Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Salem's Lot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek: The Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Orphan Black: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$15.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Big Short (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Daddy's Home (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Oblivion -- Which version are you buying?
Standard BD/DVD combo pack 53 12.62%
Best Buy BD/DVD with Bonus Disc 82 19.52%
Target BD/DVD with alternate slipcover and booklet 104 24.76%
Walmart BD/DVD with metal case 160 38.10%
Non-USA version 46 10.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #1901
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Nope, sadly. I saw it at Universal Citywalk in true IMAX, I'd kill to have that version on BD. There was a HUGE amount of picture lost on top and bottom for the conventional release. The opening scenes in the skytower, especially the crane shot just before the title, were jaw dropping in that format. I'd happily live with pillarboxing bars.
I still don't get why Kosinski didn't have the BD change to 1.78:1 for the IMAX scenes like he did with TRON: Legacy.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #1902
Expert Member

Jun 2014
-
-

I was pretty excited for a moment. I LOVE this movie and its gorgeous to watch. I'd pay good money also for the uncropped IMAX edition!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #1903
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I still don't get why Kosinski didn't have the BD change to 1.78:1 for the IMAX scenes like he did with TRON: Legacy.
As I remember, the whole movie was 1.78, except the flashback bit atop the Empire State Building at the beginning. It wasn't like TRON, which switched back and forth throughout from 2.35 for the dialogue scenes to 1.43 for the action scenes.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #1904
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
As I remember, the whole movie was 1.78, except the flashback bit atop the Empire State Building at the beginning. It wasn't like TRON, which switched back and forth throughout from 2.35 for the dialogue scenes to 1.43 for the action scenes.
This is correct (albeit presented at 1.90:1 for IMAX screens of course.) The black & white flashback scenes were the only scenes presented in 2.35:1.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 PM   #1905
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Soldier View Post
This is correct (albeit presented at 1.90:1 for IMAX screens of course.) The black & white flashback scenes were the only scenes presented in 2.35:1.
Which part are you referring to as being 1.90? I saw Oblivion at Universal Citywalk in true IMAX, and I'm pretty sure the majority of the movie was at least 1.78, if not 1.43.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 AM   #1906
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
Which part are you referring to as being 1.90? I saw Oblivion at Universal Citywalk in true IMAX, and I'm pretty sure the majority of the movie was at least 1.78, if not 1.43.
The IMAX version was finished at the IMAX digital ratio (technically 1.89:1.)
Old 09-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #1907
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Soldier View Post
The IMAX version was finished at the IMAX digital ratio (technically 1.89:1.)
Wow, I guess you're right:

https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/M...vion/page3.php

funny, I could have sworn it filled more of the CityWalk screen than that.

I'm pretty sure that for other films, they've had the wide release multiplex IMAX versions at that and the true 70mm IMAX versions at 1.43, I think TRON: LEGACY was like that, and some Christopher Nolan films, right?

Last edited by James Luckard; 09-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:49 AM   #1908
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that for other films, they've had the wide release multiplex IMAX versions at that and the true 70mm IMAX versions at 1.43, I think TRON: LEGACY was like that, and some Christopher Nolan films, right?
The Nolan films were presented in 1.44:1 (select scenes) and show in 70mm IMAX. Tron Legacy was presented in 1.78:1 on 70mm IMAX screens and 1.89:1 in digital IMAX.
Thanks given by:
HD Goofnut (09-12-2015)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #1909

Feb 2015
Orlando, FL, U.S.A. (Working in Kuwait)

I was wondering if anyone out there has the Blu-ray only release of Oblivion from last year, shown here...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oblivi...6706/#Overview

It states it comes with a slipcover, but I have checked out ebay, and the only versions that have a slip is the Blu/DVD combos from its initial release, and the Target exclusive.

I want to go ahead and get this, but if it came with a slip like this site says, I need to find one with it. As much as I don't like slipcovers, if a release comes with one, I have to have it. And I am not interested in Blu/DVD combos, which I wish they would stop making.

Anyway, if this release didn't come with a slip, I'll change the specs to reflect that.
CONTENT(Original theatrical cut, plus any alternate cuts/deleted scenes) > SteelBooks > MetalBoxes > MetalPaks > Amarays > DigiBooks > DigiPaks > Any packaging w/slipcovers:)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #1910
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there has the Blu-ray only release of Oblivion from last year, shown here...

It states it comes with a slipcover, but I have checked out ebay, and the only versions that have a slip is the Blu/DVD combos from its initial release, and the Target exclusive.

I want to go ahead and get this, but if it came with a slip like this site says, I need to find one with it. As much as I don't like slipcovers, if a release comes with one, I have to have it. And I am not interested in Blu/DVD combos, which I wish they would stop making.

