Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Rush (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Lost World (Blu-ray)
$15.26
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey 6 View Post
Post #75 above gives a good way of checking this.
Whoops. Don't know how I missed that.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #82

Sep 2017

Apologies for opening this up again, but can anyone tell me if the Australian release of this (with both films but on separate disks) might have the problem audio?

It was released in 2012 so I assume not.. but can anyone confirm?

Thanks..
Old 01-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #83
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunyboy View Post
Apologies for opening this up again, but can anyone tell me if the Australian release of this (with both films but on separate disks) might have the problem audio?

It was released in 2012 so I assume not.. but can anyone confirm?

Thanks..
No clue, but I see you mentioned in another thread that you're buying a used BD and the seller said "On the main (Default) English Audio track while Ford is sneaking through the skylight you can hear the two spies and Michelle speaking French, but as Ford lowers himself onto the toilet, they all start to speak English from then onwards."

I could have sworn that scene was 100% in English in the corrected version, but perhaps a word or two were in French at the very beginning.

I'll check my corrected disc when I get home tonight.

It's such a shame that this error exists, and that the reissue was released with the exact same packaging and ISBN number, making it massively difficult to tell them apart.

I keep hoping Criterion will rescue this forgotten Polanski gem from oblivion and do a proper release, with a nice new scan of the film too.
Thanks given by:
bunyboy (01-29-2018), Scarriere (01-28-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 AM   #84
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I just checked my corrected disc and you're right, there are about 3-4 lines in French from the one spy (dubbed by Polanski himself, I'm fairly sure), in French, as Ford is crawling through the skylight. Then the other spy, who has also said a few lines in English, says "Keep it in English, and cut the good cop/bad cop shi#." The rest of the scene then plays out offscreen 100% in English as Ford hides in the bathroom, figuring out what to do.
Thanks given by:
bunyboy (01-29-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #85
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

I just watched this (Frantic) a few weeks ago. My second favorite Ford film behind The Mosquito Coast. Wish both of these would get the deluxe treatment from someone.
YouTube Channel-Weirded Wonder

Would love a listen.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 AM   #86
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

Like Harrison Ford / I'm getting Frantic...
"First, ye rubs somethin' furry t'builds up a charge...then ye picks yer target...!"

Selling U.S. Blu digital copies of Boardwalk Empire (complete series) in UV and iTunes flavors for $23.50 a pop. (no trades)
Thanks given by:
BuckNaked2k (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #87
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirded Wonder View Post
I just watched this (Frantic) a few weeks ago. My second favorite Ford film behind The Mosquito Coast. Wish both of these would get the deluxe treatment from someone.
Sadly they both came in the brief period after Witness when he was making fascinating films with auteurs in the 80s, and when they both flopped, he seemed to retreat to blockbusters again.

I just hope Warner Archive gives us even a barebones BD of Mosquito Coast eventually, along with The Year of Living Dangerously. Peter Weir was one of the most celebrated directors of the 80s, but his films don't seem to get the love they deserve anymore, partly, I suspect, because he seems to be retired, so he isn't so visible or heavily promoted, the way other directors are.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #88
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Sadly they both came in the brief period after Witness when he was making fascinating films with auteurs in the 80s, and when they both flopped, he seemed to retreat to blockbusters again.

I just hope Warner Archive gives us even a barebones BD of Mosquito Coast eventually, along with The Year of Living Dangerously. Peter Weir was one of the most celebrated directors of the 80s, but his films don't seem to get the love they deserve anymore, partly, I suspect, because he seems to be retired, so he isn't so visible or heavily promoted, the way other directors are.
Brief period? He made 2 movies. It's not like there were a half dozen of them. I'd even include Witness in that auteurs (especially considering the same man directed both that and MC). And Working Girl was his next film after that "brief period."
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #89
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Brief period? He made 2 movies. It's not like there were a half dozen of them. I'd even include Witness in that auteurs (especially considering the same man directed both that and MC). And Working Girl was his next film after that "brief period."
That's exactly what I mean, those three films over 4 years. They're a really unique detour in his career.

I don't mean to knock Working Girl by not including it though, Mike Nichols is obviously a genius too and I think the film is totally brilliant, with one of the few genuinely perfect, flawless screenplays. It's my favorite ever American romantic comedy and one of the most insightful views of the workplace and sexism in the workplace, even today. And it was hugely gutsy of him to take a supporting role in that film when he was the biggest movie star in the world. It was a crime that he was the only major cast member not nominated for an Oscar, it's one of his best performances.

Last edited by James Luckard; 01-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #90

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
I just checked my corrected disc and you're right, there are about 3-4 lines in French from the one spy (dubbed by Polanski himself, I'm fairly sure), in French, as Ford is crawling through the skylight. Then the other spy, who has also said a few lines in English, says "Keep it in English, and cut the good cop/bad cop shi#." The rest of the scene then plays out offscreen 100% in English as Ford hides in the bathroom, figuring out what to do.
Thanks for checking. I'll go ahead and grab this one then. I'd love to see a Criterion remaster, fingers crossed that happens soon.. quite possibly a few days after I buy this!
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (01-31-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America