Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Blu-ray)
$4.99
20 hrs ago
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$4.99
20 hrs ago
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$4.99
20 hrs ago
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Miracle (Blu-ray)
$5.99
4 hrs ago
Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$85.62

West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8 hrs ago
The Sartana Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.09

Misery (Blu-ray)
$5.52

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Game Night (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Default Why is Pixar so much better than Dreamworks at CGI films?

Story, plot and people. Period. While I enjoy that bit of edgy "adult" material Dreamworks uses, Pixar just tells a better story. CGI wise, they both do a great job.

I believe Pixar just has a soul. I like the celebs and character voices much more. They just seem more, well, human. Dreamworks has great voices too, but when you have a tool like Jack Black (albeit, a talented tool) doing the voice of a cute Panda, the movie just is missing something.

Scumbag celebs doing "family friendly" movies just doesn't fool my gut reaction. I like Shrek a whole lot, but almost anything Pixar is most desired by me. Anyone like Dreamworks better?
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882

Last edited by tron3; 09-26-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 AM   #2

Nov 2007

Dreamworks is like McDonalds, and Pixar is more of a 5 star resturant.

There seems to be no quality control over there.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #3

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellzSoup View Post
Dreamworks is like McDonalds, and Pixar is more of a 5 star resturant.

There seems to be no quality control over there.
That is one of the best analogies I've ever heard! Sometimes you are in the mood for McDonalds, but you usually feel unfulfilled or even a bit sick afterwards. And after the 3rd time eating the same thing at McDonalds, you really start to feel bad (I'm looking at you, Shrek 3).
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2008

Well dreamworks also does movies.

i liked madagascar and part 2 looks good...My son always runs around the house saying (i like to move it move it) lol i always get a kick out of that,
We also like to watch Antz alot.

kung fu panda....shrek 1 and 2...not 3...
shark tale was ok.
I did like bee movie somewhat too.

But cars, finding nemo and incredibles blow all that away.

Movies my son has in rotation

cars
ice age 2
antz
madagascar

Pretty much those 4 over and over until i hide them and he has to pick something different.
Living the BLU Life
Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #5

Jun 2008

Cars, Ratatouille, & Meet the Robinsons

Some of the best Blu-Rays if not theee best out.
Life is Good

PSN ID Tsmith13
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith13 View Post
Cars, Ratatouille, & Meet the Robinsons

Some of the best Blu-Rays if not theee best out.
Meet the robinsons is Disney not Pixar, but still an awesome movie
The Dark Knight has Spoken!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
Story, plot and people. Period. While I enjoy that bit of edgy "adult" material Dreamworks uses, Pixar just tells a better story.
You know, piss, dick, and fart jokes aren't really "adult" or "edgy" -- more like late 3rd grade to middle school.

Quote:
CGI wise, they both do a great job.
Pixar *buries* Dreamworks when it comes to character animation, with possible exceptions of Madagascar and Over the Hedge, both of which featured some wonderful work.

Quote:
I believe Pixar just has a soul.
I call that "sincerity". That's the distinction. DreamWorks is like a 15 year old trying to act more grown up than he is, so emotion and sincerity is viewed as borderline anathema...PIXAR is like a college graduate who could care less about trying to look cool to the tweener and high school crowd -- they make films from the heart, and they connect.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Banned

Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to alexakajeff

Pixar is best with animation. Nobody can top Pixar.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 AM   #9

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexakajeff View Post
Pixar is best with animation. Nobody can top Pixar.
Yeah, the animation just comes naturally to them. As for plot, they themselves say at Pixar "Story is king" and I'm so glad they get that. Any movie can be great visually but it takes something truly special to make a great plot with characters that are so full of life.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #10

Dec 2007

You know, I was actually thinking about this recently. I'll agree that Pixar is without a doubt on the top of the animation mountain. And they always say that at Pixar, "story is key". And it's gotten to the point where in terms of what their weakest films are, it's all subjective and comes down to personal taste. While everyone is big on THE INCREDIBLES and WALL-E, I personally think FINDING NEMO is their best work, hands down, no substitutions.

But the thing with Pixar is that genius is always the order of the day. And for me, personally, it's starting to get a bit predictable. While everyone liked WALL-E, I found it to be average. I really didn't need all the group of robots as Wall-E's entourage. And the "biting satire" of the story is something I've seen before. I kinda had the same problem with THE INCREDIBLES, in that it was basically a G-Rated version of WATCHMEN. Plus, in comparison to PERSEPOLIS, it's "ballsiness" seemed quaint in comparison. But luckily, I get the sense that even the Pixar people themselves seem to sense this, and of the various projects announced and their plans, I really would like for them to do something new. I'd love to see them do a 2D animated film. I'd like to see them do JOHN CARTER OF MARS or a live action film.

Now with Dreamworks, they're hit and miss. More misses than actual hits. But when they do hit, they hit hard and make something truly memorable. I was more impressed with KUNG FU PANDA then I was of WALL-E this summer, maybe because my expectations were lower. I think we were all expecting another SHARK TALE, but they had a film with a real story, the celebrity voices actually gave the characters identity and depth, as opposed to just "guess the voice", the action sequences were amazing, and the humor was based in character and story and not pop culture gags. I think it was their most accomplished work since the first SHREK, which even after the third film, still has power. Just think of the montage that uses Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" so perfectly.

Last edited by reginaroadie; 09-26-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #11
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Pixar makes movies with LOVE. It's true.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #12

May 2008
Madison, WI.

I'm 38 and I LOVE TOONS. yes pixar is the best of all. they have the best storys of all. I cant think of one movie I dont like by pixar. now disney CGI is the worset of all THE WILD was horrible I dont have it. but some times I want somthing bad. I mean adult humor funny bad. I did not like shrek 2 it was to soft and slow. I liked shrek 1 for the adult humor. I have a total of 22 animated movies out of my 51 Blu-rays the reast are mostly SCI-FI.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
YAMAHA preformance series speakers & 2 YAMAHA subs, 2 Infinity subs
YAMAHA 7.2 RX-V663--------------------SAMSUNG 46" LCD LN46A650
DENON HDMI 1080p dvd------------------Panasonic dvd-hdd recorder
SONY Blu-ray player----------------------OPTIMUS 100 disc changer
DIRECTV HD-DVR box--------------------PS3 60GB NOV. 17, 2006
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #13

May 2007
Adelaide Australia

Why is Pixar so much better than Dreamworks at CGI?

Maybe because of 10 years head start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

Cheers
Sony KDL46X3100
PS3 - 60 GB
73 + Blu-ray movies
9 PS3 Games
PSNID: dinoslino
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Toronto, ON

Two words describe Pixar:

Story first.

PSN: Verbose
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #15
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Toronto, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaroadie View Post
You know, I was actually thinking about this recently. I'll agree that Pixar is without a doubt on the top of the animation mountain. And they always say that at Pixar, "story is key". And it's gotten to the point where in terms of what their weakest films are, it's all subjective and comes down to personal taste. While everyone is big on THE INCREDIBLES and WALL-E, I personally think FINDING NEMO is their best work, hands down, no substitutions.

But the thing with Pixar is that genius is always the order of the day. And for me, personally, it's starting to get a bit predictable. While everyone liked WALL-E, I found it to be average. I really didn't need all the group of robots as Wall-E's entourage. And the "biting satire" of the story is something I've seen before. I kinda had the same problem with THE INCREDIBLES, in that it was basically a G-Rated version of WATCHMEN. Plus, in comparison to PERSEPOLIS, it's "ballsiness" seemed quaint in comparison. But luckily, I get the sense that even the Pixar people themselves seem to sense this, and of the various projects announced and their plans, I really would like for them to do something new. I'd love to see them do a 2D animated film. I'd like to see them do JOHN CARTER OF MARS or a live action film.

Now with Dreamworks, they're hit and miss. More misses than actual hits. But when they do hit, they hit hard and make something truly memorable. I was more impressed with KUNG FU PANDA then I was of WALL-E this summer, maybe because my expectations were lower. I think we were all expecting another SHARK TALE, but they had a film with a real story, the celebrity voices actually gave the characters identity and depth, as opposed to just "guess the voice", the action sequences were amazing, and the humor was based in character and story and not pop culture gags. I think it was their most accomplished work since the first SHREK, which even after the third film, still has power. Just think of the montage that uses Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" so perfectly.
I do love how, in this post, you scorn Pixar for doing things with WALL-E that you've "seen before", and yet the decidedly derivative Kung Fu Panda gets a pass in that respect.

I found Kung Fu Panda to be entertaining, but ultimately it was nothing more than a toned-down version of Kung Fu Hustle with a fat panda in the lead role.

WALL-E, on the other hand, was entertaining, intelligent, timely and extremely moving.

Last edited by Verbal; 09-26-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #16

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaroadie View Post

Totally agree with you. Wall-E was meh. Not one of their best.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #17

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
Two words describe Pixar:

Story first.
Some of their animated movies are great but sometimes they get too cocky. Met one of their lead animators and all he did was brag about how great Pixar was compared to the other studios. He also criticized a lot of the other studios too. I think Pixar is pretty good right now but Dreamworks and Disney are catching up pretty quick.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Toronto, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS4Ever View Post
Totally agree with you. Wall-E was meh. Not one of their best.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I thought it important to point out how strongly the critical consensus (and that of the moviegoing public) disagrees with you...this film has scored an 8.7/10 on the IMDb (30th on their Top 250 list) and is the top-reviewed major motion picture of 2008 on Rotten Tomatoes.

The IMDb rating alone shows the public feels it is by far Pixar's best film ever...their next-highest-rated film is Ratatouille, with an 8.1/10 and a rank of 142nd on the Top 250.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Toronto, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS4Ever View Post
Some of their animated movies are great but sometimes they get too cocky. Met one of their lead animators and all he did was brag about how great Pixar was compared to the other studios. He also criticized a lot of the other studios too. I think Pixar is pretty good right now but Dreamworks and Disney are catching up pretty quick.
Ummm...Pixar is Disney.

In fact, Pixar is essentially running Disney, with John Lasseter (one of Pixar's founders) having been named Chief Operating Officer of both Disney and Pixar in early 2006. Lasseter has been instrumental in reviving Disney's 2-D animation studios.

As for Dreamworks Animation, as long as they keep putting out garbage like Shrek the Third, they're not fit to clean Pixar's toilets. It's a shame too, because the first Shrek was actually quite good.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Special Member

Jul 2007
An Island in the Adriatic

Well, there's a reason why Pixar is running Disney NOW, isn't it?

...and why Jeffrey Katzenberg isn't, by the same token. It's all actually quite amusing.
Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, warps, jitter, and flicker were manually removed by copying and pasting this text into each of our booklets.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies