Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Prime: The Great Wall 4K $11.99 (74% claimed)
Prime: Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete… $13.99 (3 mins left)
Prime: Game of Thrones: Seasons 1-7 $74.99 (27 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99
20 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.85
17 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Ferdinand (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
The Naked Gun Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.91

A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$9.59
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals

Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #4001
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I always pay in GBP, never in US dollars on Amazon checkout. definitely cheaper that way.
Wish I had known this years ago. I've ordered quite a bit from Amazon UK
"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."- Tyler Durden
Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #4002

Mar 2010

For those interested, Star Trek TNG blu just dropped in price to 54.99. This turns out to be approximately $65.79. Better than the Amazon Italy, and the $99 deal a few weeks back.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #4003
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

star trek enterprise set dropped to 44.75 gbp after shipping and vat removal. comes out to be $60.14 shipped as well
Knife Party - Abandon Ship (Freaking Epic)
Andrew Rayel - Find Your Harmony (dj mix album of the year)
Old 07-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #4004
Special Member

Dec 2009
Wakanda
-

A lot of folks seam a bit confused about how foreign exchange rates work when buying items from Amazon.uk or any other country for that matter.

For example the rate at this moment is 1 BP to $1.333 USD. This is the Spot Rate. This is number that is usually quoted in the media and such. Do not expect to get this rate when making purchases on Amazon.uk. Based on peoples comments on this thread, looks like many fall into that boat.

Instead, you will receive what is referred to as the Buy Rate because you're purchasing a British Pound denominated item using US Dollars [Converting Dollars into British Pounds). This number is always higher than the spot rate. The Sell Rate is when you convert British Pounds to US Dollars. This is always lower than the spot rate. The latter doesn't apply to Amazon.uk transaction even when you have to return something.

The spread between the Buy Rate and Sell Rate vis-a-vie the Spot rate is the "profit" the banks (amazon?) make when doing the conversion. The size of the spread can vary depending on what institution is making the trade/converting.

Tried to keep the above explanation as close to Finance 101 as possible. Hope this helps folks.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (07-07-2016), Cook (07-01-2016), etmassey (07-02-2016), jmmicle (07-02-2016), luv2shop (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #4005
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Hobbit Extended 3D trilogy is at 45GBP list the $52 area shipped which about as low as it's been. It was lower at 37GBP before in November which was similat USD Shipped price. Esp good since the US set seemsOOS (?OOP) and is now selling at scalper prices,
I only need Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies EE 3D. I haven't seen any < $25 deals on it yet in the US (and it was always OOS at Gohastings). I almost never check UK prices except when someone highlights a UK deal (and you're often the one who does it here and you post on SD though persian_mafia usually takes your UK deals and posts them on SD first). Is BOTFA EE 3D out of print or just the trilogy set in the US?

Basically, I'm asking for your opinion if it's safe to wait for a deal on the 3rd Hobbit EE 3D in the US or if I'd better jump on the Trilogy from the UK before it goes out of print too?

I just know last time I finally jumped on a deal (ST:TNG BD set for $107 from Amazon UK) it's now about $40 cheaper and was released in the US for under $100 at BB. I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off my UK set. I don't want to get burned that badly again on any other foreign purchases.

Last edited by Joxx; 07-01-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:40 AM   #4006
Banned

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotblue View Post
[Show spoiler]A lot of folks seam a bit confused about how foreign exchange rates work when buying items from Amazon.uk or any other country for that matter.

For example the rate at this moment is 1 BP to $1.333 USD. This is the Spot Rate. This is number that is usually quoted in the media and such. Do not expect to get this rate when making purchases on Amazon.uk. Based on peoples comments on this thread, looks like many fall into that boat.

Instead, you will receive what is referred to as the Buy Rate because you're purchasing a British Pound denominated item using US Dollars [Converting Dollars into British Pounds). This number is always higher than the spot rate. The Sell Rate is when you convert British Pounds to US Dollars. This is always lower than the spot rate. The latter doesn't apply to Amazon.uk transaction even when you have to return something.

The spread between the Buy Rate and Sell Rate vis-a-vie the Spot rate is the "profit" the banks (amazon?) make when doing the conversion. The size of the spread can vary depending on what institution is making the trade/converting.

Tried to keep the above explanation as close to Finance 101 as possible. Hope this helps folks.
It's as if he thinks I am a somewhat rational and averaged intelligence individual.

Joke's on him.

[Show spoiler]Thanks for the explanation though, it was very informative
Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #4007

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotblue View Post
A lot of folks seam a bit confused about how foreign exchange rates work when buying items from Amazon.uk or any other country for that matter.

