Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Orange Is the New Black: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Knick: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.96
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
American Beauty (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #141

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBHampson View Post
Like many I'm sure, I'm looking at the well-reviewed and nicely priced SP-PK52FS 5.1 package.
I'm not, so could you link to what I assume is a good offer?

Make sure it's a really good offer compared to the good prices for the individual speakers, as you will want to replace the sub either immediately or eventually, depending on your budget and susceptibility to upgraditis.

Quote:
Would they pair well with a Yamaha RX-V377 or V477?
That depends more on your listening environment than on the speakers. Unless you're trying to fill a large room with sound, almost all modern receivers will be able to drive these speakers well enough. The quality of the sound will depend much more on the positioning, calibration and room acoustics.

Quote:
Apologies if this is a dumb question
There are lots and lots of dumb questions, but neither of yours are included.

Quote:
this will be my first venture into home theater sound.
Welcome to your new habit and congratulations of starting with one of the best investments in audio you'll make.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #142

Dec 2007

Sad news - Andrew Jones has now left Pioneer/TAD for ELAC!!!

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...nes-joins-elac
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Cornwall Vertical center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Crown 1000x Bridged Power amps (x2), BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #143

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Sad news
Which part of "returning to the U.S. market with a new affordable line of speakers designed by Jones" [emphasis mine] is the sad part?

PS. Don't mention the war.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #144

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
Which part of "returning to the U.S. market with a new affordable line of speakers designed by Jones" [emphasis mine] is the sad part?

PS. Don't mention the war.
None of that is sad !!!! The sad part is his relationship with Pioneer and TAD being over. Both Pioneer and TAD have put out some nice stuff during his tenure. ELAC is benefiting for sure, and by them returning to the US market is another benefit - but the sad part is the end of an age. I was sad when Arnie Nudell left Infinity to go over to Genesis, but it wasn't the end of Nudell speakers ....just the end of Nudell at Infinity, or when Kevin Voecks left Snell to go to Revel. Just a sad to watch an era end.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Cornwall Vertical center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Crown 1000x Bridged Power amps (x2), BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #145

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
I'm not, so could you link to what I assume is a good offer?

Make sure it's a really good offer compared to the good prices for the individual speakers, as you will want to replace the sub either immediately or eventually, depending on your budget and susceptibility to upgraditis.

That depends more on your listening environment than on the speakers. Unless you're trying to fill a large room with sound, almost all modern receivers will be able to drive these speakers well enough. The quality of the sound will depend much more on the positioning, calibration and room acoustics.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-PK52FS-Theater-Speaker-Package/dp/B00IK8I9K2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1431732538&sr=1-38&tag=blurayforum-20"]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-PK52FS-Theater-Speaker-Package/dp/B00IK8I9K2/ref=sr_1_38?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1431732538&sr=1-38
This is the set I'm looking at, and some searching has shown me that it's been cheaper in the past (including this past BF unfortunately), but I'm not sure how frequently it's cheaper.

I found these based on this article's recommendation.

FWIW, I think I'm going to move up one model, to a 7.2 AVR, just in case I decide to add another pair of speakers in the future.

Is the sub in this set substandard? ()

Should I try to purchase the other speakers individually (or in the 5.0 package from Amazon) and opt for a superior sub option?

I don't plan on being particularly susceptible to "upgraditis", but I've been wrong about myself before lol.

Last edited by CBHampson; 05-15-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #146
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Georgia PSN:Bodyslide

I would try to get just the 5.0 setup, then get a sub with whatever funds you have left. You can get the Bic F12 for around $200.00 on Amazon.
RIP IvanSeesAll You will be missed.
Thanks given by:
CBHampson (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 AM   #147

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
I would try to get just the 5.0 setup, then get a sub with whatever funds you have left. You can get the Bic F12 for around $200.00 on Amazon.
Thanks for the advice
Thanks given by:
Bodyslide (05-16-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #148

Dec 2014
Canada

CBHampson,

If I was you I would get 4 towers SP-FS52 or 5 and If you want a wonderfull Subwoofer check those from Power Sound Audio : http://www.powersoundaudio.com/
TV Display : Samsung 42" TV Display
Pre-Amp/Processor : Sherbourn PT7020A
Multi Channel Power Amp : Rotel RMB-1075
Blu-Ray Player : Oppo BDP-93
Center Speaker : Pioneer SP-C22
Front & Back Speakers : Pioneer SP-FS52 x 4
Subwoofer : Velodyne Impact 12
Old 05-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #149

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamjack View Post
CBHampson,

If I was you I would get 4 towers SP-FS52 or 5 and If you want a wonderfull Subwoofer check those from Power Sound Audio : http://www.powersoundaudio.com/
This is an interesting idea.....

Cost wise, once I factor in stands for the bookshelves in the rear, it's damn near the same.

Would 5.1/7.1 tracks benefit significantly from towers in the rear?

I imagine I'd need something to raise them up anyway though...to get them above ear level.

Last edited by CBHampson; 05-19-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #150

Dec 2014
Canada

I think the difference in cost is negligible, I advise you this because it provides better sound coherence between all speakers.

As you can see in my signature, I will change my center speaker to another tower SP-FS52 and buy two more for a 7.1 full set. And add two new subwoofers PSA S1500 or XS15se and add another stereo power amp. For the moment I just added spikes under the speakers to raise them up and I have used Hockey Pucks too
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ice-hockey-pucks.html
and I built acoustic panels
TV Display : Samsung 42" TV Display
Pre-Amp/Processor : Sherbourn PT7020A
Multi Channel Power Amp : Rotel RMB-1075
Blu-Ray Player : Oppo BDP-93
Center Speaker : Pioneer SP-C22
Front & Back Speakers : Pioneer SP-FS52 x 4
Subwoofer : Velodyne Impact 12
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers