COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbuffguy View Post
We didn't get to see them that early, but while our manager was the biggest b*tch I've ever known, the guy that cut the films would always invite us all to watch one of them the night before.
From about 1994-1997 I was good friends with a bunch of people at one of my local theaters including the manager. So every Wednesday night when the reels for that weekend's movies arrived, I'd go in and watch them with the manager and employees after closing. I'd often hang out with the manager while he assembled it, and eventually starting helping him do it (and then for a while even did it FOR him while he finished up working downstairs). Saw TONS of movies a couple days early back then, sometimes 2-3 in a night so we were there until 5am or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliesr View Post
I worked in the movie theater business for almost 15 years starting with concession person all the way up to GM. I saw an awful lot of movies during those years. The best were those that we in the industry were able to see ahead of time (more than just a couple of days or a week) - trade screenings!

My most memorable was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 6 weeks before release!!!(Paramount people flew in for it and there were maybe 6 people that got to watch it)

And Star Trek VI I got to see 6 weeks early too. It was a working print so SPFX weren't done yet.

Lethal Weapon 2 - 4 weeks before release.

The good old days....
I LOVED trade screenings!! From 1999-2000 I got into a ton of them. I had moved to an area where they held them and my best friend was roommates with the manager of a local theater who knew about them and he would let us tag along. Even when he wasnt there, I went to a lot of them. They were always at the same theater, so I would call and ask the manager what trade screenings they had coming up, and then just show up. No one asked any questions - it was like if you knew it was going on, you were probably supposed to be there. There were never more than 10-20 people at them. I saw lots of them a couple weeks early, and a few were WAY early.

My favorites were FIGHT CLUB, which I think we watched about 3 months before release (!!) and then GLADIATOR, which was about 2 months early and still had temp music scores in it.

I miss those days...
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)

Last edited by cinemaphile; 03-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
El Paso, Texas

Including re releases, my average has been about 80/year since 2010.
My Reviews - My Art - My Twitter

Instagram: @abdrewes

Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #23

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands

I usually go several times a month, scheduling double/triple features if and when I can.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBelm View Post
I usually go several times a month, scheduling double/triple features if and when I can.
But paying for every movie, right?
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Suspended

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I used to go to the movies every Saturday and Sunday when I was in my 20s or younger. Now not so much. In fact I probably saw more movies in the theater in 1993 than I have in 1994-2013.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
Special Member

Dec 2009

Oy, this is a tough one... the first movie I remember seeing was Batman, when I was just shy of 4 years old, so I'd have to start from there Aside from that, it also depends on who I've been dating. My last gf made it seem like we had to go every weekend, sometimes seeing multiple films, while my current gf is far more picky... good for my wallet, I suppose

Like this past month, I saw Jack The Giant Slayer, Incredible Burt Wonderstone, and The Croods, while next month I'll probably only see Evil Dead.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

So far I have gone to see I believe 42 movies in my 29 years on this earth.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

No less than 1 a month for the past 20 years
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Franklin, WI
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

I've saved all my movie tickets since I turned 18 and I have seen 315 films in 7 years.

I normally go once a week now, with the advent of the movie cash.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnasty View Post
I've saved all my movie tickets since I turned 18 and I have seen 315 films in 7 years.

I normally go once a week now, with the advent of the movie cash.
I always wanted to keep like all my stubs as a cool collection, but for several years I was getting in free due to a friend managing a theater, plus advance screenings and stuff, so it would have been far from complete. Thus, I never bothered.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #31

Jun 2012
-
-

Usually about half a dozen times a year.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
Special Member

Oct 2011
Canada

I barely ever go . I hate living in a small town with no movie theatre. I'm so happy I am graduating High School in June so I can leave these s***** small minded people and this s***** town behind me.
"Your Story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story, who you choose to be..."

Favourite Movies By Year:
2009: Moon 2010: The Social Network 2011: Hugo 2012: Marvel's The Avengers 2013: The Wolf of Wall Street
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #33
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

286 different films with a good chunk of them having been seen at least twice (and a few three, even four times). As a kid, I only got to go to the movies once in a while, and usually it was only if my parents or my older sister wanted to see the movie in question. Once I graduated high school and had my own job and a car, that's when I started going more often. I'll have to arrange it so my 300th this year is a big event film.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"

Last edited by The Mad Kiwi; 03-30-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

This just in the past 2 years from AMC Stubs

Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #35
Special Member

Aug 2012
Columbiana, OH

Not sure exactly, but since I started collecting movie stubs in 2002, I've acquired roughly 200 stubs.
"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
Isaac Asimov
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Rad
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
Special Member

Mar 2007
Minnesota

I started collecting stubs in 1999 and started a scrapbook but let it go. I have a bunch in a collector's coffee mug from the past 5 years or so. Definitely not every film I've ever been too. I also worked for a theater, a second run joint, but the owner had (and still has) the only independently run first-run in the area so he let me in to a bunch for free during my time. I saw a bunch of films from June 2008-May 2009 free of charge. Also got a lot of free popcorn and soda. The only times during that period by friends and I went to a different theater was if the film were 3D or in IMAX (or we went to a chain to see Quantum of Solace on a mega screen). Other than that, free movies for nearly a year. Great times. Plus, after I got a new job I still had passes that got me into a few more (but now we had to start paying for snacks).

Oh also, I started getting invited to his private staff screenings at his larger theater. I saw films like "Watchmen", "The International", and "Fast and Furious" a day or two before they came out in theaters.
My (Modest) Home Theater:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=obriensg1

"Something good. Something bad. A bit of both!"
Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D- August 1st

Last edited by obriensg1; 03-30-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: detail
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

I'm not sure how many cinema trips I had as a kid, but counting everything I can remember, I'm at exactly 100. That's like an average of three theater trips per year (but counting my adult life only, it's more like 5 or something).

I am hoping to get my butt in gear and go more often.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #38

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
But paying for every movie, right?
Yeah of course, I mainly try to go on a day that multiple films I want to see are playing since the theatre is quite a distance from me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies