Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fairy Tail: Part Twenty Two (Blu-ray)
$42.99
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.43
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #201
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

The 4K name is being used now for 3840 x 2160 by many in the industry.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #202
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
256 pixels is nothing, but if you want to be technical, UHD is really 2.1K or maybe 2.2K since we measure vertical pixels when we refer to full HD (1080). For UHD, the industry decided to arbitrarily start counting horizontal pixels, which if we did that for Full HD, it would have been referred to as 1920p, not 1080p.

And considering that on a screen 60" wide, 3840 is only 64 ppi and a Retina display on an iPhone or newer Mac is usually from 217 to 325 ppi, we're still not getting great resolution on TVs, even at 4K.

In a movie theatre with a 4K projector (4096 horizontal), even with a relatively small 30 foot horizontal screen dimension, we're only seeing 11.38 ppi. The only thing saving that experience is that we're so far from the screen.
Well, if you wanna be anal about it then the movie industry has been using horizontal res as the measurement for as long as it's been fiddling with digital (1K, 2K, 4K etc), while vertical res was adopted for home video, probably because 0.7K or 1.9K didn't sound as sexy as Full HD 1080p etc.

But Sony, who straddle both the movie and hardware manufacturing industries, decided to use the 4K moniker for their 3840x2160 gear against the wishes of the wider tech industry who wanted to push ahead with calling it Ultra HD (also referred to as Quad Full HD by some because it's x4 the res of Full HD, natch), and because they were the first to market the 4K name has stuck. So now we'll never be able to escape the pedantic "but it's not true 4K! What a gyp!" posts that will pop up forever more.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #203
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Just got my S790 yesterday. It's replaced my Sony S5500. Setup was a breeze and I popped in a few Blu rays to check it out and all I can say is I should have got it a long time ago. Fantastic PQ and Audio and it has enough features to keep me satisfied for a very long time.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6500 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Xfinity HD.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #204
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Just got my S790 yesterday. It's replaced my Sony S5500. Setup was a breeze and I popped in a few Blu rays to check it out and all I can say is I should have got it a long time ago. Fantastic PQ and Audio and it has enough features to keep me satisfied for a very long time.
Congratulations
LG 55UB950 UHD LED TV
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Panasonic DMP-BD35 region B and ABC and Sony BDP-S790 Video and Audio through HDMI.
YAMAHA Receiver and JBL+ BOSE and Acoustic subwoofer 7.1
Thanks given by:
steve1971 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #205
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca

Quote:
Enjoy
PSN - RAGEofACHILLES79

R.I.P Ivanseesall

Sony uhd 4k 65xbr850c- Sony ct790 - samsung k8500 4k player - harmony remote 1100
Thanks given by:
steve1971 (02-26-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #206
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Ok guy's I have an issue with my S790. I popped in a dvd the other night and nothing, it said empty on the front panel. I put in some other dvd's the same result. It also happened with a few cd's as well. What the hell??? It plays every Blu ray I put in but it wont play any dvd's or cd's??? Does anyone know what the problem is? I dont want to return it it but I will and go back to my Sony S5500 that played everything I threw at it!!! I unplugged it, reset it to factory settings and nothing . I aint to happy right now so maybe someone can help me out here and give me some ideas on what might be happening. If I have to go back to my 5500 then so be it but I hope this issue can be fixed. HELP!!!!!!!

Xfinity HD.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #207
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Quote:
Ok guy's I have an issue with my S790. I popped in a dvd the other night and nothing, it said empty on the front panel. I put in some other dvd's the same result. It also happened with a few cd's as well. What the hell??? It plays every Blu ray I put in but it wont play any dvd's or cd's??? Does anyone know what the problem is? I dont want to return it it but I will and go back to my Sony S5500 that played everything I threw at it!!! I unplugged it, reset it to factory settings and nothing . I aint to happy right now so maybe someone can help me out here and give me some ideas on what might be happening. If I have to go back to my 5500 then so be it but I hope this issue can be fixed. HELP!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your 790. Did you buy the player brand new or was it an used unit? My only suggestion is to run on of those disc cleaners and if it's just a dirty DVD lense. Otherwise, It sounds like the DVD optical lense died. By the way, I've bought an used S790 recently in mint conditions and so far so good but this scares me now . I still have a couple of more Sony BD players in the closet as back up just in case though.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #208
Expert Member

Jan 2012

there are 2 lasers in your unit a red one for playing dvds and cds and a blu one for playing bluray
the red one is damaged or dirty
anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong
Thanks given by:
Cortiz (03-11-2016), HDTV1080P (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #209
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca

Have you done a software update?
PSN - RAGEofACHILLES79

R.I.P Ivanseesall

Sony uhd 4k 65xbr850c- Sony ct790 - samsung k8500 4k player - harmony remote 1100
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #210
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Out View Post
Have you done a software update?
it is my belief that software updates do not effect dvd or cd playback
he said bluray played fine
Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #211
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloween5309 View Post
there are 2 lasers in your unit a red one for playing dvds and cds and a blu one for playing bluray
the red one is damaged or dirty
anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong

This is the most logical solution. Agree with this answer. Time for a repair or replacement.
Thanks given by:
steve1971 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #212

Mar 2010

My 790 won't play CD-Rs anymore, altho it's ok with all other discs. My biggest gripe with the 790 is that it will not offer access to Netflix 3D and Sony will not do an update to offer it (As they have for other models, including the PS3).

Just a heads up (for anyone with Sony products), the new YouTube app will no longer show video...just audio. Not a player problem as many Sony products (TVs and BDs) have been affected, including the 790.

Last edited by film11; 03-12-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #213
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
My 790 won't play CD-Rs anymore, altho it's ok with all other discs. My biggest gripe with the 790 is that it will not offer access to Netflix 3D and Sony will not do an update to offer it (As they have for other models, including the PS3).

Just a heads up (for anyone with Sony products), the new YouTube app will no longer show video...just audio. Not a player problem as many Sony products (TVs and BDs) have been affected, including the 790.
Just noticed this with the Youtube App on my S790 and my Sony 55inch W900A. I hope Sony is aware of this and does something about it.
Xfinity HD.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #214
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Ok since my S790 simply dont play dvd's or cd's a friend of mine gave me a solution. He said as long as everything else work's fine why not just go and purchase a Sony dvd player and use that for cd's and dvd's and keep the 790 for Blu's only. It has me thinking because I have only a few dvd's which are mainly Elvis Presley concerts, The Blade Trilogy and Friday The 13th's 1-4 and those will eventually be replaced by Blu ray. My Elvis dvd's will be the only dvd's in my collection so thats what I may do and I rarely if ever play cd's on any of my Blu ray players that I have owned. I dont want to part with my 790 because when it come's to Blu ray's it play's them flawlessly. So this coming Friday I just might pick up a dvd player and use that for dvd's only. I can pick up a Sony dvd player for $30 so that's what I a going to do.
Xfinity HD.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #215

Feb 2016

Quote:
Ok since my S790 simply dont play dvd's or cd's a friend of mine gave me a solution. He said as long as everything else work's fine why not just go and purchase a Sony dvd player and use that for cd's and dvd's and keep the 790 for Blu's only. It has me thinking because I have only a few dvd's which are mainly Elvis Presley concerts, The Blade Trilogy and Friday The 13th's 1-4 and those will eventually be replaced by Blu ray. My Elvis dvd's will be the only dvd's in my collection so thats what I may do and I rarely if ever play cd's on any of my Blu ray players that I have owned. I dont want to part with my 790 because when it come's to Blu ray's it play's them flawlessly. So this coming Friday I just might pick up a dvd player and use that for dvd's only. I can pick up a Sony dvd player for $30 so that's what I a going to do.
I'd return it and get one that works the way it is suppose to.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #216

