Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Florence Foster Jenkins (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #1361

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Yeah, no. I gave two examples with Kino and Shout, who always include the previous DVD extras and yes, the trailers. Olive is too cheap to pay for them, yet they charge the same prices as Kino and Shout discs.

Even if you just say "yeah, no," that doesn't change the distinction between Kino and Shout re-releasing movies they have already released and Olive getting newly licensed material which you are ignoring in your blanket statements. If you limit your comparison to Kino and Shout titles which are newly licensed and previously released by other distributors vs. Olive titles which are newly licensed and previously released by other distributors, the numbers will then be accurate for comparison sake. So if you want to prove your point, get on it. Otherwise, I will continue to say that you are wrong.

Quote:
If they feel they won't make the money back by including the trailers or extras, then they should sell their discs at budget prices, since that is what they are offering. They should be next to the Mill Creek and Echo Bridge discs in the $5 bin at Walmart.
I don't think you have even a basic understanding of how retail works if you honestly think that the movies that Olive sells (edited to acknowledge that yes, this is a generalization) would ever wind up being sold in a Wal-Mart, let alone in the budget rack.

Last edited by thatguamguy; 07-13-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #1362
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
I'm sorry, mate. None of that extra junk matters if they F'd up the transfer AND the audio. That has to be job one on this kind of thing.
Exactly.
Don't forget, that one user called them out on it and was lied to. A few times.
Only after proof was shown by the other user did shout change their story.
"The bullet of Justice caps Evil's ass! Remember that!" - Good Excel
"Wow, Justice plays dirty!" - Excel
Old 07-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #1363
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
Even if you just say "yeah, no," that doesn't change the distinction between Kino and Shout re-releasing movies they have already released and Olive getting newly licensed material which you are ignoring in your blanket statements. If you limit your comparison to Kino and Shout titles which are newly licensed and previously released by other distributors vs. Olive titles which are newly licensed and previously released by other distributors, the numbers will then be accurate for comparison sake. So if you want to prove your point, get on it. Otherwise, I will continue to say that you are wrong.
What movies are you talking about that, that Shout and Kino have re-released that have already been released? Are you talking about the handful of titles they released on DVD and then Blu? Or are you talking about the titles like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Escape from NY, or Return of the Living Dead that includes all the previous extras plus the new ones. Not sure what that has to do with anything!?

As for your the second part of your argument, again I'm a little confused what you are talking about?

99% of Shout and Kino titles new to Blu carry over the previous DVD extras, including yes, the trailers.
99% of Shout and Kino titles that had previous Blu-rays carry over the previous Blu-ray extras, plus add new ones.

90% of Olive titles new to Blu don't carry over the previous DVD extras, 99% if you include trailers.
100% of Olive titles that had previous Blu-ray don't carry over the previous Blu-ray extras.

If I'm wrong on this, please show me an example, let alone several examples where I'm wrong.

I have given several examples of Olive titles that didn't port over the previous extras, and if we are counting trailers, well there's many more. And this was only looking at the titles I was intersted in. There are hundreds more looking at their whole catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I don't think you have even a basic understanding of how retail works if you honestly think that the movies that Olive sells (edited to acknowledge that yes, this is a generalization) would ever wind up being sold in a Wal-Mart, let alone in the budget rack.
Well considering you can find Echo Bridge and Mill Creek titles in Walmart, are you saying Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold, Class, Mannequin 1+2, Breaker Breaker, Coffy, Foxy Brown, Meteor Man, etc. are any different than the titles released from Mill Creek or Echo Bridge that can be found in the cheap bins. Are these films of a higher caliber than When a Stranger Calls, One Good Cop, Another Stakeout, Scenes from a Mall, New York Stories, etc.?

Maybe their film noirs may be of a higher caliber, but they release a lot of genre films and lowbrow comedies as well that would easily fit into a Walmart dump bin if they were priced accordingly.

Last edited by spawningblue; 07-13-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #1364
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
I'm sorry, mate. None of that extra junk matters if they F'd up the transfer AND the audio. That has to be job one on this kind of thing.
Fair enough, but again, just from reading opinions in the thread as I don't own the disc, it still sounds as if it is the best way to watch the film at the moment. The extras are are just to prove that that they weren't completely lazy or cheap with the release, or else they would have just threw it into the market barebones, like what Olive does 99% of the time. I'm not saying it's a perfect release by any means, or that Shout or Scream are perfect, but they put a hell of a lot more effort into their releases than Olive does.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Olive does their own transfers, so they just use what are given like Kino or Shout/Scream (Who has started to do their own scans), but they almost always include the original artwork and previous DVD extras, as well as usually new ones, where as Olive almsot never includes the previous DVD extras including the trailers, almsot never creates new ones, and only occasionally use the original artwork.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #1365
Special Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't believe Olive does their own transfers, so they just use what are given like Kino or Shout/Scream (Who has started to do their own scans), but they almost always include the original artwork and previous DVD extras, as well as usually new ones, where as Olive almsot never includes the previous DVD extras including the trailers, almsot never creates new ones, and only occasionally use the original artwork.
I believe you to be correct on the first part and we pretty much agree on the second. Shout obviously cares about what they release and how. That doesn't excuse them for what they screw up, but it makes a difference to me in how I see them among their peers. And I'm not even saying Olive doesn't care. I can't read their minds. Their product, for what they charge, and compared to similarly tiered companies however, is demonstrably the worst.
Thanks given by:
spawningblue (07-13-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:50 AM   #1366

Jun 2016
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Apparently in stores here in Canada, still see Paramount DVDs hat still have WHV labels, does that say anything?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 AM   #1367
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountChris View Post
Apparently in stores here in Canada, still see Paramount DVDs hat still have WHV labels, does that say anything?
Not really. Just because the deal is purportedly over doesn't mean retailers are required to return old stock. It likely will sell through or just sit there. Ordered Changing Lanes on Amazon recently and got a copy with a WHV sticker over the UPC.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 07-15-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #1368
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Not really. Just because the deal is purportedly over doesn't mean retailers are required to return old stock. It likely will sell through or just sit there. Ordered Changing Lanes on Amazon recently and got a copy with a WHV sticker over the UPC.
Warner wouldn't have dumped a ton of Paramount catalog stuff the last year or so if they were going to go OOP immediately. Whether the deal is over or not I am sure they have a set length of availability in the contract.

Though Art of War went OOP a handful of months after it came out, so what do I know.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #1369
Expert Member

Mar 2016
You will have to find me to figure that out!

Sorry everyone, but I don't know what's happening with this deal right now. Can someone bring me, and maybe others, up to speed of what's going on?
Criterion is nice,
Arrow is too.
Mention Echo Bridge,
Well, no one will miss you.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #1370
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisKid View Post
Sorry everyone, but I don't know what's happening with this deal right now. Can someone bring me, and maybe others, up to speed of what's going on?
We don't know.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #1371

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisKid View Post
It's believed by a lot of people in the know that nothing much is going to be going on with Paramounts catalog while there is still ongoing boardroom conflict with elderly Redstone. I'd guess that it will be another year even after he is out of the picture (he's in his mid 90's now and still exerting control- or his surrogates are), before we start seeing movement on the Paramount catalog either thru them or from licensing.
The company is really just an empty shell at this point.

Reminds me a lot of the situation with MGM not too long ago. They finally got a buyer and it was a year or two, maybe more, before we started to see them license stuff out. It wasn't long after that though when the floodgates opened. Might be hard for people to remember just how little MGM catalog was actually out there up until two years ago.

