Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Expert Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib2 View Post
Ok well I will tell Sony that's a mistake then. Because that is what their rep said.
Quote:
These "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray titles-paired with the native 4K titles for Sony's 4K video distribution service, which is planned to be launched in summer 2013 in the US-demonstrate Sony Pictures' holistic commitment to 4K and to the launch of this exciting new hardware into the market.
Quote:
"Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray releases will feature titles-such as The Amazing Spider-Man™, Total Recall, The Karate Kid, Battle: Los Angeles and The Other Guys-sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at high-bitrate 1080p resolution, with expanded color showcasing more of the wide range of rich color contained in the original source. When upscaled via the Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs, these discs serve as an ideal way for consumers to experience near-4K picture quality. SPHE also plans to utilize available high quality 4K masters for select upcoming new release Blu-ray titles. "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Discs can be played on all existing Blu-ray Disc players.
So we don't really have 4K physical media yet in that regard. I know you have Sony saying they have PS4 capable of playing 4K video, but is it really 4K broadcasts, media? Netflix was talking about using new compression to achieve 3D and 4k resolution with streaming, again is it really comparable to 4k source material, or merely a approximation of the resolution only, as compared to the current 1080P streaming PQ claims? Note the near-4K picture quality comment.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #22

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
So we don't really have 4K physical media yet in that regard. I know you have Sony saying they have PS4 capable of playing 4K video, but is it really 4K broadcasts, media? Netflix was talking about using new compression to achieve 3D and 4k resolution with streaming, again is it really comparable to 4k source material, or merely a approximation of the resolution only, as compared to the current 1080P streaming PQ claims? Note the near-4K picture quality comment.
Yep I saw that demoed recently. Up scaled content looked pretty good. It will probably be a while before hardware is able to play 4K video from physical media. Even the 4K TV and projector were $25K so I don't see it taking off soon and they have time to wait before the cost comes down where most people can afford the 4K screens anyway. Steaming is fine for now but I will wait.

Those "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray titles won't be in 4K on the blu-ray disc they are movie originally shot with 4K equipment and the master is 4K but the content on the blu-ray disc won't be 4K. The Blu-ray contains some data that the new 4K projectors and TVs can use to reconstruct a better picture which is more than just upscale but it is still not 4K and doesn't look as good.

Last edited by dib2; 02-22-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #23

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
You still need to decode it and display it. The PS3 could concievably be able to decode it since it has a pretty powerful CPU, though even that isn't guaranteed since H265 will likely be very compute intensive, but any player that uses a hardware decoder won't be able to do anything with a 4K stream.
Right a player won't be able to decode the 4K. Sony plans to provide to their customers a 'box' when the service becomes available. Heck the TV or Projector cost $25K. And even though the data can fit on a blu-ray disc that doesn't mean that the blu-ray player will use the same laser or even that the data will be in the same format so any blu-ray player today would have to be replaced and a PS3 won't work anyway.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #24

Oct 2008
Syracuse

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BAZ...e&ref_=&sr=8-1 It's on sale
Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #25

Oct 2008
Syracuse

A affordable 4K projector thats on sale & the 4K ghostbusters bluray will also be up for preorder in 4 days on amazon.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjackolanterns View Post
A affordable 4K projector thats on sale & the 4K ghostbusters bluray will also be up for preorder in 4 days on amazon.
Thanks for the link and the added info. You know, I may not get anything big this year (except for the 40" led TV for my family to get rid of the old CRT we have still) and wait til next year and get a 4K projector???? I have 2 unused shelves on my audio tower where my Epson and Sony player are.
I could make it work in my man cave. Will have to see.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #27

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Quote:
That is not accurate. The JVC projector you refer to is discontinued and has been replaced by JVC DLA-X55R which is not a true 4K projector. It's native resolution is 1080p. The Ghostbusters you are referring to was mastered FROM 4K but is not in 4K. The 4K sony projector can use some 'meta data' on the disc to help improve the overall 4K experience using the up scaling processor/technology in their 4K projector and TV but it is not in 4K.

So you are back to the sony solution for a true 4K experience.

Also in the future there will be more affordable and durable laser projectors. The laser will last 20 years rather than 4,000 hours like current projectors and they will have amazing black levels too. That's when I'll upgrade to 4K.

Last edited by dib2; 05-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders