Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #1141
Suspended

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

I've always liked Voyager, but I think that has something to do with a bit of nostalgia for me. Voyager was the series that was on when I was in junior high and high school, and as big Trek fans my mom and I never missed it when it aired.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #1142
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Star Trek Bed Bath & Beyond
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (04-23-2015), Astro Zombie (05-20-2015), Forever Knight (05-07-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #1143
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Star Trek Bed Bath & Beyond
Movies Wants (HDX):
Quantum of Solace, Laggies, DWP, Scenic Route, Lincoln, Voices, Bankstas, Cake, The Pyramid, Fargo, Cut Bank

TV Wants (HDX):
Newsroom S3, Grimm S1, Boardwalk Empire S5, Sherlock S1, S2 & S3, Big Bang Theory S1 - S4 & S8
Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #1144
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
The worse offender was Parallax - what should have played out over seasons was essentially played out, and ruined, in one episode.
Year of Hell should've actually been a season's worth of storytelling, and supposedly that's what they wanted to do but UPN wouldn't allow it so we have the trademark Voyager reset button where nothing bad ever happens.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #1145
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013
Staffordshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Year of Hell should've actually been a season's worth of storytelling, and supposedly that's what they wanted to do but UPN wouldn't allow it so we have the trademark Voyager reset button where nothing bad ever happens.
Blame Jeri Taylor. She convinced UPN that Braga and Berman were wrong about a season-long story arc...
I aim to misbehave....
Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #1146
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014

On a slightly different note, Here is an interesting kickstarter project...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e?ref=category
Movies Wants (HDX):
Quantum of Solace, Laggies, DWP, Scenic Route, Lincoln, Voices, Bankstas, Cake, The Pyramid, Fargo, Cut Bank

TV Wants (HDX):
Newsroom S3, Grimm S1, Boardwalk Empire S5, Sherlock S1, S2 & S3, Big Bang Theory S1 - S4 & S8
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #1147
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Kansas

Oh boy. I thought originally Simon Pegg said he wanted the movie to be more like Star Trek of old. Now he says its going to be even less so.
Epson 5010 on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580
Sony PS3 and PS4
DirecTV HR24
Yamaha RX-V567
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Polk T15
Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #1148

Aug 2012
Culver City, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Oh boy. I thought originally Simon Pegg said he wanted the movie to be more like Star Trek of old. Now he says its going to be even less so.
Where is this quote?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #1149
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Jakku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeff View Post
Where is this quote?
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...down-of-cinema
GEORGE LUCAS | JOHN WILLIAMS
--- THE GALAXY WOULDN'T BE THE SAME ---

SONY BDP-S7200 | SONY PLAYSTATION 3 | MARANTZ SR5007
PANASONIC VIERA TH-P65ST60K | KEF LS50 ANNIVERSARY MODEL | SVS SB13-ULTRA
MERLIN | AUDIOQUEST | QED | SUPRA | THE CHORD COMPANY
DARBEE DARBLET DVP5000 | LOGITECH HARMONY TOUCH + PS3 ADAPTER
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #1150
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

So Paramount wants Serenity but they want it to make $1.5 billion more than what that took home at the box office?
I would trade all of your souls for it to be Dec 18 already.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #1151
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

And they seem to think that every big event movie should be making $1.5 billion every time...the original script was "too Star Trek-y"....words fail me. I'd rather see Star Trek lay dormant than have it bastardised any further by these clueless ****s.

As for Pegg, he's starting to get a serious case of luvvie-itis, he's becoming a bigger douchebag by the minute.
Thanks given by:
Lt. Brannigan (05-20-2015), StingingVelvet (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #1152
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

wow, this is all I can say about my expectations for this movie now

Thanks given by:
Forever Knight (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #1153
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Paramount Wants To Ruin STAR TREK! Or Maybe They Want To Just Make It STAR TREK

What is Star Trek? I have been fascinated to see this question playing out in the media and fandom every since JJ Abrams rebooted the series. Over the last couple of years I've begun to suspect something about how people (in general, not everybody) are defining Star Trek: in the light of the tedious Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Why do I say that? Because the latest words from Simon Pegg (a man who apparently breathes internet napalm, setting fires every time he opens his mouth) has gotten people upset about the direction of Star Trek Beyond, and I can only understand this upsetment if people think all Star Trek is Star Trek: The Next Generation:

Quote:
"They had a script for Star Trek that wasn't really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little too Star Trek-y."
That was Orci's script. But what does 'a little too Star Trek-y' mean?

Quote:
"Avengers Assemble, which is a pretty nerdy, comic-book, supposedly niche thing, made $1.5 billion dollars. Star Trek: Into Darkness made half a billion, which is still brilliant. But it means that, according to the studio, there's still $1 billion worth of box office that don't go and see Star Trek. And they want to know why.

People don't see it being a fun, brightly coloured, Saturday night entertainment like the Avengers. [So they want to] make a western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it's more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent."
I read that last bit and I say to myself... oh, they just want to make it like the original Star Trek TV show. A show that was pitched as Wagon Train To The Stars, a space western. A show that had episodes where Kirk and Spock found themselves on a planet ruled by 1930s mafioso, a show where the spirit of Jack the Ripper took over Scotty and a show where one of the greatest episodes is a submarine battle story. They had episodes that were courtroom dramas and episodes that were love stories. To me that is Star Trek - a bunch of different genres and story types into which the Trek characters are inserted. What's more, most of the best episodes of Star Trek are, to me, fun. And brightly colo(u)red - one of the best things about watching Trek on Blu is the popping, bright colors of the series, which the network pushed to the limits to make the most of brand-new color TVs.

Taken with Pegg's recent thoughts about geekdom and pop culture, I find this sort of... encouraging? I'd love to see a big screen Trek that feels like a Western or a heist movie. The opening of Search for Spock has that element, and The Enterprise Incident, where Kirk goes undercover as a Romulan to steal a cloaking device, is just a big spy/heist story. I would watch a movie that is like Specter of the Gun, where a weird alien godthing makes the crew reenact the gunfight at the OK Corrall. I'd watch a movie that is like Arena, where Kirk is forced to fight a lizard man. There has been this retconning of Trek, in the shadow of Next Generation, where people think the show is staid and sort of serious and scholarly and dull. It wasn't - at least the real show wasn't.

I don't know - on the surface everything Paramount wants sounds like it's in line with the original series. And if Pegg can work to make that pop, fun story have meaning and thematic weight - well, this could still be one of the best Trek movies yet.
Birth Movies Death
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter

Thanks given by:
L-Rouge (05-22-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #1154
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
And they seem to think that every big event movie should be making $1.5 billion every time...the original script was "too Star Trek-y"....words fail me. I'd rather see Star Trek lay dormant than have it bastardised any further by these clueless ****s.

As for Pegg, he's starting to get a serious case of luvvie-itis, he's becoming a bigger douchebag by the minute.
I can imagine the amount of back-peddling they'll do after the next movie hits, they should be able to wave to Superman as he tries to bring Lois back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Pegg
And I honestly thought the other day that I’m gonna retire from geekdom. I’ve become the poster child for that generation, and it’s not necessarily something I particularly want to be. I’d quite like to go off and do some serious acting.
At least he's still got his sense of humour.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #1155
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Some very fair points in Walt's news article about the candy-coloured fun factor of the original series, but there were morality plays mixed in with the gangster planets and whatnot. That's what was so great about the show, whereas now it sounds very much like Paramount simply want a Marvel movie in space every time, and to hell with any of the social commentary which, yes, even TOS addressed from time to time. And TNG was "tedious"? **** off.

Under JJ's auspices we've already had two very pretty and very action-packed Trek movies so why can't we have something a bit more on the cerebral side third time out? Without an accompanying TV series to do more of the intellectual heavy lifting (which is what allowed the movies the freedom to be a bit broader) it seems as if nuTrek is getting dumber with each new instalment.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #1156
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Wow, I thought Devin Faraci's fanboy style writing about the Marvel films put him and I on opposite ends of the movie fan spectrum, but calling TNG tedious and boring? Good lord...

Anyway, watering everything down to try and make it a 1.5 billion dollar mainstream pop entertainment hit usually ends up losing you the fans you have, rather than gaining new ones. Studios need to budget and market films to the audiences they have, not shoot for the stars with every franchise. I feel like this is a 40 year old broken record at this point though.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #1157
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Jakku

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

It was a TV series, so with that many episodes they had to be creative with all sorts of stories. But the above is the core of what makes it Star Trek.
GEORGE LUCAS | JOHN WILLIAMS
--- THE GALAXY WOULDN'T BE THE SAME ---

SONY BDP-S7200 | SONY PLAYSTATION 3 | MARANTZ SR5007
PANASONIC VIERA TH-P65ST60K | KEF LS50 ANNIVERSARY MODEL | SVS SB13-ULTRA
MERLIN | AUDIOQUEST | QED | SUPRA | THE CHORD COMPANY
DARBEE DARBLET DVP5000 | LOGITECH HARMONY TOUCH + PS3 ADAPTER
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 AM   #1158
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
[Show spoiler]Some very fair points in Walt's news article about the candy-coloured fun factor of the original series, but there were morality plays mixed in with the gangster planets and whatnot. That's what was so great about the show, whereas now it sounds very much like Paramount simply want a Marvel movie in space every time, and to hell with any of the social commentary which, yes, even TOS addressed from time to time
. And TNG was "tedious"? **** off.

in my youth, waiting an entire week for one of 22 episodes?. It did become tedious. it had incredible moments, but It had it's fair share of repetition. as a youngster, I got tired of the ambassadorial role the Enterprise would be tasked with quite often. Got shit tired of Mr Data trying to find his humanity, which is something that plagued the movies something shocking.

fwiw, after all is said and done it's my second fav show!. and really enjoy visiting each episode on blu.
# L L A P

Last edited by L-Rouge; 05-22-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies