Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Taken 3 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Rose (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sullivanís Travels (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Merchant of Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Da Vinci's Demons: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What you loved about the TDK Blu-ray
Shifting Picture 324 27.20%
PQ/AQ 735 61.71%
Extras/BD Live 29 2.43%
Other 103 8.65%
Voters: 1191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 AM   #7861
riddlerfiddler riddlerfiddler is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2013
198
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't give a crap about comic books, honestly. I like great films. The Dark Knight is a great film. It has crime film elements, superhero elements, revenge film elements, romance elements, horror elements, etc. etc. In the end it's a great film. Was Nolan (in general, not just in his Batman movies) influenced by Michael Mann a great deal? Yes, certainly. That's a good thing, because Mann is amazing.

Many comic book fans can't accept that film is a different medium. Marvel Studios is making comic books on screen as much as possible for that group and people still complain about minor changes. You're never going to please everyone.
Whoa, calm down. I said that The Dark Knight was a great film. I only said that it lacked the spirit of Batman. That doesn't diminish the quality of the film though. As someone who doesn't like comic books, it's understandable that you wouldn't understand that particular complaint. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a good example of a great film that still retains the spirit and essence of the character. The same goes for The Avengers.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 AM   #7862
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
385
105
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerfiddler View Post
Whoa, calm down. I said that The Dark Knight was a great film. I only said that it lacked the spirit of Batman. That doesn't diminish the quality of the film though. As someone who doesn't like comic books, it's understandable that you wouldn't understand that particular complaint. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a good example of a great film that still retains the spirit and essence of the character. The same goes for The Avengers.
I wasn't yelling at you, not sure where the "whoa" comes from.

I disliked The Avengers a great deal. Poor plotting, and endless fight at the end with too much CGI and an over-reliance on "hey look it's these characters" for me. I can understand why others like it though. Just not my style.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #7863
riddlerfiddler riddlerfiddler is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2013
198
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I wasn't yelling at you, not sure where the "whoa" comes from.

I disliked The Avengers a great deal. Poor plotting, and endless fight at the end with too much CGI and an over-reliance on "hey look it's these characters" for me. I can understand why others like it though. Just not my style.
I will concede that as a movie, The Avengers may not have been the best example. However, the movie was an achievement when it comes to comic book movies. It showed that it is possible to do a cohesive cinematic universe using multiple properties. If anything, The Avengers is an event. The entire premise is about these iconic characters coming together and learning to work well together. It was always going to be "hey look it's these characters" because that is what the entire basis of The Avengers is.

As for the amount of CGI, and I know you personally don't like CGI unless used sparingly, for that particular climax, the only way to do a lot of it and make it look good is CGI. You can't do a flying Thor or Iron Man without CGI. You can't do a good Hulk without CGI. You can't do an extremely nimble alien army without CGI. You can't do gigantic space worms without CGI. You can't do Hulk wrecking those aliens and space worms without CGI. Personally, I like it when practical effects are used as much as they can be. However, there does become a point where, to get the look and feel you want, you have to resort to CGI. Nolan himself saw this when it came to Two-Face and some of The Bat sequences.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 AM   #7864
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
385
105
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerfiddler View Post
I will concede that as a movie, The Avengers may not have been the best example. However, the movie was an achievement when it comes to comic book movies. It showed that it is possible to do a cohesive cinematic universe using multiple properties. If anything, The Avengers is an event. The entire premise is about these iconic characters coming together and learning to work well together. It was always going to be "hey look it's these characters" because that is what the entire basis of The Avengers is.

As for the amount of CGI, and I know you personally don't like CGI unless used sparingly, for that particular climax, the only way to do a lot of it and make it look good is CGI. You can't do a flying Thor or Iron Man without CGI. You can't do a good Hulk without CGI. You can't do an extremely nimble alien army without CGI. You can't do gigantic space worms without CGI. You can't do Hulk wrecking those aliens and space worms without CGI. Personally, I like it when practical effects are used as much as they can be. However, there does become a point where, to get the look and feel you want, you have to resort to CGI. Nolan himself saw this when it came to Two-Face and some of The Bat sequences.
None of what you're saying is wrong. If I watched the MCU movies in order as they come it would probably be easier for me to see The Avengers more as a climax than a standalone film. I think that's probably how it works best, the climax of Phase One. I'll review it in that light someday.

As for CGI, it's not that I dislike it, more that I need it to be balanced. An hour of it in a row is not balanced enough for me. More shots of real people doing real things within that fight would have made it ten times better for me, even if the grander stuff still had to be CGI. Or perhaps splitting the fight into two, with practical stuff between. Something like that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #7865
JackKnightStarman JackKnightStarman is offline
Senior Member
 
JackKnightStarman's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
San Fransokyo
1172
11
5
Default

I'll take any Marvel phase one or two films over Nolan's non-Batman sequels. Snyder's MOS is better too.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:19 AM   #7866
Cook Cook is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nov 2009
204
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynorcal View Post
is your name vince mcmahon?
Not sure what he has to do with anything in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I can't believe so many of you still have problems grasping the "as realistic as possible Batman" that Nolan was going for. It wasn't supposed to look like the comic book.
No Ive grasped that since 2005. You know that people are taller and bigger than Tom Hardy right? Bane could have been much bigger and still been realistic.