Anyway, if this release didn't come with a slip, I'll change the specs to reflect that.
Get the 4K version, it comes with a slipcover and there is no DVD in that.
Warcraft Bonus Disc from Best Buy 4K Combo: $10 Shipped. PM Me!

==>> Dreamliner330ís Blu-ray and slipcover sale extravaganza! Accepting offers!!
Old 08-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #1911
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:

I think your best bet would be to follow the site link to Amazon and purchase a new copy or two--maybe one from a boutique third party (Marketplace) seller who responds to a pre-purchase e-mail inquiry about the presence of a slip and one direct from Amazon. IF the release does indeed have a slip AND there was no reissue with the same UPC without it AND Amazon and/or the third party seller have listed sales inventory using the UPC, you should get a copy/copies with the slip. If you don't, Amazon's return policy is fairly liberal and you'll also be able to return something (or file an A-to-z Claim if they balk) to a Marketplace seller if they then send you a non-slip copy after saying their copy(ies) has/have a slip in response to your pre-purchase e-mail.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #1912

Dec 2010
-

Quote:

http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/Se...livion&Submit=

slip can be bought here
Old 08-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #1913

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Get the 4K version, it comes with a slipcover and there is no DVD in that.
Well, not interested in getting into 4K anytime soon, if at all. Besides, it would be a 4K/ Blu combo...and I just don't like combos, be it Blu/DVD or these 4K/Blu ones, as I would have a disc I would never use. My little quirk I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I think your best bet would be to follow the site link to Amazon and purchase a new copy or two--maybe one from a boutique third party (Marketplace) seller who responds to a pre-purchase e-mail inquiry about the presence of a slip and one direct from Amazon. IF the release does indeed have a slip AND there was no reissue with the same UPC without it AND Amazon and/or the third party seller have listed sales inventory using the UPC, you should get a copy/copies with the slip. If you don't, Amazon's return policy is fairly liberal and you'll also be able to return something (or file an A-to-z Claim if they balk) to a Marketplace seller if they then send you a non-slip copy after saying their copy(ies) has/have a slip in response to your pre-purchase e-mail.
I'll have to look into that, but I am really just trying to verify that this Blu-ray only release from last year actually came with a slip like this site says, as I think that maybe it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1010 View Post
Actually, it doesn't show one for this Blu-ray only release...but thanks for that link anyway
CONTENT(Original theatrical cut, plus any alternate cuts/deleted scenes) > SteelBooks > MetalBoxes > MetalPaks > Amarays > DigiBooks > DigiPaks > Any packaging w/slipcovers:)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #1914
Special Member

Oct 2012
NC

Quote:

From what I know the Blu-ray+Digital edition never came with a slipcover. Only the combo pack and the 4K release have slipcovers. Stop being picky on combo packs. haha
Thanks given by:
HanShotFirst (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #1915

Dec 2010
-

single editions never come with slips if they also have a combo release. its been this way for years
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #1916

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmEntertainment View Post
From what I know the Blu-ray+Digital edition never came with a slipcover. Only the combo pack and the 4K release have slipcovers. Stop being picky on combo packs. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1010 View Post
single editions never come with slips if they also have a combo release. its been this way for years

Thanks for that info...I'll update the specs on this site for this release. Yeah, I just don't like/buy combo packs
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #1917
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

No offense but you have some weird OCD going on bro.
Thanks given by:
HanShotFirst (08-22-2016), m3racer123 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #1918

Jun 2013

Quote:

Just took delivery of that edition from Amazon a few days ago; no slip on my copy.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #1919

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
No offense but you have some weird OCD going on bro.
Oh yeah, I know

Let's see...I alphabetize all my titles, mixing Blu and DVDs...don't like them separated, nor should they be. I have a huge DVD collection before getting into Blu's, and have no desire to replace my DVDs with Blu...did that once going from VHS to DVD, not going through all of that again

I don't buy/like Blu/DVD combos...ever since switching to Blu, Blu only purchases. Seems a waste to have an extra disc I'll never use, and I couldn't give the extra disc away to anyone, as the original packaging would be missing something.

I don't necessarily dislike slipcovers, but it is always a pain in the ass to find one that isn't dented, or torn, or punctured, or scratched on, etc...especially on the spine. I just prefer that a release doesn't come with one...but if it does, have to have it...original packaging and such

I never purchase an initial release of a title, especially if it is a director's/ extended cut not including the original theatrical cut, always waiting a few years to see if the next release will have deleted scenes not released previously...though this was more prevalent in DVD days.

I suppose that's about it...don't mean to get too much off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
Just took delivery of that edition from Amazon a few days ago; no slip on my copy.
I've updated the specs for this Blu only release to show no slipcover...
Old 08-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #1920
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Watched this again earlier, I wasn't impressed with the movie first time out but second time around I absolutely loved it. The Blu-ray is astonishingly good too, it almost looks like a large format at movie at times thanks to that shallow depth of field used on the close-ups.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America