Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.40
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.59
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$134.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #1401
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddhi2011 View Post
Definitely a big difference.Thanks a lot for the snaps.
However, unlike 'The Mummy' this doesn't look like photochemically timed image. This has a digital look to it. That depth and richness in the colours are gone. Also, the image has lots of 'digital noise' which looks very different from film grain.

'Returns' does not look as good as this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru-way View Post
that's an amazing difference! Hmmm but in the review both the BD and the 4K UHD have the same video rating of 4.5.

In the UHD you can see the torch showcase a range of her facial flesh tones from darker to brighter shades as opposed to the one dimensional BD where she looks like she's made out of clay.

Killing us here with the giant REPEAT images.
Thanks given by:
Fakejb (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #1402
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

It'd blow your mind if you read up on what they had to do to restore Kubrick's Spartacus from the 8-perf original.
Why did you have to bring that up? The way the newer BD -- I might drop dead if they released an even better UHD.
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (08-13-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #1403
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

The 4K source DOES look even better than the excellent Blu which was derived from it (RAH posted some raw 4K captures a while back) so a UHD would be the icing on the cake.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #1404
Power Member

Oct 2010

So, did anyone who tried to get replacement discs from Universal ever get anything? I didn't. I inquired once to let them know I never received anything and received a response that said they'd find out what happened and send me tracking info. I was ignored after that. I would've just returned the set to Best Buy if Universal hadn't said they would send replacements.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #1405
Special Member

Jul 2013

Got one hell of a deal on this set, Mummy Trilogy 4K.

Walked into a Disc Replay and found a set for $14.99 plus tax.

I'm guessing someone appraised the set as BD only and didn't see the 4K angle.

The three 4K discs are basically perfect, so I pulled them out of that awful packaging.

Grabbed my existing Mummy BDs and turned each movie into a 2-disc combo pack.
Thanks given by:
flyry (Yesterday), MarekM (08-13-2017), rpvee (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #1406
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Well, you guys convinced me to wait for Spartacus to receive an actual 4K UHD.

No point in buying a 1080p disc of it.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #1407

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You're absolutely right, Ridsy old chap. While the extra detail in the Returns UHD is unmistakable (and MOST welcome) the grain does indeed look much more blotchy and 'digital' when you examine it a bit closer. It's still my firm belief that this is the old transfer repurposed whereas Mummy 1 is a brand new scan, maybe not of the negative but when it looks as good as that ^ I'm not complaining!
I know this is an old post, but thanks a lot for the shots. I haven't paid much attention to this discussion lately. Honestly to me this looks like the same jump in detail as the first one and I'm really curious why you people insist this would not be a new scan. The difference in grain might be explained by different processing of the original film material, the way the movies were shot in general or by different film stocks. Movies just tend to look different.

Judging from the shots it is hard for me to believe this new disc is based on the old scan. Even if the Blu-ray image was filtered/processed - what kind of treatment would be able to erase all the detail visible in the new master? Even with DNR at max it would hardly be possible to make all the fine lines and shapes completely invisible. I still have to see it in motion for myself but for now I'd go with the original info that both movies got new scans indeed and they just have kind of a different look and feel that makes the second movie look a bit worse.
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #1408
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

They don't just have DNR in their toolbox, there are various filtering kernels that can be used to soften the image for whatever reasons. And bear in mind that when Universal released the film on Blu-ray they added more filtering and noise reduction over and above the HD DVD. There other forensic markers too, like the "new scan" having the exact same telecine wobble (a visible 'judder' from side to side) and specks of dirt as the older transfer.

Look at it this way: it's not really a case of the 4K master of Returns showing anything like 4K detail, but because the Blu-ray was filtered so heavily the unfettered treatment of this same master revealed a wealth of extra information in comparison. I watched the two Mummies back to back in UHD and to my eyes Returns was a clear step down in terms of spatial resolution (fine detail tapers off earlier, grain is much less finely resolved, more obvious sharpening) compared to the sheer filmic gorgeousness of The Mummy, and of course "different movie is different" but something in the same series made just two years later by the same director and cinematographer using the same base format (anamorphic 35mm) should resolve in much the same way - IF it were given the same treatment during the 4K mastering. Film is a mercurial mistress but it's not as random as people may think.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies