Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #1761

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
Mine does the same. However, I think it's only missing the final seconds. You can see the full interview on the Code Red DVD.

Also, the "Make Up Test Stills" and "Still Gallery" on the Special Features menu aren't selectable. You can't even highlight them.
Wow, the Unseen disc is all kinds of screwed up. I was just listening to the commentary (which is out of sync with the film for the majority, and has long silent edit gaps; but that's minor), and mid-way through the producer telling an anecdote about Yul Brynner, it stops and goes back and the commentary repeats itself - you hear all of it twice in a row. And it's not for like just one sentence, but several minutes worth.

It's really crazy to me that none of the reviews - including site's - that go into the extras mention any of this. I guess most reviewers just skim without paying attention?

Also, jeez with the Katrina spoilers... I won't spoil it here, but in the intro to the movie, Katrina reveals what "The Unseen" of the movie is, that you don't discover until the big climax. She doesn't just say it, she shows the video footage from the ending and everything. Good thing her intros are optional, but since nothing warns you she's specifically going to reveal the film's big secret, I imagine most viewers just stick in the blu and have the movie spoiled before it even begins.

...On another note, I hope this recent talk of Scorpion making limited runs of their blus doesn't mean Sorceress is off.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #1762

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
Wow, the Unseen disc is all kinds of screwed up. I was just listening to the commentary (which is out of sync with the film for the majority, and has long silent edit gaps; but that's minor), and mid-way through the producer telling an anecdote about Yul Brynner, it stops and goes back and the commentary repeats itself - you hear all of it twice in a row. And it's not for like just one sentence, but several minutes worth.

It's really crazy to me that none of the reviews - including site's - that go into the extras mention any of this. I guess most reviewers just skim without paying attention?

Also, jeez with the Katrina spoilers... I won't spoil it here, but in the intro to the movie, Katrina reveals what "The Unseen" of the movie is, that you don't discover until the big climax. She doesn't just say it, she shows the video footage from the ending and everything. Good thing her intros are optional, but since nothing warns you she's specifically going to reveal the film's big secret, I imagine most viewers just stick in the blu and have the movie spoiled before it even begins.

...On another note, I hope this recent talk of Scorpion making limited runs of their blus doesn't mean Sorceress is off.

If its any consolation, THE UNSEEN blu ray was authored by a place I no longer use, now I use the same place Shout Factory uses so less goofs that occur AFTER my approval of the test disc, and Katarina stuff is no more, besides, it is going to go OOP soon, as we wont be pressing any new units of it. (the DVD actually sold better on this)

Last edited by ScorpionReleasing; 04-19-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #1763
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionReleasing View Post
If its any consolation, THE UNSEEN blu ray was authored by a place I no longer use, now I use the same place Shout Factory uses so less goofs that occur AFTER my approval of the test disc, and Katarina stuff is no more, besides, it is going to go OOP soon, as we wont be pressing any new units of it. (the DVD actually sold better on this)
Are all the retail Scorpion disc going OOP now?
Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper than something that is larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #1764
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

I hope not. There are still a few I need to pick up.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1765
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
now I use the same place Shout Factory uses so less goofs that occur AFTER my approval of the test disc
Not necessarily - are you aware of the consistently poor encoding Scream's discs receive?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #1766

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Not necessarily - are you aware of the consistently poor encoding Scream's discs receive?
Will look into this, thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #1767

Dec 2013

Quote:
Will look into this, thanks!
Aw, man! I hope this doesn't set you back further. I read about your releases going limited, and I'd hate to see Blu-ray be a rockier road than it has to be for you, because I'm really holding out for Grizzly and Don't Go in the House on blu (and looking forward to supporting your other horror releases while I wait). Heck, one day even the proper elements to The Dark might turn up. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Most wanted on blu: Blood and Lace ('71), Silent Night, Bloody Bight ('72), What Have You Done to Solange? ('72), Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural ('73), Messiah of Evil ('73), Terror Circus ('74), It's Alive ('74), Alice, Sweet Alice ('76), Embryo ('76), Rituals ('77), Shock Waves ('77), The Manitou ('78), Don't Go in the House ('79), The Dark ('79), Phantasm ('79), Ghost Story ('81), Hell Night ('81), Madman ('82), C.H.U.D. ('84), Link ('86), Leatherface: TCM III ('90).
Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 AM   #1768
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Ashton View Post
Aw, man! I hope this doesn't set you back further. I read about your releases going limited, and I'd hate to see Blu-ray be a rockier road than it has to be for you, because I'm really holding out for Grizzly and Don't Go in the House on blu (and looking forward to supporting your other horror releases while I wait). Heck, one day even the proper elements to The Dark might turn up. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Yeah!

Everyone seems excited for Don't Go In The House.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #1769
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Consistently poor encoding? Um...ok... Exaggerate much?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #1770
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Consistently poor encoding? Um...ok... Exaggerate much?
No, I don't. All quotes, except where noted, are taken from the on-site reviews, although the criticism has also been more damning elsewhere. The encoding issues vary from the minor to the major, but the consistent pattern is obvious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumber Party Massacre
There are some minor compression artifacts noticeable in some of the very darkest segments, including some of the nighttime out of door chase scenes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard
The worst moments are at the beginning, in an underlit party scene that has minor though noticeable compression artifacts running through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlspace
The film is quite dark at times and there are noticeable compression artifacts which tend to crop up during these scenes, especially at the bottom of the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Show
there are also compression artifacts as well as what I would term an overly processed looking image.
Since there is no on-site Bad Dreams/Visiting Hours review, this review quote is from the widely-respected Adam Tyner at DVD Talk:

Quote:
If you don't get why I'm going on and on about the sloppy compression, expand this screenshot to full-size. It's an uncompressed PNG straight from the Blu-ray disc, so there aren't any JPEG hiccups to skew the results. That's straight-up embarrassing.
And that's just the last five months. I could go back and go through all of the reviews for more quotes, but these issues have already been brought up in the various films' threads. I think the word 'consistent' is certainly applicable here. And for those who would protest that the compression issues are minor, I would ask: how many Synapse, Arrow, Criterion, BFI or MoC reviews even mention compression at all? Obviously Scream/Shout be commended for the fine work they do in terms of commissioning extras, listening to fans, and having a genuine passion for the films themselves. That doesn't mean that poor encoding should get a free pass.

Last edited by NoirFan; 04-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #1771
Power Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
The commentary was recorded for the Code Red disc, but the Scorpion blu-ray runs 2 1/2 minutes longer than the Code Red DVD. So the overlaps / silences must be where the additional footage is included.

I don't really listen to commentaries, and I usually only watch the extras once, so those little goofs didn't bother me much. The presentation is beautiful and the movie is a favorite, so I'm very happy with Scorpion's blu-ray.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #1772

Jun 2012
Chicago!

House On Sorority Row should be at my door tomorrow. looks like it sold out at diabolik hopefully this moves for you Walt
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #1773

Jun 2012

My Blu-ray of Harlequin is ridged all along the outer circumference of the disc instead of being smooth. Not sure what that is but the ridging is regular if I run my finger along the entire outer circumference of the disc.

Is anyone else's like this or did I just get a weird disc? I've never seen a Blu-ray like that. It played fine in my player though and everything seems fine, so I kept it, but still can't help but wonder.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #1774
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by risky1975 View Post
House On Sorority Row should be at my door tomorrow. looks like it sold out at diabolik hopefully this moves for you Walt

I hope they get more copies in cuz I'm not paying $28 + shipping on Amazon. What's with these stratospheric prices??
Arrow Demons/Demons 2 steelbook F/S.
The Swimmer DVD F/S
Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #1775

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I hope they get more copies in cuz I'm not paying $28 + shipping on Amazon. What's with these stratospheric prices??
I think the cost of secure the license and the pressing of the disc warrants the higher price. That being said, still to high for me even though I want them. That being said I think Scorpion does a great job and if I could I would buy more. He has to make money somehow.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #1776
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
No, I don't. All quotes, except where noted, are taken from the on-site reviews, although the criticism has also been more damning elsewhere. The encoding issues vary from the minor to the major, but the consistent pattern is obvious:

Since there is no on-site Bad Dreams/Visiting Hours review, this review quote is from the widely-respected Adam Tyner at DVD Talk:

And that's just the last five months. I could go back and go through all of the reviews for more quotes, but these issues have already been brought up in the various films' threads. I think the word 'consistent' is certainly applicable here. And for those who would protest that the compression issues are minor, I would ask: how many Synapse, Arrow, Criterion, BFI or MoC reviews even mention compression at all? Obviously Scream/Shout be commended for the fine work they do in terms of commissioning extras, listening to fans, and having a genuine passion for the films themselves. That doesn't mean that poor encoding should get a free pass.
I agree, poor compression is a huge issue with Scream factory titles. I hope they start doing something about it.
"I'm going to destroy them." - John 'Breacher' Wharton - Sabotage (2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1777
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
I think the cost of secure the license and the pressing of the disc warrants the higher price. That being said, still to high for me even though I want them. That being said I think Scorpion does a great job and if I could I would buy more. He has to make money somehow.

Nah, it's an Amazon thing. Pretty much anything released by the independents is an arm and a leg on Amazon and prices don't seem to come down much. In the case of House On Sorority Row, I believe Walter has a long-term license with the rightsholders so that has no bearing on retail prices, high or low. Amazon has just gotten too big, so they've reached a point where they feel they can charge what they want at their leisure. It's the main reason I dropped Amazon Prime - I get most of the cult titles from places like Diabolik. I'll just wait til they restock.
Arrow Demons/Demons 2 steelbook F/S.
The Swimmer DVD F/S
Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #1778

Jan 2012
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by risky1975 View Post
I plan on using this month's Amazon points on HoSR in several days here
Release wishlist: Dolls Sisters Deadfall (1993) Vampire's Kiss The Hidden Don't Look Now Man Bites Dog The Brood The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover Something Wicked This Way Comes Don't Torture a Duckling Black Belly of the Tarantula Brain Damage
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #1779
Special Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacenaire View Post
My Blu-ray of Harlequin is ridged all along the outer circumference of the disc instead of being smooth. Not sure what that is but the ridging is regular if I run my finger along the entire outer circumference of the disc.

Is anyone else's like this or did I just get a weird disc? I've never seen a Blu-ray like that. It played fine in my player though and everything seems fine, so I kept it, but still can't help but wonder.
I've seen blu-ray discs like this and never had a problem with them. The rippled circumfrance maintains a flat surface but there are very little "hills" on the perimeter side. I think it's just the nature of some discs but cosmetic; sort of like how sometimes there's a small "burn mark" on the interior ring. The interior ring should work well on a spindle and the edges on the exterior don't really serve a purpose in playing the disc (some novelty discs are even not circular).
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #1780

Apr 2011

I asked Diabolik on Facebook when they'll be getting more in stock and was told that since tomorrow is the release date, they'll have more available then, so I went ahead and placed my order.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Tags
final exam, releasing, scorpion, scorpion releasing