Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Three Musketeers 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attenborough's Life Stories (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #1241
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Old 11-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #1242
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Thanks given by:
jscoggins (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #1243
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
So still no possibility of an IMAX version? Into Darkness eventually got one. It would be nice for this one to get one too.
Yeah, that would be really great, and get rid of that ugly macroblocking and banding (sandstorm) as well.

I REALLY don't understand Brad Bird's decision to have it released in this form and not in the massively superior IMAX version.
Why? Just WHY?
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.), Death Becomes Her R. Z.,Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Fierce Creatures (John Cleese, E. I., J.L.Curtis)Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #1244
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Does it kill you to use a question mark when asking a question? -- O V N
Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #1245
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Has nothing to do with what I said.
When one movie makes nearly $230 million more than the other and you're arguing that the lower grossing film of the two is more popular, it does.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #1246
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
Yeah, that would be really great, and get rid of that ugly macroblocking and banding (sandstorm) as well.

I REALLY don't understand Brad Bird's decision to have it released in this form and not in the massively superior IMAX version.
Why? Just WHY?
I agree 100%-- I wish they would've released both versions or done seamless branching or something. I saw Ghost Protocol at an IMAX and I can't imagine watching some of those sequences cropped down to 2.40:1. I love the shifting aspect ratios in the Dark Knight films and would love to have it for this film as well.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (12-06-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #1247
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Last edited by jscoggins; 11-30-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #1248
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Yeah, that scene especially needs to open up to 16:9 for home viewing. What sucks about it is Brad Bird said the effect wouldn't be the same on televisions at home, but he forgot to account for people with projectors. That DOES do a pretty good job recreating that feeling.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #1249
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
Yeah, that scene especially needs to open up to 16:9 for home viewing. What sucks about it is Brad Bird said the effect wouldn't be the same on televisions at home, but he forgot to account for people with projectors. That DOES do a pretty good job recreating that feeling.
Unfortunately, that is the only video clip on the Internet that I can find with the 1.44:1 framing.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #1250
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

For awhile, the version on Netflix was open matte or something, allowing you to see the scene as it was in IMAX.

I've additionally heard a tidbit from another critic recently that I found interesting. He and some other LA journalists were shown the Burj sequence at a panel, in the IMAX format, well before the movie opened and he was mentioning that he didn't like the version in the movie because he felt the one he was shown was better (it was longer, apparently had more after the cutter sparks and he falls). It would be doubly cool if any IMAX version came with the longer edit of the sequence. I like the film as it is but knowing there was an alternative version makes me curious.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #1251
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
When one movie makes nearly $230 million more than the other and you're arguing that the lower grossing film of the two is more popular, it does.
Yet that's not what I said. What I said was Star Trek has a stronger genre fanbase who will buy multiple releases. Also that Into Darkness had a lot more reasons for a re-release than Ghost Protocol does. Neither of these two things have anything to do with box office take.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #1252
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yet that's not what I said. What I said was Star Trek has a stronger genre fanbase who will buy multiple releases. Also that Into Darkness had a lot more reasons for a re-release than Ghost Protocol does. Neither of these two things have anything to do with box office take.
And Into Darkness ranks pretty low among that fanbase.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America