Aug 2016
Port Neches, TX.
Question No audio from AVR when hooked via HDMI In

I just purchased a new TV (LG OLED65C6P) which replaced my Samsung TV. I have a fairly basic hook-up, where each component goes into my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR via HDMI's & then one HDMI Out of the AVR to HDMI 1 of my new LG. BTW, each of my other components (Roku 4 & Hopper 3 work just fine & have both audio & video). I have the Sony BDP-S790 BD Player which has always worked beautifully regardless of what TV I had. Now however when trying it on the new LG, I get a beautiful picture, but no audio. I've tried replacing all my HDMI cables, tried different HDMI inputs on the AVR, etc. Someone on another forum looked online at the 790's manual (the AV Separation Output Mode section) & told me I needed to run HDMI 1 of the Sony direct to my LG & to run HDMI 2 of the Sony to my AVR. I have not tried this yet because I've never had to do this previously with any other TV & that's all that's changed. Before I try this, I wanted to post here & see if folks on this forum agree & if not, what other solutions may be suggested. And one last thing; if I do as stated above, do I just go from the 790's HDMI 1 Out to HDMI 1 In of the LG & from the 790's HDMI 2 Out to the BD In on the AVR? And then, do I still go from my AVR out to my LG (maybe HDMI 2 In)? I had read somewhere where someone suggested using the ARC Input of my LG, but that part I definitely disagree with because I don't see my set-up needing ARC (as I understand the purpose of ARC). I'd appreciate any advice.

Ken

Last edited by hearrean; 08-13-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #217

Aug 2016
Port Neches, TX.
Question Not passing Audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Can the 790 be configured in such a way that it doesn't output audio over HDMI?
Why, were you having issues getting audio via your HDMI cable as I am? I see you used the AV Separation Mode to address the problem. Someone suggested that to me, but I'm having a hard time believing that will correct my problem. I had read (I thought) that the main purpose of the Sony having (2) HDMI Out's was in case your display was not 3D capable, or something like that.

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #218

Aug 2016
Port Neches, TX.
Exclamation

Even though no one has responded to my posts, I'll still post this as what I ended up having to do.
After 2 days of doing everything to get my BD Player going, I got mad, went to Best Buy & bought the new Samsung UHD 4K BD Player. I was planning on buying either that or the new Phillips anyway, just not so soon. But the prices have finally starting dropping drastically & Best Buy is meeting all the online prices. So for $317, I bring it home. Anyway, I hook it up & after a few minutes of menu set-up, put in a BD Movie & wham, I have glorious sound!! Now figure that out if you can because I'd really like to know. I thought my problem had nothing to do with 4K HDR, etc, but turns out, it may just have had.
Ken
Old 09-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #219

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I just purchased a new TV (LG OLED65C6P) which replaced my Samsung TV. I have a fairly basic hook-up, where each component goes into my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR via HDMI's & then one HDMI Out of the AVR to HDMI 1 of my new LG. BTW, each of my other components (Roku 4 & Hopper 3 work just fine & have both audio & video). I have the Sony BDP-S790 BD Player which has always worked beautifully regardless of what TV I had. Now however when trying it on the new LG, I get a beautiful picture, but no audio. I've tried replacing all my HDMI cables, tried different HDMI inputs on the AVR, etc. Someone on another forum looked online at the 790's manual (the AV Separation Output Mode section) & told me I needed to run HDMI 1 of the Sony direct to my LG & to run HDMI 2 of the Sony to my AVR. I have not tried this yet because I've never had to do this previously with any other TV & that's all that's changed. Before I try this, I wanted to post here & see if folks on this forum agree & if not, what other solutions may be suggested. And one last thing; if I do as stated above, do I just go from the 790's HDMI 1 Out to HDMI 1 In of the LG & from the 790's HDMI 2 Out to the BD In on the AVR? And then, do I still go from my AVR out to my LG (maybe HDMI 2 In)? I had read somewhere where someone suggested using the ARC Input of my LG, but that part I definitely disagree with because I don't see my set-up needing ARC (as I understand the purpose of ARC). I'd appreciate any advice.

Ken
I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading that HDMI 2 is audio-only, so running that through the AVR and HDMI 1 to the TV sounds plausible
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #220

Jan 2012
Michigan

Wifi on mine died this last weekend. After quick jont around the web's , it seem to be fairly common for Sony BDPs. Only solution is to send for service(cost more than the thing is worth), well other than using a wifi bridge on the Ethernet port or plugging in direct with ethernet.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Sherbourn CD-1 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio LSi9 || Center - PolkAudio LSiC || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor OWM3 || Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505 || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders