Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #761
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Wouldn't he have to buy the BD in order to see the BD in order to make up his mind - which is what he wuz unsure about?
Fair enough. The point was more the preconceived judgment.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #762
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Fair enough. The point was more the preconceived judgment.
I was jes teasin', pardner. It seems like some dudes here take it personal when some others aren't in love with this BD. Personally, I think the BRDC caps make it look more like an upconverted DVD - at best. But since I was able to order one for $5.69 taxable, I ordered it to find out first hand for myself. If it's as bad as the caps make it look - and I hate judging by caps - I'll try to sell it on eBay and recoup some of my money.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 AM   #763

Oct 2011
Quincy, MA

6 bucks is cheap enough for me to upgrade! Even if it's not the be-all and end-all of PQ, it's still one of the greatest movies ever (no pun intended)!
--Reality is for people who can't handle STAR TREK.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #764
Expert Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
I was jes teasin', pardner. It seems like some dudes here take it personal when some others aren't in love with this BD. Personally, I think the BRDC caps make it look more like an upconverted DVD - at best. But since I was able to order one for $5.69 taxable, I ordered it to find out first hand for myself. If it's as bad as the caps make it look - and I hate judging by caps - I'll try to sell it on eBay and recoup some of my money.
$5.69...it's not even worth reselling it at that price if you don't like it. The Great Escape is a classic, you'll get many, many viewings out of that $5.69.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 AM   #765
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
Obviously it depends to some extent on the film; if the DP took care to shoot at a pretty deep stop, didn't use zooms, diffusion, etc, that would certainly help. If the transfer techs sharpen the shit out of it, that'll "help" too. But the lenses sucked (by objective metrics anyway, many filmmakers have embraced their optical defects). Softness was the norm. And now many of these films are littered with dupes, to boot.

A few major 4K restorations of approximately contemporary films for your consideration:
Sand Pebbles
Dr. Zhivago
The Guns of Navarone

Does it look as good as the most top-notch 4k restorations of the best-photographed scope films with the most stellar blu-ray authoring? No. Did those films ever look that good theatrically? Certainly not. Detail-wise, TGE is in the ballpark of what you would have seen …
I've got one for you - not to argue about, just to get your take on it - The Professionals (1966), which I watched tonight : both 35 mm, 2.35 : 1, Panavision (anamorphic) (as Panavision®). The BRDC caps for The Professionals display none of the problems of The Great Escape (1963). The BD looked great (and sounded pretty good), especially considering the film's age. The key is - nothing was soft. Result : I'm now more worried than ever about TGE, but it's shipped and so …

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonski View Post
$5.69...it's not even worth reselling it at that price if you don't like it. The Great Escape is a classic, you'll get many, many viewings out of that $5.69.
It's not the movie, I know about that - it's this BD I'm not so certain about.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #766
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
I've got one for you - not to argue about, just to get your take on it - The Professionals (1966), which I watched tonight : both 35 mm, 2.35 : 1, Panavision (anamorphic) (as Panavision®). The BRDC caps for The Professionals display none of the problems of The Great Escape (1963). The BD looked great (and sounded pretty good), especially considering the film's age. The key is - nothing was soft. Result : I'm now more worried than ever about TGE, but it's shipped and so …
Unfortunately, I have not seen it. Screenshots show pretty clear signs of sharpening though.
The thing is, there's no "problem" with TGE's sharpness. It's unexceptional, but not problematic. It's well within the range of how movies of its origins look theatrically. It has other problems, but that's not one of them.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #767
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
The Professionals looks great, so does Lawrence Of Arabia & Samson & Delilah, & there's a few films from the 70's & 80's that look dire. You have to go on a film by film basis. As I've said, we don't know what state the org. negs. are in, & this could be the best we'll ever get. And now the Blu is down to the price of a burger, I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #768
Expert Member

Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away

And let's not forget that TGE was/is a very very popular film which means a lot of film printing through the years off the original negative.
My guess is that the OCN is in a pretty bad shape.

Last edited by L'armée des ombres; 03-31-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #769

Oct 2011

Yes, I've seen the movie. But members here have said it looks just bad, and watching a movie with a bad transfer isn't that enjoyable to me. It can bring the enjoyment of the movie down. That's probably why I won't even get Weird Science if it hits this low, not comparing the two transfers, but just giving an example. I really did enjoy the movie though, so for $6, and not owning the movie in any capacity, I guess it's worth it. Part of me wants to wait out for a remaster but that may not happen anytime soon.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #770
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

I watched it on a 112" screen and it's not as bad as what people are making it out to be.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver, NAD M25 amp, Oppo bdp-93, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm ADP-590 v5, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #771
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
I watched it on a 112" screen and it's not as bad as what people are making it out to be.
I watched it on a 100" screen although not great is was very watchable, I wish it was better but this is one of my favorite films, and is a must have for me, if later down the line it's re-released with a better transfer, I'll grab that one as well.
Favorite Quote from Father Goose
Lieutenant Stebbings: Mother Goose is requesting a chaplain.
Commander Frank Houghton: A chaplain? Good heavens, he's killed her.
Lieutenant Stebbings: No, sir. They want to get married.
Commander Frank Houghton: Married? Goody Two-Shoes and the Filthy Beast?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #772
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

I was not impressed with the transfer at all. I expected better even considering the age of the film itself. Patton looked a LOT better.
2646 titles on disc... of those, 1044 are Blu-Ray, 80 are in 3D.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #773
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
I was not impressed with the transfer at all. I expected better even considering the age of the film itself. Patton looked a LOT better.
Patton is a 70mm film. No comparison to be had.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #774
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
But Patton was shot on 65mm in 1970, it should look fantastic. The Sand Pebbles '66 was shot on 35mm anamorphic (like TGE) & looks great. But as I said, you just can't compare films, it's a different restoration story for each movie.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #775

Mar 2010

"The Great Escape" looks fine on blu-ray, it's unexceptional and not demonstration quality, but it's fine, you won't be impressed but you won't be horrified either
Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #776

Apr 2014

So I watched this film in widescreen VHS about 15 years ago - owned the DVD and never watched it and now I just watched the BD this morning.

Horrified. It's the first time I paused the movie to google the PQ just to check I wasn't going mad. I hadn't read any of the negative press before I started watching it - and deary me the blues, the watched out Noise reduction - the variable quality scene by scene. It's the first BD I'm selling on Amazon whereby I want to keep it but the BD isn't good enough.

I thought we moved on from this BS.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #777
Special Member

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

While it probably wont end up on someones demo reel its a great movie to be had.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #778
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphph View Post
So I watched this film in widescreen VHS about 15 years ago - owned the DVD and never watched it and now I just watched the BD this morning.

Horrified. It's the first time I paused the movie to google the PQ just to check I wasn't going mad. I hadn't read any of the negative press before I started watching it - and deary me the blues, the watched out Noise reduction - the variable quality scene by scene. It's the first BD I'm selling on Amazon whereby I want to keep it but the BD isn't good enough.

Ugh. Here we go again.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #779
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphph View Post

Blame MGM, but it is still miles better than the DVD.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #780
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Ugh. Here we go again.
If they bug you, ignore such comments - Don't Feed The Trolls.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America