All you really need to know is what exchange rate your credit card uses. My Capital One uses the Visa exchange rate (Google Visa exchange rate calculator. My link gets caught in the spam filter) which put me at $1.342366 Dollars per pound on the day I purchased the Star Trek TNG complete UK set. It wound up being $66.21, which was a pretty good deal.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #4008
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

So when using a US issued credit card I should select card in British Pounds before submitting payment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #4009
Power Member

Mar 2010
Richmond, VA

If you have a Visa card and your bank uses Visa's exchange rate use this calculator (This one also has a place to add in foreign transaction percentage if your card has that) https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html

If you have a Mastercard card and your bank uses Mastercard's exchange rate use this calculator (Select GBP as the base currency) https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

If the number given is higher than Amazon UK's exchange rate then buy in USD, if it is lower than Amazon UK's exchange rate then buy in GBP.
PSN/XBOX Live/Nintendo ID: nickersonw
2018 Track What Movies I Watch
Twitter/Instagram

The "w" in "nickersonw" is for Walter
Thanks given by:
impasse (07-05-2016), kenbenobi (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #4010
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

But the payment will be approved either way, correct?

"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 07-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #4011
Power Member

Mar 2010
Richmond, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
But the payment will be approved either way, correct?

Yes

If your card shows up on Amazon UK it will work.

I have a Chase Visa credit card, Discover credit card, and a Mastercard debit card from my credit union. They all show up on my Amazon account, but only the Visa and Mastercard show up as valid payment options on Amazon UK.
PSN/XBOX Live/Nintendo ID: nickersonw
2018 Track What Movies I Watch
Twitter/Instagram

The "w" in "nickersonw" is for Walter
Old 07-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #4012
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Yes. The only difference is the total you end up paying. Now that the rates have stablized it's cheaper again to check out in GBP instead of $$$ for most people

Since your card is on a US Bank in USD, either Amazon will convert GBP to USD at checkout with their surcharge or your bank will convert the GBP to USD in their system using their exchange rate (and FOREX fee if any)
I placed pre-orders for Defenders and Civil War. I checked out in GBP and it seems a lot cheaper than buying those same titles from Amazon.US

Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #4013

Jul 2016

Quote:
I placed pre-orders for Defenders and Civil War. I checked out in GBP and it seems a lot cheaper than buying those same titles from Amazon.US

That will be interesting. I'm assuming Amazon UK doesn't charge until the pre-order ships? If so, I wonder if you will get the current exchange rate or the exchange rate at the time of shipping.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #4014
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

By law Amazon must charge what my receipt says or less. I might print it out and in September make sure that what they charge me matches what the receipt indicates

Old 07-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #4015
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

If you check out in GBP, then you get the rate it is when it ships. If you used the currency converter then you'll get the price in USD you locked in when placing the order.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #4016
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
You will be charged in GBP exactly what is on your order (no more, no less), but it will use exchange rate at the time the order posts.

If the exchange drops some more then you're even better off, if the rate goes back up then you'll lose a little. How good are you at predicting currency market and politcal issues? Or Harry Callahan famous line

That one fo the reasons Amazon will not let you use their Converter if an item is preordered/backordered for more than a couple weeks.
Well how much of a risk am I taking by pre-ordering? Civil War 3D bluray was less than 19 GBP including shipping...That's a great deal

Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #4017
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
Or Harry Callahan famous line
Is it, "Nobody put ketchup on a hotdog?"
to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed
Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #4018
Power Member

Apr 2011
Baltimore

Down to 1.30 now. Waiting to see how far this goes.
Voltron: Fleet of Doom Blu-ray, where art thou?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #4019
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

As a rule of thumb-when paying with a US issued mastercard or visa-is it better to rely on Visa/Mastercard exchange rate or Amazon exchange rate?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #4020
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
As a rule of thumb-when paying with a US issued mastercard or visa-is it better to rely on Visa/Mastercard exchange rate or Amazon exchange rate?
In general, yes, but from the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickersonw View Post
If you have a Visa card and your bank uses Visa's exchange rate use this calculator (This one also has a place to add in foreign transaction percentage if your card has that) https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html

If you have a Mastercard card and your bank uses Mastercard's exchange rate use this calculator (Select GBP as the base currency) https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

If the number given is higher than Amazon UK's exchange rate then buy in USD, if it is lower than Amazon UK's exchange rate then buy in GBP.
to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (07-06-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals