Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Swiss Army Man (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #241
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
I got my set and watched the first film...terrible. I am not anti DNR...it is a tool that can be useful and it is used all the time. However, the people who "worked" on this set scrubbed all of the grain, the movies do not look like film = Terrible.

The subtitles are of different colors when people speak: yellow, green, red subtitles. Criterion REALLY needs to release this and give it the proper treatment. Do yourselves a favor and do not buy this garbage.
Is there a decent/definitive DVD collection, and is it better than the blu? Or at least more faithful to the source material?

Last edited by JohnCarpenterLives; 03-19-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #242
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
Is there a decent/definitive DVD collection, and is it better than the blu? Or at least more faithful to the source material?
Yeah probably the Eureka region 2 DVD boxset but with the criterion release on the way I would wait for that.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), Roman Holiday (1953), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), The Naked Spur (1953), Blood Link (1982), The Great Silence (1968), A Bronx Tale (1993), Targets (1968), The Woman in the Window (1944), Waking The Dead (2000), Secret Agent (1936), If You Meet Saratana... Pray For Your Death (1968).
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #243
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
I got my set and watched the first film...terrible. I am not anti DNR...it is a tool that can be useful and it is used all the time. However, the people who "worked" on this set scrubbed all of the grain, the movies do not look like film = Terrible.

The subtitles are of different colors when people speak: yellow, green, red subtitles. Criterion REALLY needs to release this and give it the proper treatment. Do yourselves a favor and do not buy this garbage.
I like the subs personally, but I guess I'm used to that style as several Asian movies on DVD have it. I didn't think the PQ was that bad, but it certainly depends on your tolerance for DNR, etc..They would have fared better had they added artificial grain back to it

Anyway, best to resell it while the value is still high. It'd be hard to imagine Criterion not having the superior release. I just hope they don't muck up the colors as I feel that's one thing this OOP set gets pretty right.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #244
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I like the subs personally, but I guess I'm used to that style as several Asian movies on DVD have it. I didn't think the PQ was that bad, but it certainly depends on your tolerance for DNR, etc..They would have fared better had they added artificial grain back to it

Anyway, best to resell it while the value is still high. It'd be hard to imagine Criterion not having the superior release. I just hope they don't muck up the colors as I feel that's one thing this OOP set gets pretty right.
Nope, the films would have fared well if restored...that is why I hoping for a Criterion release. The colors are excellent...that is the one positive plus there is no print damage visible other than a white speck or two here and there. The audio is crisp and clear without any distortions. Shame really because the dubbed set looks great.

IMO, subtitles should not be a distraction and should let the viewer focus on the movie, the opposite of what we have here. They messed this release up...no doubt.

Last edited by Blu Titan; 03-20-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added more and clarified.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #245
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Nope, the films would have fared well if restored...that is why I hoping for a Criterion release. The colors are excellent...that is the one positive plus there is no print damage visible other than a white speck or two here and there. The audio is crisp and clear without any distortions. Shame really because the dubbed set looks great.

IMO, subtitles should not be a distraction and should let the viewer focus on the movie, the opposite of what we have here. They messed this release up...no doubt.
The sad thing is they released the Shogun Assassin set prior to that one, and it received praise. It had film grain, etc..I don't know why they felt they had to tinker with the masters any further. They obviously meant well, but they should leave that kind of work to people who know what they're doing.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #246

Aug 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The sad thing is they released the Shogun Assassin set
Man, I've read that review before and I'm just as baffled now. How on earth could Jeffrey Kauffman not see how horrible they look? Like, was he sitting 15 feet from a 40" TV or something? Didn't he have a look at the caps that accompany his review?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #247
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

With the possible Criterion, and even the price-drop on this one before it went OOP, I sure feel like a dope dropping $40 on the set when it was new at the time.
I'll be back – for more bargain bin Blus!

Threads I curate: Best Buy $5.99 Bin | Big Lots Deals | 7-Eleven Blu-ray Deals | 99-cent HD Rental of the Week
Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #248
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
With the possible Criterion, and even the price-drop on this one before it went OOP, I sure feel like a dope dropping $40 on the set when it was new at the time.
Sell it! It goes or around $100 on ebay.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 AM   #249

Dec 2010
USA

The German release is much better. It doesn't have the shrill audio of the animeigo set, and it isn't scrubbed of grain. Unfortunately, it only has German subs though. I really hope Criterion releases this soon.
Thanks given by:
Alfred E. Neumann (04-13-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #250
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

If Criterion releases this I will gladly pick it up as I only paid $17 for the Animeigo set.
SteelBooks™: 188

Pre-Orders
September: The Blue Dahlia, Captain America: Civil War 3D, The Iron Giant, Return of Godzilla, The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection, Road House (1948)
October: Odds Against Tomorrow, The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection, Mr Deed's Goes to Town
November: Cry of the City
Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #251

Dec 2015

Holy chit.

I ordered the ultra rare oop Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series (not the same as these films) 6 DVD Collection One set from this site called Anime Poko. After doing so I researched the site and found out it was supposed to be some sort of scam site and no one was getting their items. I planned on filing the Paypal dispute soon, not a big deal... Well today it came in the mail. A sealed authentic set put out by Tokyo Shock. It costs around $40 shipped and apparently takes a month to get it but I definitely wasn't scammed. Collection Two is in print and pretty cheap on Ebay so if you want both sets now you know where to get it without spending a fortune.
“They knead their own flesh into daily bread, and transmute their contrite hearts into basins of gruel."
Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #252
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Horris View Post
Holy chit.

I ordered the ultra rare oop Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series (not the same as these films) 6 DVD Collection One set from this site called Anime Poko. After doing so I researched the site and found out it was supposed to be some sort of scam site and no one was getting their items. I planned on filing the Paypal dispute soon, not a big deal... Well today it came in the mail. A sealed authentic set put out by Tokyo Shock. It costs around $40 shipped and apparently takes a month to get it but I definitely wasn't scammed. Collection Two is in print and pretty cheap on Ebay so if you want both sets now you know where to get it without spending a fortune.
Looking to sell or trade like new copies of A Brighter Summer Day and Amarcord for one of the following:
-Gilda
-The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
-The 400 Blows

More Criterions available for sale/trade on link below:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....60614&page=124
Thanks given by:
G. Costanz (06-17-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #253

May 2016

This was posted by the artist Paul Pope on his Instagram! @criterioncollection...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHXe88Agx4Z/

Thanks given by:
BobbyMcGee (07-03-2016), JoeBuck (07-03-2016), Mr. Thomsen (07-03-2016), Singed Minge (07-03-2016), zombivish (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #254
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

REALLY looking foward to a Criterion release. A triple dip for me, but well worth it after viewing the aberration which is the OOP release.
Thanks given by:
Sleazeaddict (07-03-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America