And about the whole "realism" thing. Do I need to remind you of the water vaporizer that can vaporize water in underground pipes but not in the human bodies standing right beside it? Or Bruce and Rachel free falling onto a cab from an upper floor of a sky scrapper? Or Bruce surviving multiple hundred foot drops with a rope around his waste that should have snapped his back? Or Bruce having a "dislocated vertebrate" punched back into place? Or a hundred other fantastical events and things in the films.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of what Nolan did and Batman Begins is my favorite Batman film, but the whole thing of trying to explain away Nolan's every decision by saying "He was going for realism" doesn't work. These films are choked full of fantasy. Nolan played fast and loose with "realism". So the argument that Bane couldn't have some strength augmenting supplement or be larger because it's not realistic doesn't work for me. Especially considering that in TDKR a nuke blows up 6 miles off the city coast and not so much as butterfly in that city is affected by it. Bane having a strength serum would have been one of the more realistic things in that film. But that's not what Nolan wanted and that's his choice.

Last edited by Cook; 08-31-2014 at 06:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #7867
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
385
105
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
No Ive grasped that since 2005. You know that people are taller and bigger than Tom Hardy right? Bane could have been much bigger and still been realistic.

And about the whole "realism" thing. Do I need to remind you of the water vaporizer that can vaporize water in underground pipes but not in the human bodies standing right beside it? Or Bruce and Rachel free falling onto a cab from an upper floor of a sky scrapper? Or Bruce surviving multiple hundred foot drops with a rope around his waste that should have snapped his back? Or Bruce having a "dislocated vertebrate" "punched back into place"? Or a hundred other fantastical events and things in the films.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of what Nolan did and Batman Begins is my favorite Batman film, but the whole thing of trying to explain away Nolan's every decision by saying "He was going for realism" doesn't work. These films are choked full of fantasy. Nolan played fast and loose with "realism". So the argument that Bane couldn't have some strength augmenting supplement because it's not realistic doesn't work for me. Especially considering that in TDKR a nuke blows up 6 miles off the city coast and not so much as butterfly in that city is affected by it. Bane having a strength scrum would have been one of the more realistic things in that film. But that's not what Nolan wanted and that's his choice.
This old chestnut. It's not about realism so far as "that could happen," it's about cinematic realism. Building a world that feels real. Nolan goes on and on about this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #7868
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
295
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKnightStarman View Post
I'll take any Marvel phase one or two films over Nolan's non-Batman sequels. Snyder's MOS is better too.
And Ill take any Nolan film over any boring Marvel comic book films. MOS?
I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein!!! And I want to know....what the **** you are doing with my time?!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #7869
MaxPowers MaxPowers is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2010
Moscow, Russia
655
58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
And Ill take any Nolan film over any boring Marvel comic book films. MOS?
I'll second that. Any Nolan film has more ambition and cinematic beauty than Marvel CGI cartoons. And I like Marvel.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (09-01-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #7870
Marv Inc. Marv Inc. is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2012
House
5
Default

Does the bonus disc on the last boxset with the making of the trilogy have any interview with heat legend on?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #7871
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
621
116
3
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
Does the bonus disc on the last boxset with the making of the trilogy have any interview with heat legend on?
Heath Ledger? And, I think that would be ...
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.


Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #7872
Marv Inc. Marv Inc. is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2012
House
5
Default

No? not even interviews from on the set?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #7873
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
621
116
3
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
No? not even interviews from on the set?
I don't have it, but earlier posters complained about that ... and no-one disagreed with my post, so ...
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.


Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #7874
buck135 buck135 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
No? not even interviews from on the set?
Nope.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Marv Inc. (09-01-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #7875
infiniteCR infiniteCR is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2014
Default

There's so many editions of this disc it makes my headspin! If I want to buy the one with the best PQ/AQ which one is it? Right now it appears that this one is the one with the highest video bitrate, why is that?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Da...Blu-ray/69301/
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #7876
Bad Sandwich Bad Sandwich is offline
Special Member
 
Bad Sandwich's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
1
Default

*Homer Simpson belch*
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #7877
Pieter V Pieter V is offline
Power Member
 
Pieter V's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Netherlands
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
There's so many editions of this disc it makes my headspin! If I want to buy the one with the best PQ/AQ which one is it? Right now it appears that this one is the one with the highest video bitrate, why is that?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Da...Blu-ray/69301/
Old disc mate.

Quote:
Disc:
Region: All
Runtime: 2:32:13
Chapters: 39
Feature Size: 35.07 GB
Disc Size: 40,716,923,842 bytes
Average Bitrate: 30.72 Mbps

Audio:
Dolby TrueHD Audio English 1505 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1505 kbps / 16-bit
(Horrible low for a Dolby TrueHD track)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ht_blu-ray.htm

This movie deserves a re-release with 4K DI scan. And a DTS-HD Master track.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #7878
graftn graftn is offline
New Member
 
Jul 2014
27
10
Default

For the people who have the two-disc slipcover, do you find that the slip is easily damaged? I just bought this for a second time because the first one I bought (used) came with a fairly damaged slipcover. Scratches and bends everywhere. The one I bought earlier today is new (which is exiting considering it came with a slip) and while it seems much better than the one I have now, it too had some scuffs. I hope when it comes in the mail it will look good. None of my other slips are so easily damaged. Except Rises for some reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #7879
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
621
116
3
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graftn View Post
For the people who have the two-disc slipcover, do you find that the slip is easily damaged? I just bought this for a second time because the first one I bought (used) came with a fairly damaged slipcover. Scratches and bends everywhere. The one I bought earlier today is new (which is exiting considering it came with a slip) and while it seems much better than the one I have now, it too had some scuffs. I hope when it comes in the mail it will look good. None of my other slips are so easily damaged. Except Rises for some reason.
This is the Mega thread. Many/most folks here own various trilogies (+some who have every version ). Anyway, here's a link to the "Rises" thread just in case you'll have better luck there:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201808
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.


Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
wow: mega jutter on Dark Knight pana 55 Blu-ray Players and Recorders BRUSSELHIFI 0 02-16-2009 01:14 PM
Just because I thought we needed ANOTHER Dark Knight thread General Chat atomik kinder 2 07-23-2008 04:23 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 PM.