, with the former having a limited lifespan, and the latter already in dodo status. I own a Pioneer Kuro, and a Sony 70" XBR; I'm not biased. But the handwriting is on the wall.

Five years is going to turn into one year, very quickly. Plants close when valued investment can go into new technologies. Expect to see many 50" to 65" sets by this Christmas, and reasonable prices next spring. These are gems, found rarely in some cave deep under the sea; they're televisions sets, and whoever makes them in volume, before the competition, will do these things:
  • Steal profitable sales from everyone else with commodity items;
  • Build brand recognition ahead of other manufacturers, even if they make OLED sets later;
  • Begin making the competition lower prices to move product, impeding their own manufacturer changes.
I am betting that Samsung, always riding the wave behind Sony, is itching to do this. Watch closely, there will be a real firefight by the end of the year and next spring.

Things must have improved. When I bought my Sony, they were under 1%, and Samsung, almost 3%. I'm not saying Samsung makes a bad television - they don't - but while I might gamble on which restaurant to go to, I don't gamble with big money.
oh , I agree, but I still think Plasma has 2-3 years left on the shelves... and it's NOT a bad investment

as for OLED's... we'll see. I just personally don't expect to see 50 inchers in the $1500 and under price range for YEARS

as for failure rates. right now sony is at 5% failure rate and Samsung is 6%.... I agree, back in the day sony was THE name for quality electronics, now they're only about AS good as the Korean mfg's and sometimes worse quality (picture wise)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
oh , I agree, but I still think Plasma has 2-3 years left on the shelves... and it's NOT a bad investment

as for OLED's... we'll see. I just personally don't expect to see 50 inchers in the $1500 and under price range for YEARS

as for failure rates. right now sony is at 5% failure rate and Samsung is 6%.... I agree, back in the day sony was THE name for quality electronics, now they're only about AS good as the Korean mfg's and sometimes worse quality (picture wise)
Once a manufacturer starts closing plants, they're looking to save money. When that happens, quality control is shot straight to Hell, with everyone doing more for less.

No, it's not a bad investment. I will not say it's a good investment. Panasonic's "rising blacks" have never sat well with me, and I don't know if they're really over it yet. I'd rather wait and get a prime LED or OLED, if it's all the same.

I don't know where you're getting your statistics, but a manufacturer of high end electronics with a 5-6% failure rate is not going to be in business for another week. No one can handle that kind of return/repair rate - not the manufacturer, the shipper, the dealer, nobody.

I don't care if they're throwing in free 3D glasses, a bottle of spray cleaner, and a lap dance. It just doesn't happen.

Check those numbers, I think you read it wrong...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post

do NOT compare between sets at a store. Plasma is at a disadvantage on display models. LCD/LED is garishly bright and pumped on vivid at a store. A plasma thrives in a light controlled room where it doesn't need 5 billion lumens of light to make itself look impressive. if you literally do TONs of gaming that an LCD might do you better. Just expect to pay almost 2wice as much as a plasma for an LCD of the same quality of picture or accept that you'll take a hit on the picture for your price point. I have an LED myself as a dedicated gaming display since my wife can do 12 hour binges on rpgs. I game all the time on my Panny plasma with no ir problems
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

You cannot evaluate TVs in a typical electronics store. They're all in store blast mode and have the brightness and contrast turned way up. Psychologically, when you see a set in that mode and a properly calibrated set at the same time, you'll choose the set with the inferior picture just because it's brighter.

Do yourself a favor a find a showroom where they calibrate the TVs properly, then compare. Generally, a plasma set will have less dynamic range, but it will have more accurate color and look more like "film". I was sure I was going to buy plasma, but in the end I went LCD when I saw what a calibrated LCD could look like.

But to this day, the best TV picture I've ever seen on a consumer set was the old Pioneer Kuro, which are no longer being made. (And those were plasmas).

If you watch a lot of movies, consider plasma. If you watch more TV and especially sports, you'll probably want LCD.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs