Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #41
Expert Member

Jan 2008
New York City

I like this movie. Waiting for the price to drop before I buy.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #42
Special Member

Sep 2006

lots of sharks in this movie?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

I shot off an email to Starz/Anchor Bay today. I have my fingers crossed that I'll actually receive a reply.

Mark
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

If you're looking for a deal on this movie, I just posted one on the Movie Deals Forum here. It's $16.27 after coupon.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #45
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Just saw this last night, as a rental from Netflix...no doubt I will be adding it to my collection. Every aspect of this release was excellent: story, acting, PQ, AQ and even the extras while short(2 featurettes) are quite good.
What an amazing story of the human spirit and how it prevails.

If you're even thinking about buying/renting this...you will not be let down!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #46

Jun 2009
Big Island, Hawaii

Terrific review of a sensational movie, Pro-B. To many of my generation (I'm 62), Heyerdahl was both a childhood hero as well as an intellectual inspiration. Reading his "Kon-Tiki" and "Aku Aku" books made a huge impression on me personally when I was young, and very much fueled my interest in Polynesian origins and voyaging. Although he was never able to persuade the professional academic community on his theory (a theory which is almost universally rejected by academics today), his pioneering work nevertheless inspired the careers of dozens, if not hundreds, of archaeological, anthropological, linguistic and ethnobotanist scholars who have pursued the fascinating questions of Polynesian prehistory. His true influence was far greater than the more popularly-known expeditionary highlights of his long career.

The film is frankly brilliant, with reference-quality video and audio. A very low-risk "blind-buy", people. Take our word for it ...

BTW, the original 1951 documentary is well worth checking out. It's available on Amazon, apparently in two different versions: (1) a 2001 Image release checking in at 77 minutes, and (2) a 2006 Janson Media release of 124 minutes. Can't explain the discrepancy, as I don't have both releases. Does anyone have information on this?

Last edited by rvmeeker; 11-13-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #47
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the film, rvmeeker. And your history with the novel is very interesting.

I recently ordered the original documentary film on DVD (R2) and have received it.

Kon-Tiki will appear on my Top 10 list at the end of the year. I agree with you, sensational film and a truly fantastic looking and sounding release.

Pro-B
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Watched 'Kon-Tiki' again this afternoon with my sister. I kept the A/V receiver volume at -11 through the entire film and didn't have any issues with receiver's circuit breaker getting tripped. -11 was plenty loud in the living room!

Such a terrific movie! It's really too bad so many people won't take the time to watch it! They've got a predetermined notion of what it is about and, sadly, their biases prevent them from experiencing a cinematic masterpiece!

Mark
Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

I asked my friend from Norway if this film is any good. This is what he said.

Quote:
Wow ... that was a glowing review.

First of all, my iew of this movie is coloured by
a) having watched the original Kon Tiki-documentary several times
b) having read a lot of Heyerdahl books as a kid
c) the realisation that Heyerdahl was a pseudoscientist - an idol crushed
d) the massive hype in Norway.

Also, I watched it with my parents on their smaller screen and without surround sound.

Yes, it looks good. The effects are good, and a testament to what Norwegian film makers (and others from smaller countries) can accomplish on a tenth of a Hollywood budget.

Acting, dialogue and the story is good.

But for me the story lacks nerve, even though they invented schisms and drama. Maybe it is because I knew the story so well. I knew what would happen. For an audience with only a passing knowledge of the expedition, or none at all, it will be more exciting.

I think it would have been fantastic to see this as a 12-year old. For a jaded, disillusioned thirty-something it is not that great.

For those Norwegians who still idolize Heyerdahl I think it worked great. For me, not so much.

I recommend that you watch it. It is very well made. If you have a kid, or a niece or nephew, watch it with them. It is an ocean-faring adventure in pursuit of knowledge and science, not for gold and fame (at least not explicitly, adults might see throught it, but kids will hopefully not be cynical enough).

The original, Oscar-winning documentary is FAR better, though.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Really great film. Watched it this weekend with my wife (who doesn't go in for these kind of movies) and we were extremely impressed. The actors were all very good and even though I had read the book on a couple of occasions in my life, the movie was still very engaging even though it's about a bunch of guys floating around in the Pacific Ocean on a raft !
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
South Central Los Angeles

This is on Netflix Instant service, just added it to my Q
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #52

Nov 2010
Mexico

Just a heads up, this is currently on sale at Best Buy for $11.99, probably it wasn't advertised anywhere since Amazon hasn't price matched.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kon-tiki...tiki&lp=2&cp=1
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #53

Nov 2010
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkz323 View Post
Seems netflix instant only has the shorter english version
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #54

Aug 2012
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkz323 View Post
This is awesome news and thank you for the heads up! I'm watching it now

EDIT: Fantastic movie! That was my first time seeing it. It was very entertaining. Thank You again for sharing the info that it's available on Netflix

Last edited by Joewe; 01-23-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Just finished watching the movie
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America