Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.69
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
The Paul Naschy Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #421
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Yep and the better picture and sound I own the sphere set as well.
How is the quality?
Listen, do you smell something?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #422
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Bay Area, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
No announcements yet

Last I checked, Anchor Bay had the license for 1,3 and 4 in the US and all 4 in the UK.
This is crazy, the original needs to be released on Blu
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #423
Power Member

Nov 2008
Detroit, MI

Do a set! Man I would buy this if the transfers were decent. This would be at least a good $50/set purchase nice moneymaker for AB.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Sony PS3 & Roku3 | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #424
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc480 View Post
Do a set! Man I would buy this if the transfers were decent. This would be at least a good $50/set purchase nice moneymaker for AB.
AB doesn't have the rights Don has them, hoping they announce a boxset from Scream Factory with the new movie included.
LG OLED C6
Onkyo 757 Atmos
Oppo 203-Region Free
Thanks given by:
hYPE (06-06-2016)
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #425
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
AB doesn't have the rights Don has them
Technically, I, III, IV, and V. II is owned by Universal (though Don does own international rights).
Old 05-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #426

Jul 2011

Does Anyone Know what the exact reason is Phantasm I is not on Blu Ray yet? I mean anyone who lives in the real world MUST know that this is in popular demand, Im just dying to know why it isnt
Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #427
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Have anyone ordered this from Best Buy or Amazon recently and received it with the Slip?
Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #428

Jun 2016
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Have anyone ordered this from Best Buy or Amazon recently and received it with the Slip?
could be possible.. did you get a lead or something? There are 2 newly stocked copies at a local B&M near me that are shrinkwrapped with slips. been meaning to go buy and pick one up.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #429
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B Gone View Post
could be possible.. did you get a lead or something? There are 2 newly stocked copies at a local B&M near me that are shrinkwrapped with slips. been meaning to go buy and pick one up.
I'll have the check my local B&N. Maybe i'll get lucky. Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #430
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo13 View Post
Does Anyone Know what the exact reason is Phantasm I is not on Blu Ray yet? I mean anyone who lives in the real world MUST know that this is in popular demand, Im just dying to know why it isnt
Phantasm Remaster is out now, it turns out!

https://www.amazon.com/Phantasm-Rema...dp/B01LXWKDJW/
-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Last edited by eastx; 12-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #431
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

What? It came out on Blu-ray 3 days ago.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #432
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
What? It came out on Blu-ray 3 days ago.
Thanks; I had forgotten the release date.
-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #433

Sep 2015
USA
Default Love this film.

I think Phantasm II is the best entry of the series. It has great camerawork (inspired by Sam Raimi most obviously), elegant pacing, some nice humor, great practical effects, beefed up action and a very healthy look on blu ray. The review complains about telecine wobble on the Universal logo. So what? Wobble is awesome, get over it, sheesh. This movie seems like it gets a lot of flack from the LeGros casting and this and that, but the reality to me is that part 2 seems like it hit the stride of the series and nailed every aspect perfectly. What a treat on blu ray, too! If there was some DNR applied, it was very tastefully done. It looked like a pristine print to my eyes, even though I'm sure it wasn't. The Universal budget seemed a lot more endowed than reported. I guessed at least 10 mil, but I guess closer to 3, which is testament to Coscarelli's frugal talents. Seeing part 2 again, I found myself laughing and really, really enjoying it this time around. Looking forward to giving part III another shot, since it was originally prepped as a theatrical film.
WISH LIST:Spring Forward, Lone Star, Stakeout, Tin Men, Split, Hangin' with the Homeboys, Just one of the Guys, Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny, The Station Agent, Lisbon Story, Box of Moonlight, Summer School, Hunter's Blood, White Hunter Black Heart, Critters, The Hidden, Maximum Overdrive (Collector Edition), What Happened Was..., Split (1989 - Dir Chris Shaw), Seedpeople.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #434

Sep 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post

Is the PHANTASM II transfer good? Hell no. Is it probably a legit, if low quality, HD source? For better or worse, yes, even if the real-world improvement over an old PAL Digibeta is basically negligible.
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. The Phantasm II blu ray from Scream is amazing looking. Very crisp. As far as "softness", that is the LENS. The lens dude. It's essentially a dream-like film, stitched together to form a hazy narrative. Stylistic choice by a very capable filmmaker. The mountainside/road movie helicopter shots are very crisp looking with a nice, warm color/contrast.

If you want razor sharp hi-def, go check out the plethora of silly superhero movies coming out on blu ray. Sometimes I think people base thier reviews off of a stupid bias, other literature, or some superficial nit pick like a little logo wobble. I mean, the transfer wasn't perfect, but factoring in the supplements and price, I really don't think this is a bad job at all. I dunno, to my eyes, I though Phantasm II was incredible looking. In fact, the first thing I blurted out while watching it was, "how can this look so good?". I immediately suspected a smoothing filter, so I got closer to my 55 inch screen. No, not over-done. If done, not detrimentally. Very tasteful amount. Grain very much intact. Maybe some darker contrast things happening. So, I guess there's a chance I may have missed seeing a cobweb in a shadow of the bed and breakfast. Oh, what to do?!
WISH LIST:Spring Forward, Lone Star, Stakeout, Tin Men, Split, Hangin' with the Homeboys, Just one of the Guys, Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny, The Station Agent, Lisbon Story, Box of Moonlight, Summer School, Hunter's Blood, White Hunter Black Heart, Critters, The Hidden, Maximum Overdrive (Collector Edition), What Happened Was..., Split (1989 - Dir Chris Shaw), Seedpeople.
Thanks given by:
aspberger (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #435

May 2016

I agree. I'm very happy with the Phantasm 2 blu ray. I think of it the same way I relate to Evil Dead 2 - kind of more of the same, just done better!

As for James Legros, well he may not be the "real" Mike, but he's probably the better actor of the two! Michael Baldwin is fine but clearly not as good as James is. From the 3rd Phantasm forward, the quality drops off quite a bit.

Phantasm would make a great videogame!
Thanks given by:
nikon76 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #436

Sep 2015
USA

Agreed. I liked LeGros' acting this time around and especially the writing which had his voice over pulling the wool over the Clinician's eyes when he's about to get released from the loony bin. Little touches like that made this movie the great film it is. I can see how it gets overlooked, Phantasm II. Between the critical collective (unqualified to review films like this), the fanatical uproar of casting choice to replace Baldwin (it's ok, but I do hope he found closure and peace) and basically being spoiled rotten by the many fine genre films of the 80's. How could you think it would ever end? Phantasm II is an art film wrapped in an actioner package with a snail's pace that deceptively runs faster than you may think. The original music score adaptation into a more orchestral realm raises the stakes. We get a golden, laser sighted ball with "cuisin-art" drilling and new infra red tromaville vision. 4 barrel sawed off shotgun, explosives, white string rigged front door blaster, a souped up Hemicuda. I mean, the list goes on. So many inventive things happening in this film. Very surreal peice of cinema. And critics dismiss it as a "full gore" failure. "Didn't make sense". Yeah, ok buddy. Tell that to Mullholland Drive, considered one of the best films of the 21st century. Figures it takes illogical criticism to point out illogic. The critics are clearly out of their league.
Thanks given by:
UncleBingo315 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #437

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon76 View Post
The Phantasm II blu ray from Scream is amazing looking.
It's not terrible, but could look a lot better. Kind of like the same PQ as Image's disc of Hellbound: Hellraiser II.

Last edited by Nicolawicz; 02-28-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #438

Sep 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
So the DVD was in HD, as well then? haha
The transfer goes to dvd and BD. Approved HD is just that. Where the HD scan goes is beyond Don. The master he viewed was approved. Thought you were an expert?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #439
Power Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

The Scream PHANTASM II blu-ray is an upscale:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=...3&l=0&i=1&go=1

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=...7&l=0&i=5&go=1

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=...0&l=0&i=8&go=1

a very good upscale, but an upscale (my friends and I recognized this when we first watched it on his 65" HDTV)

and then there is this:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a...=24521&i=9&l=0

It is also cut, as I believe the laserdisc has the cut scenes intact (? Maybe? I remember watching this years ago and the cut gore was re-inserted into the movie, such as the driller ball stuck in the guy's mouth).
Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #440
Power Member

Feb 2011

I thought the upscale rumour had been debunked? I only mention it because I was called out for repeating it a few months ago.

Either way, yes, it could look a damn sight better.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America