Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Ben-Hur (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Lair of the White Worm (Blu-ray)
$24.99
King Kong (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mildred Pierce (Blu-ray)
$26.19
Parents (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$34.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #341
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

I got this on Cyber Monday at Target.com for $25.50, which is quite a nice price for this set.

Anyway, I just opened it (finally) and the disc for North By Northwest disc has actual disc artwork, whereas the rest are the plain black discs (which is what I know they are supposed to be). It looks like the North By Northwest one might be the disc artwork from the Masterpiece Collection, which is weird. I guess they're just throwing leftover discs in here. Doesn't help my weird OCD I have about these things... Haha. Plus, the disc holder is kinda beat up, though I wasn't really able to notice it before I opened it....

But I suppose I can't complain given the price.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 AM   #342

Feb 2012

The only Hitchcock Blu-ray I own is Rear Window, and want to get some more to add to my collection. Is there any benefit to buying this set over buying them individually, or vice versa? Any added features, new transfers, etc.

Was considering maybe returning Rear Window while I still can and just buying this set
Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #343

Nov 2009
St. Louis, MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
The only Hitchcock Blu-ray I own is Rear Window, and want to get some more to add to my collection. Is there any benefit to buying this set over buying them individually, or vice versa? Any added features, new transfers, etc.

Was considering maybe returning Rear Window while I still can and just buying this set
I also bought this set first before the movies were individually released. Then I decided to sell the set off due to wanting the movies in their individual cases with the artwork. I love Hitchcock movies, so that's why I had to have them as single Blu-rays.

To answer your question, there are no added features or any new transfers between this set and the titles as released individually.

This is definitely a great set. It kinda depends on how you prefer your Blu packaging: one giant set or each movie in its own case with artwork. If money is an issue, probably cheaper to buy this set. If not, personally I would go with the movie singles.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #344
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Vermont / Steelbook™ - 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
I got this on Cyber Monday at Target.com for $25.50, which is quite a nice price for this set.

Anyway, I just opened it (finally) and the disc for North By Northwest disc has actual disc artwork, whereas the rest are the plain black discs (which is what I know they are supposed to be). It looks like the North By Northwest one might be the disc artwork from the Masterpiece Collection, which is weird. I guess they're just throwing leftover discs in here. Doesn't help my weird OCD I have about these things... Haha. Plus, the disc holder is kinda beat up, though I wasn't really able to notice it before I opened it....

But I suppose I can't complain given the price.
This is strange. The set i have has black art on all 5 discs. I have the jp ultimate collection and the NBN disc has the picture art though and the Psycho disc appears to be the UK 50th disc.
Blufans V.I.P.

RIP Glenn Frey, thank you for the incredible music!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #345

Apr 2014

the price right now is 41 dollars. Anyone know if it has ever dropped any lower or if that is the lowest it has been
Old 09-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #346

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
the price right now is 41 dollars. Anyone know if it has ever dropped any lower or if that is the lowest it has been
If you click the magnifying glass with the plus sign on the details page, it will show you the price history. Looks like the cheapest has been $32.99.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #347
Power Member

Jan 2011
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellismc View Post
If you click the magnifying glass with the plus sign on the details page, it will show you the price history. Looks like the cheapest has been $32.99.
The "Essentials" was ~ $25 in late Nov. of 2015, and it may have dipped even a little below that in past years.

The best route is to buy the "Masterpiece" collection from the UK. It's currently about $48, but during the holidays it's always on sale. I got mine a few years back for less than $30.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #348
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
The "Essentials" was ~ $25 in late Nov. of 2015, and it may have dipped even a little below that in past years.

The best route is to buy the "Masterpiece" collection from the UK. It's currently about $48, but during the holidays it's always on sale. I got mine a few years back for less than $30.
Yep, Amazon.co.uk had it for £20 for a while last week, it was along the top of the page in the "Best Blu-Ray Movie Deals" sale items here.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #349

Mar 2010

One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the UK edition. Not sure about ALL the discs but at the very least, the UK version of Vertigo doesn't contain the original mono soundtrack but the US version does.
Incidentally, I mention it only in passing. I could always tell the judge it was a matter of confession...
Old 09-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #350
Special Member

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Yep, Amazon.co.uk had it for £20 for a while last week, it was along the top of the page in the "Best Blu-Ray Movie Deals" sale items here.
I keep meaning to pick it up. I have the Essential Collection and the select Universal titles I can't do without, but at a price like that, I could just keep my US Vertigo and North By Northwest discs and be all set with Hitchcock what with the Criterion and MGM titles...
Old 09-02-2016, 03:20 AM   #351
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo2010 View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the UK edition. Not sure about ALL the discs but at the very least, the UK version of Vertigo doesn't contain the original mono soundtrack but the US version does.
It's just for that title. Also, the version of NxNW in the boxsets in both the US and UK drops the isolated score audio track that the standalone disc has, so completists will want to keep that disc.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #352
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
Yeah, and the opposite is the true in the case of Psycho.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #353
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Yeah, and the opposite is the true in the case of Psycho.
Not entirely. The US BD of Psycho at least has the mono track, it's just not lossless like it is on the UK disc. The UK disc of Vertigo drops the mono track entirely.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #354

Oct 2012
Seattle, washington

So only those five? Naw, I'll go get that megaset with the 15 (or so) movies that goes for about 150 bucks.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #355
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
So only those five? Naw, I'll go get that megaset with the 15 (or so) movies that goes for about 150 bucks.
You can get basically that same set for a fraction of the cost from the UK. Only the Psycho and Vertigo discs are slightly different, as we were discussing above. It was under $30 recently.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #356

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
It's just for that title. Also, the version of NxNW in the boxsets in both the US and UK drops the isolated score audio track that the standalone disc has, so completists will want to keep that disc.
No original mono on Vertigo is big deal for me. Weirdly, the others I can live with whatever soundtrack options they have but hearing the Vertigo soundtrack with the alternate foley work, created by Robert A Harris and James C Katz for the 1996 just makes me cringe (I switched off right after the gunshots in the opening scene). Now this is not to disparage the always exemplary work by Harris/Katz because, without their efforts, we wouldn't have had the opportunity of seeing so many great movies saved, restored and made available in theaters again. It's just a personal preference. But, my weirdness aside, the UK set is a cracking deal for the price.
Incidentally, I mention it only in passing. I could always tell the judge it was a matter of confession...
Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #357
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
No original mono on Vertigo is big deal for me. Weirdly, the others I can live with whatever soundtrack options they have but hearing the Vertigo soundtrack with the alternate foley work, created by Robert A Harris and James C Katz for the 1996 just makes me cringe (I switched off right after the gunshots in the opening scene). Now this is not to disparage the always exemplary work by Harris/Katz because, without their efforts, we wouldn't have had the opportunity of seeing so many great movies saved, restored and made available in theaters again. It's just a personal preference. But, my weirdness aside, the UK set is a cracking deal for the price.
Does the UK release of Vertigo have the 1996 remix? Because the 5.1 on the US Blu-ray is actually a reworked version of it that restores many of the original sound effects. It's much more faithful to the original.

Incidentally, from what I've read, Harris and Katz actually fought against a lot of the more aggressive new foley in '96, but were overruled.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:15 AM   #358

Mar 2011

The 5.1 on the US disc is almost perfect. Literally the only effect that seemed off was the sound of waves crashing for a few seconds in one scene. It was right when a music cue was playing, so it might have just been unavoidable.

I'm very impressed considering I found the old 5.1 track distracting enough to stick to the scratchy mono track on the Masterpiece Collection DVD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America