Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$17.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Journey to Space 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$88.85
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #2341
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFanSam View Post
And now we know why!
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #2342
Banned

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
And now we know why!
Indeed. Saw the 4K version for about 4 in CEX several weeks ago. Don't know why I didn't grab it but i'm sure glad that I didn't.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #2343

Dec 2010
Chile

Is there a noticeable improvement over the first blu-ray release? I have no real problems with the first one, just wanted to know if they fixed some of the issues people had with it.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #2344
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANAFABICH View Post
Is there a noticeable improvement over the first blu-ray release? I have no real problems with the first one, just wanted to know if they fixed some of the issues people had with it.
yes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #2345

Dec 2010
Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
yes
Clear enough, thanks. I guess I'll then get the Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters II (4K-Mastered) box.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #2346
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Why could the review that started this thread be posted in the thread that already exists for Ghostbusters new Bluray release?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #2347
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
-

Anyone else see this tonight at the Vue? Advertised as being shown in 4K, but unfortunately it was not the case.

On the up side of things, it's Ghostbusters and it's on the big screen.

EDIT : My apologies. Posted in the wrong section. Was meant for the UK.
"Explanation is no good. You have to let them figure it out for themselves"

Stanley Kubrick. RIP

Last edited by Alex_DeLarge; 10-30-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #2348
Banned

Apr 2014

Does anyone else hear hiss in the surrounds on this one?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #2349
Power Member

Mar 2009
GOOLE NR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
Send a message via MSN to stubiedoo

I've got the German steelbook with 1 and 2 does anyone know if they're mastered in 4k? I mean the 1080p though I don't mean the recent native 4k release.
My mission is to protect you.
Yeah? Who sent you?
You did. Thirty-five years from now, you re-programmed me to be your protector here, in this time.
Oh, this is deep... ~
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #2350
Special Member

Nov 2009
Georgia

I have the 2009 release. Is the 4k releases from 2014 an improvement?
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #2351
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Yes.
JVC DLA-RS500 front projector
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
MartinLogan Motion XT35 (fronts)
MartinLogan Motion 4 (surrounds x 3)
Rythmik dual 12" subs (L12)
Old 09-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #2352
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Improvement, yes... worth re-buying, that's debatable. It's not like the previous Blu-ray releases were awful. I think most people would be hard-pressed to watch the earlier releases and then the new one and say the new one blew their socks off, to the point of wanting to spend money on yet, another copy.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #2353
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
Improvement, yes... worth re-buying, that's debatable. It's not like the previous Blu-ray releases were awful. I think most people would be hard-pressed to watch the earlier releases and then the new one and say the new one blew their socks off, to the point of wanting to spend money on yet, another copy.
Uh, I certainly would say it blew my socks off and was worth the money. These new 4k remasters are revelations most of the time.
Thanks given by:
KMFDMvsEnya (09-03-2016), WhySoBlu? (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #2354
Banned

Sep 2014
RIP, Your Royal Badness

Quote:
Definitely. The two-pack is the way to go - Amazon has it for ~$14 and they both look great.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #2355
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Uh, I certainly would say it blew my socks off and was worth the money. These new 4k remasters are revelations most of the time.
Well, obviously, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm not saying the mastered in 4k didn't look spectacular, just that the previous release wasn't bad, at least not bad to the point that most people would want to spend another $15-$20 (At the time of release) for the new one, depending on where you buy it, obviously. I'm a total PQ wh0re and it ended up not being worth it, for me. I should have spent the money on something I didn't already own. I think I've come to the realization that, unless the release I own is like a Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition, these releases with incremental picture quality refinement just aren't worth it. But, like I said, different people care about different things.

Now, granted, at this point, for $9.99 if you don't own the movie, the 4k would be a no-brainer. There's just so much double and triple dipping now days and the little PQ upgrades for every damn release become not as worth it for me, unless the previous versions are just a mess and the previous Ghostbusters looks quite good.

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.

Last edited by YodasFootPowder; 09-03-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #2356
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Incremental? It's not like the Mi4K has simply uncovered a smidge of extra detail, the old transfer has very harsh highlights which blow out a lot of detail (the garbage matte around the terror dog chasing Louis is horribly obvious too because it's too bright) and the grain is much chunkier and less refined, it's so distracting that I didn't actually enjoy watching the first BD release because it looked so harsh and video-like. The Mi4K was a revelation to me and worth every penny, factor in the new extras on the 2014 disc and it's a keeper.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #2357
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Incremental? It's not like the Mi4K has simply uncovered a smidge of extra detail, the old transfer has very harsh highlights which blow out a lot of detail (the garbage matte around the terror dog chasing Louis is horribly obvious too because it's too bright) and the grain is much chunkier and less refined, it's so distracting that I didn't actually enjoy watching the first BD release because it looked so harsh and video-like. The Mi4K was a revelation to me and worth every penny, factor in the new extras on the 2014 disc and it's a keeper.
Is there a cap comparsen of the 2 BD releases of the terror dog scenes? I remember being so vividly distracted when I saw those garbage mattes on the old BD, they stood out so badly. Surely the garbage mattes were no where near that obvious in its orignal theatrical run or on any of the other home video releases out there.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #2358
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Is there a cap comparsen of the 2 BD releases of the terror dog scenes? I remember being so vividly distracted when I saw those garbage mattes on the old BD, they stood out so badly. Surely the garbage mattes were no where near that obvious in its orignal theatrical run or on any of the other home video releases out there.
I dunno about the caps, nor older home video releases, but I did happen to see the movie theatrically on a 2K DCP a few years back and the garbage matte was virtually invisible, I was specifically looking for it in that scene because the shot on the old Blu was soooooo bad. Thankfully the Mi4K version gets much nearer to that theatrical showing, the matte is perhaps a little more obvious than what I saw in the cinema but that shot is now 100x better than the old Blu.
Thanks given by:
Blu-21 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 AM   #2359
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I dunno about the caps, nor older home video releases, but I did happen to see the movie theatrically on a 2K DCP a few years back and the garbage matte was virtually invisible, I was specifically looking for it in that scene because the shot on the old Blu was soooooo bad. Thankfully the Mi4K version gets much nearer to that theatrical showing, the matte is perhaps a little more obvious than what I saw in the cinema but that shot is now 100x better than the old Blu.
Well, 100x better might be a little bit of an exaggeration, in my personal opinion. Like I said, the new Blu is better, I just don't think the old one is bad. It's not like getting a remaster of Predator: Ultimate Hunter edition or Patton, etc...

Old 09-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #2360
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
Well, obviously, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm not saying the mastered in 4k didn't look spectacular, just that the previous release wasn't bad, at least not bad to the point that most people would want to spend another $15-$20 (At the time of release) for the new one, depending on where you buy it, obviously. I'm a total PQ wh0re and it ended up not being worth it, for me. I should have spent the money on something I didn't already own. I think I've come to the realization that, unless the release I own is like a Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition, these releases with incremental picture quality refinement just aren't worth it. But, like I said, different people care about different things.
I don't think you're a "total PQ w***e" then.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America