Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Split (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2009
Default Rare Blu-rays?

I know there are some rare blu-rays out there, like The Third Man or the Battle Royale set, but I was wondering if there was a title out there that is considered the rarest blu?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Most of my steelbooks are rare
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbart View Post
I know there are some rare blu-rays out there, like The Third Man or the Battle Royale set, but I was wondering if there was a title out there that is considered the rarest blu?
That would be hard to judge... "Rarity" vs. "Cost" because I'm sure there are plenty of Blu-rays that didn't get a lot of copies made, but nobody wants them, so they're cheap (Thinking about obscure special-interest sort of stuff)

I saw someone selling the Animated Transformers movie for quite a bit... apparently the Region-A friendly version is rare... I know I wouldn't mind having it, but I'm a $15 fan.... not a $100 fan
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #4

Mar 2008

Mostly OOP stuff; I have a few steelbooks I value highly, and OOP criterions because those are best possible versions of great movies.

On occasion you'll see OOP items because of a defect or remaster; like the Full Metal Jacket original release. It was a bad transfer and people dumped those like banana peels, but I've seen some floating around for over 20 bucks now.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
That would be hard to judge... "Rarity" vs. "Cost" because I'm sure there are plenty of Blu-rays that didn't get a lot of copies made, but nobody wants them, so they're cheap (Thinking about obscure special-interest sort of stuff)

I saw someone selling the Animated Transformers movie for quite a bit... apparently the Region-A friendly version is rare... I know I wouldn't mind having it, but I'm a $15 fan.... not a $100 fan
Very true, I know that some of those steelbooks fetch astonishing upsale prices. And I think the prices that The Third Man is fetching are an exaggeration of how many are actually out there.

So I looking for simply rarity or actual films, not like HD moods or other blu-ray filler stuff that has been produced.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
I have this, and I had no idea it was rare. I remember getting it for very cheap from Amazon.co.uk! Perhaps I should consider selling.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

The ones that I have that are rare are rare because they're OOP (Third Man, Pierrot Le Fou, Hot Rod).
EDIT: Also, maybe a few imports are rare (HK Ip-Man, Polish Pulp Fiction, Canadian Diving Bell).

Last edited by wilky61; 03-25-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Besides real limited editions I would say titles that are a part of sets which command high prices would be considered Rare: Criterion, BlueUnderGround etc. People who collect tend to go crazy for OOP titles of a set. Which is why you will see titles like The Third Man sell for so much. In case you've never been in the Criterion thread those people are El'Loco
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post
I have this, and I had no idea it was rare. I remember getting it for very cheap from Amazon.co.uk! Perhaps I should consider selling.
At the moment the cheapest New one is £55.22 and the most expensive £80 which is nearly 130 dollars. The cheapest Used one is about 65 dollars. Not sure if people ever buy them though....
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2009

I think the lowest print number, of a special edition I can think of off the top of my head is for this version of Aftershock

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Aftershock-Blu-ray/17078/

It is OOP but you can get it for about $55 on Ebay. Which is a lot less then Third Man or even that Transformers disk. And the latter ones I'm sure had more then 728 disks pressed then this version of Aftershock
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

Jul 2010

Cyborg: Albert Pyun Director's Cut I paid the extra $10 to get a BD-r copy instead of the DVD-r so I assume it's pretty rare
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

I would love to get my hands on a OOP 1st press Memories of Murder Korean BD. Don't know how many are out there still but I can't find it, so I consider it rare.

I bought my Battle Royale BD day 1 (3011 / 10000) surprised they are not sold out yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Gaines View Post
I would love to get my hands on a OOP 1st press Memories of Murder Korean BD. Don't know how many are out there still but I can't find it, so I consider it rare.
Yes, those first two CJ releases I consider extremely rare as well, and The Man From Nowhere looks to be right there with those two. As far as what I have been told, those and most South Korean BDs are in the 3-4 thousand print range.

But since people are apt to keep them, instead of trying to flip them for a profit as what happens to most rare BDs they are even more difficult to find. I think that first press of MoM would be the hardest BD to try and locate, even though it may not be the lowest print run out there.

Heck, someone offered me $200 for my copy
Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
Redlands, CA

is there a way to know all the rare blu ray, like the list somewhere?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
At the moment the cheapest New one is £55.22 and the most expensive £80 which is nearly 130 dollars. The cheapest Used one is about 65 dollars. Not sure if people ever buy them though....
Holy ****!! I remember this movie“going for £6 for AGES over at dvd.co.uk!! Thought about buying it many times but never thought I'd like it - so I held off
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

first run of Akira is rare, with the slipcase and booklet. glad i picked it up day one.
of my collection the ones i have that are OOP are Pierrot Le Fou, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Hot Rod, Akira, Battle Royale box, a few steelbooks. maybe some others im forgetting.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Special Member

Apr 2009
Garland, TX

I just looked up the Psycho Steelbook on Amazon UK and I'm sure glad I bought it when I did!
TV - Panasonic TC-P50U50 | Blu-ray - Region Free Sony BDP-S3200 | Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 | Fronts - Infinity P363 Towers | Center - Infinity PC251 | Surrounds - Technics Towers| Sub - BIC America V1220
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

A Room With a View, apparently only had a limited run, released on both blu-ray & HD DVD during the format war by BBC America, distributed by Warner. Cheapest price on Amazon Marketplace is currently $79.98. The last time I looked there were some on the $60s, so apparently folks are paying that much for a copy.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdot View Post
first run of Akira is rare, with the slipcase and booklet. glad i picked it up day one.
Dude, I still haven't opened my Akira simply for this reason. It was on my pile of "to be watched" Blus, which you know, takes forever to get thru. Then someplace I read it was rare and supposedly super collectible and now I feel so lame just letting it sit on my shelf, powerless of unwrap it! It's not like I'm ever gonna sell it either. I'm just a geek!

There's a thread around here too that's all about rare slipcovers as well. I don't know why it's the only one I remember from the list, but my Beetlejuice slip is on that list.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #20

Feb 2008
MA

I'm A Cyborg (also called "I'm A Cyborg, But That's Okay") by Park Chan-Wook is out of print. It was released in britain, but was region free (special features in PAL however), and had a great transfer.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Aperion Audio 4T (LF,RF) 5C (C) 5B (SL,SR SBL,SBR)
Aperion Audio Bravus 8D (Sub)
PS3 Slim (120GB) with Harmony PS3 Adapter
Harmony Touch
Displays Calibrated using Eye-One LT and HCFR
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America