I'm sure that will happen with Paramount eventually, but first the whole Redstone business has to play out with stable, on the ball management firmly in place.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-27-2016), jfcarbel (10-15-2016), ThisKid (07-15-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #1372
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
USA

Re issues of the Paramount catalog to be released on : 01/24/2017

The Warriors caught my attention, it doesn't say Director's Cut (Most likely it is)

Quote:
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray Disc)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider / Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Blu-ray Disc)
Charlotte'S Web (Blu-ray Disc)
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray Disc)
Gambler (Blu-ray Disc)
Shooter (Blu-ray Disc)
Collateral (Blu-ray Disc)
Gladiator (Blu-ray Disc)
Ferris Bueller'S Day Off (Blu-ray Disc)
Forrest Gump (Blu-ray Disc)
Braveheart (Blu-ray Disc)
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Blu-ray Disc)
Nebraska (Blu-ray Disc)
Grease (Blu-ray Disc)
Selma (Blu-ray Disc)
Rango (Blu-ray Disc)
Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (Blu-ray Disc)
Old School (Blu-ray Disc) (Unrated)
Flight (Blu-ray Disc)
Warriors (Blu-ray Disc)
Interstellar (Blu-ray Disc)
Cloverfield (Blu-ray Disc)

Being released by...Dun, dunnnn!!!..wait for it....
[Show spoiler]
Paramount

721 STEELBOOKS™
-------------------------------
What my Blu Ray Collection looks like:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=7044
Thanks given by:
drak b (10-25-2016), gkolb (10-27-2016), jedidarrick (10-25-2016), starman15317 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1373
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015
Hawaii

I'm curious to see how AT&T will be handling all of this from now on.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #1374

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo007 View Post

This list is legit? Where did you come across this info?
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #1375
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
This list is legit? Where did you come across this info?
They are listed on BestBuy.com

721 STEELBOOKS™
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #1376
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
USA

721 STEELBOOKS™
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #1377
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo007 View Post

The Warriors caught my attention, it doesn't say Director's Cut (Most likely it is)

Being released by...Dun, dunnnn!!!..wait for it....
[Show spoiler]
Paramount

Sigh. The beatings will continue until morale improves. The least Par could do (which I suppose could still happen) is have UHD BDs streeting on the same day for some of these titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Max View Post
I'm curious to see how AT&T will be handling all of this from now on.
Why do you think the new corporate owner of these titles' former licensed distributor has anything to do with anything here?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #1378
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Why do you think the new corporate owner of these titles' former licensed distributor has anything to do with anything here?
AT&T is now brand spanking new to Home Video releases.
This should be something everyone is thinking about.
Will they do good?
Will they do bad?
What are their plans?
How will this impact us?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #1379
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Will they do good?
Will they do bad?
What are their plans?
How will this impact us?
I don't mean to be rude but your thinking evidences a lack of understanding of corporate machinations.

First of all, pending approval of the deal AT&T will be the owner of Time Warner. Willo007's post that resuscitated this thread this morning is about PARAMOUNT now clawing back these titles--some of which had been licensed to Warner under the deal that is the broader subject of this thread--and now re-releasing them directly. This has nothing to do with WHV or Time Warner or AT&T.

Second, corporate parents that far up the ladder rarely get involved in something as prosaic as home video release strategy. Trust me, packaged media home video was NOT even a top 10 deal point driving this acquisition. That's akin to saying that Comcast significantly impacted Universal Studios Home Entertainment practices upon their acquisition of NBCUniversal.

Not so much. Brian Roberts and his management teams will largely leave those decisions to people with more experience in that area and who've been with the studio longer. That's not to say people in general, and division heads in particular, don't lose their jobs.

But if anything, if I were to speculate, a wireless and Internet goliath acquiring the parent of a movie studio (wherein that parent just recently sold its cable assets) does NOT bode well for packaged media. They very deal itself happening in the first place evidences the diminishing role of packaged media in the deal-making landscape. I surmise the DEAL itself it will not be "good" or "bad"; they have no "plans" for home video and it will largely not impact us. It's the broader, plate tectonic market shift that the deal signals that is the bigger fish to analyze here, not anything Randall Stephenson and his management teams are purportedly going to do regarding packaged media.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 10-25-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-27-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #1380
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
USA

Quote:
Will they do good?
Will they do bad?
What are their plans?
How will this impact us?
AT&T acquired Warner Bros., but these re-issues are being released by Paramount, and it appears the distribution deal between Paramount & Warner Bros has ended. AT&T is not associated with Paramount currently.
721 STEELBOOKS™
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-27-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors