Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Cinderella (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.96
Mad Max (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$36.88
Stigmata (Blu-ray)
$15.89
My Beautiful Laundrette (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hyperdimension Neptunia The Animation: Complete Series + OVA LE (Blu-ray)
$40.29
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #581
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
That is my impression of it too. It underperformed so it was kind of forgotten. But they were being unrealistic if they thought it was going to compete with Batman in terms of box office. Who was aware of Dick Tracy under the age of 40 back then? Only the boomers would have known Dick Tracy. Madonna was probably brought in to attract the younger crowd, but the decision to cast her was a big mistake. She looks right for the part but she can't act, and i think that really hurt the film in the long run.

Anyway, I would have loved to have seen more Dick Tracy films and special editions dvd's and blu-rays but unfortunately we have to settle for bare bones for now.

It has a bit of a reputation problem because it wasn't a huge hit and the fact that Madonna is in it doesn't help either. Much of the negativity you hear surrounding the film today is the result of received opinions that haven't been revised over the years. It's now seen as the corny old comic book film, the 'Madonna' film(i.e crap by association), the box office failure. Even most of the blu-ray reviews I saw just regurgitated the same tired old views. There has been very little real effort to reappraise the film, even in the era of home video.

If you take the film for what it is, and don't go expected some Nolan inspired comic book film, it's a damn good example of that kind of film making.

I was hoping that after Sin City there might have been renewed interest in Dick Tracy but it never happened.

The animated series re-runs were in syndication in the late 80s so even children were aware of Dick Tracy in the U.S., at least.
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers:
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'The Exorcist', 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'Chungking Express' Replacement Sleeve Insert OR Digipak, 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 AM   #582
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
I still have my Tracy action figures, but I think everything else I had that was related to the film got lost somewhere on the way to adulthood.
That's funny, we ended up on opposite ends, LOL. Though now that I think about it, I may have one of the figures...but I definitely never got to really collect them. They were in so few stores, I don't think I saw them until maybe a year or two after the movie came out in a KB Toys (oh how I miss them).

I think the biggest reason was that I never found The Blank, which was who I really wanted because, well, you know, spoiler. I've seen it on eBay of course since but never picked it up because unfortunately, the mask doesn't come off, LOL.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #583
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
The animated series re-runs were in syndication in the late 80s so even children were aware of Dick Tracy in the U.S., at least.
Actually, I think they were pulled from syndication in the early-to-mid-'80s, and didn't start airing again until the movie came about. Around which time they also started showing the old Ralph Byrd/Morgan Conway films on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
That's funny, we ended up on opposite ends, LOL. Though now that I think about it, I may have one of the figures...but I definitely never got to really collect them. They were in so few stores, I don't think I saw them until maybe a year or two after the movie came out in a KB Toys (oh how I miss them).

I think the biggest reason was that I never found The Blank, which was who I really wanted because, well, you know, spoiler. I've seen it on eBay of course since but never picked it up because unfortunately, the mask doesn't come off, LOL.
That Blank figure was ultra-rare. I think they may have only sold it in Disney stores or something. I know I never found one. It was the one I wanted most, and the only one I didn't get. haha
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America