Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #1181
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Huh? The first movie looks amazing right now on BD.
I haven't watched it in a while, but I recall Torsten Kaiser (film restoration guy) was saying there were a lot of issues with it.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #1182

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev210 View Post
I finally finished up my original 5 Planet of the Apes custom covers. I used mostly foreign art posters for the covers (except Battle), since I prefer them to the U.S. one sheet posters. For Conquest, there was a lot of text covering Caesar's face, so I had to find a water color painting of fire in the same loose, freehand style and blend it with the poster art. I think it works O.K.

If anyone wants a set of the covers, please feel free to PM. The resolution in the files below is significantly reduced.

Cheers!
Steve

[

Nice! What kind of paper is used to make a blu-ray cover? Is that something that can be purchased at Kinkos or somewhere like that? I know there is the thread devoted to that kind of stuff here but just a quick question.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #1183
Special Member

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post

When I re-watched the original recently, which I hadn't seen in many years, I discovered that I had forgotten just how obnoxious Taylor was during the beginning of the film.
It's intentional, to show how de-evolved even so called civilized humans had become and contrast them with the more learned apes.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #1184
Special Member

Jan 2011
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
The thing about Cornelius & Zira having trouble telling Brent & Taylor apart, Brent was about a foot shorter, shouldn't have been that difficult...
Not surprised since Zira couldn't even tell they switched husband's on her.

[Show spoiler] <----- David Watson

Last edited by HonestJohn; 04-19-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 03:47 AM   #1185

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Nice! What kind of paper is used to make a blu-ray cover? Is that something that can be purchased at Kinkos or somewhere like that? I know there is the thread devoted to that kind of stuff here but just a quick question.
I can't speak for everyone, but I get a 15 pack of glossy photo paper from 99 cent store & print them on my Kodak photo printer. The heavy stock also is durable from damage from eco cases.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #1186

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steev210 View Post
I finally finished up my original 5 Planet of the Apes custom covers. I used mostly foreign art posters for the covers (except Battle), since I prefer them to the U.S. one sheet posters. For Conquest, there was a lot of text covering Caesar's face, so I had to find a water color painting of fire in the same loose, freehand style and blend it with the poster art. I think it works O.K.

If anyone wants a set of the covers, please feel free to PM. The resolution in the files below is significantly reduced.

Cheers!
Steve

[

Very cool! I always liked that Planet art the best & have an original of that Conquest poster.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #1187

Jul 2011

Quote:
Very cool! I always liked that Planet art the best & have an original of that Conquest poster.
Thanks, I too, prefer the original French poster for the original Planet of the Apes. The foreign posters for the series seem so much more colorful-that's why I went with them over the U.S. posters. Same goes with Beneath, Escape and Conquest . I love that artwork and in my opinion they're superior to the U.S. counterparts. But I know there's a lot of love for the U.S. version as well.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #1188
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but I get a 15 pack of glossy photo paper from 99 cent store & print them on my Kodak photo printer. The heavy stock also is durable from damage from eco cases.
I've had good results with brochure paper.
You can't stop progress.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #1189
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

I ordered Planet of the Apes today.
haven't seen these films since childhood, and I remember I loved them.
I even had a party at 4th grade at which we all watched the first film.

I wanted to ask, do you go by original audio when you watch the films?
Are the new mixes significantly altered, or is it just an expansion in space of the original audio?
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Runaway, Mayerling, Supergirl, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines, The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), Madonna Blond Ambition Tour
Foreign films: Sissi Trilogy, Death in Venice, Raise the Red Lantern, Cyrano, Indochine, Farewell my Concubine
Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #1190
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Are the new mixes significantly altered, or is it just an expansion in space of the original audio?
I prefer the 5.1
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (Yesterday)
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #1191
Special Member

Aug 2013

Quote:

From earlier in the thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
When I was a consultant for these films for the Laserdisc (original publicity materials from my collection were part of the bonus materials) release it was found that the original 4-track stereo mix had been lost. A fake stereo mix was done then, and for a new 5.1 was prepared for the DVD release. FOX didn't invest much money and when to Chase Surround then, and again when a new 5.1 was done for the Blu-ray - along with all 4 sequels. The music and effects stereo mix was to be used for the other languages as well with the dialog left mostly in mono - however, when it came time to lay down the elements for the English the sound effects and music were put through a phase separator to create fake stereo and then used for the English track. So if you go back and compare (as in the beginning of the hunt you will hear the sound of the ape horn off to one side of the stereo track (French) but not in the English. Also, just compare the isolated scores for any of them and compare how the music sound in the film - the same 5.1 re-mix was used but changed and flattened for use in the film, for all the films.

(...)

In any case, all the POTA films share the same mistake and it was never fixed. (...)
Seems like if this is the case then all of the Blu-rays are modern remixes.
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (Yesterday)
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #1192
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I always use the original mono or stereo when available, but then I don't like surround sound anyway.
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (Yesterday)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #1193
Special Member

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:

If it's the first time I'm seeing the film I will always choose the original theatrical sound, if it's available. However, if I've seen the film a number of times already, I will opt for the remix just as kind of a novelty.

Have a great time watching these fun movies again. You should invite all the people who attended your 4th grade party back for this revival screening!
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #1194
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
Have a great time watching these fun movies again. You should invite all the people who attended your 4th grade party back for this revival screening!
Hehe!! For starters, I only remember 2-3 of them and I don't know what has happened to all of them! I live in a different city.

Anyway, just got the box!
This is no big deal but I was wondering what the audio icon in the menu does!!
I selected it and it shows the audio off icon, but the audio isn't off! (I assumed it would turn off the music in the menu)
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Runaway, Mayerling, Supergirl, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines, The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), Madonna Blond Ambition Tour
Foreign films: Sissi Trilogy, Death in Venice, Raise the Red Lantern, Cyrano, Indochine, Farewell my Concubine
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #1195
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
The music & effects tracks were supposed to be used across the board but when it came time to do the master for the English the music was put through a filter that crushed the mix and made it pseudo stereo and the effects mono
Hello ditchin.
I'm reading again your reply on the audio and the one quoted above some posts.

You say the original 4-channel stereo mix had been lost.
So, the mix that is used in the French track, which has a seperation, is a fake one?
And that was tampered with further for the English track and lost that seperation?

I'm going back and forth now between French and English in the Hunt scene and I can hear that the French is better.
But still I haven't understood if that (the french) is a fake one or the original stereo.

By the way, I found this:
Quote:
I was fiddling around with the menu on the POTA blu ray going over special features, pressing stuff fast. And all the sudden, a picture of a Banana appeared. I selected the banana picture and it shows the Mego ape commercial (the one that is also an Easter egg on the DVD).
Quote:
Click Special Features, then click The Archives of the Apes, and find Vintage Planet of the Apes Featurette [1968]. Push the 'right' button of your remote, and the banana will show.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...ay-easter-egg/

Do the other Blurays have any easter egg?
I searched the thread here but there is no mention..

Last edited by filmmusic; Yesterday at 09:46 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America