COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #121
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Hey everyone!

I found a mint condition used copy of Wings (the earlier 2012 release) for $12.99 at Movie Stop today. I've always wanted to see this movie, so I bit down on the hook.

I did an iPhone check of the site review and forum comments here while I was in the store (I often do this when I find used copies of interesting movies.), so I appreciated the info here.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #122
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Enjoy it Great Owl! Good film -- the music and sound FXs are great (although cheating a bit for a silent!) and the action scenes are still thrilling. The "bubbles" scene was a little longer than it should have been for me, but that's a minor complaint. Over-all a really enjoyable slice of Hollywood history, really well presented.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #123
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Hey everyone!

I found a mint condition used copy of Wings (the earlier 2012 release) for $12.99 at Movie Stop today. I've always wanted to see this movie, so I bit down on the hook.

I did an iPhone check of the site review and forum comments here while I was in the store (I often do this when I find used copies of interesting movies.), so I appreciated the info here.
I still have it new/sealed with slipcover. I got it for $8.99 or $9.99 when Movie Trading Company was getting rid of their Paramount catalog stuff before the Warner deal kicked in, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #124
Power Member

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Hey everyone!

It's really a fantastic film and the aerial dogfights are pretty amazing even today.
LG SuperBlu BH200

SteelBooks™: 134
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #125
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
Enjoy it Great Owl! Good film -- the music and sound FXs are great (although cheating a bit for a silent!) and the action scenes are still thrilling. The "bubbles" scene was a little longer than it should have been for me, but that's a minor complaint. Over-all a really enjoyable slice of Hollywood history, really well presented.
Some original prints did have synchronized sound fx. And the creators of the BD were sure to use vintage period sound fx, rather than modern ones. No cheating here!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #126
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

I got my copy on Amazon for like 12 bucks. Enjoyed the movie, but it's too bad Clara Bow didn't have a more substantial role.

Last edited by RyanPom; 08-08-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #127
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

The 1927 William A. Wellman movie, Wings, is a masterpiece of fast-paced energy that soars to the top tier on my list of favorite films from the silent era. The elaborate timing of the battle scenes with planes flying overhead at the right moments while troops advance on the ground would be difficult to film even right now in 2013, and I imagine that the execution was quite a task back then. Given the historical prestige of Wings and its recognition at the first Academy Awards ceremony, I expected nothing less than an impressive work of 1920s era filmmaking, but I was nonetheless stunned at the level to which the aerial battle scenes hold up to those of any contemporary war film.

Wings is famous for being the first movie to benefit from the full cooperation of the United States military, and, like Top Gun and other such notable cinematic descendents, the film achieves a fine balance between depicting the tragic toll of war while celebrating the remarkable courage of the troops who sacrifice in the line of duty. An appearance by Gary Cooper early in the film is quite brief, but the scene's heartfelt impact sets the tone for the rest of the story.

Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers are both instantly likeable in their lead roles, and the viewer wants the best for either one during the love triangle drama that provides a vastly superior blueprint for the schmaltzy 2001 film, Pearl Harbor. The effectiveness of their roles onscreen is given additional weight by the fact that these actors had to fly their own planes during pivotal scenes. Clara Bow is not featured in the film quite as much as the Blu-ray cover art and her top billing would lead one to believe, but she exudes a wonderful combination of innocence and sex appeal.

Much of Wings takes place on the battlefield, on Texas military training fields that stand in effectively for bombed-out European trenches, and this film showcases the explosive terror of battle with the utmost technical brilliance. The pacing never slows to rest, even during a "bubbles" sequence that captures the amusing weariness of being around intoxicated people and listening to their giggly observations in a way that few films have been able to do since.

Wings stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best war films of subsequent decades and it did not seem dated at all to my eyes. Such a movie deserves top notch treatment on Blu-ray, and this is what Paramount provides by way of extensive restoration and digital work that follows precise production notations. A score option laden with sound effects is genuine to the intent of the filmmakers, given the presentation of Wings with orchestras and such special effects in various theaters of the time. The three documentaries are necessary viewing for those who want to supplement their appreciation with a fun movie with historical context.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 08-10-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #128

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

Just ordered this. Under £10 including postage from the US to UK on Amazon. Brand new copy from a trusted seller.

I know that she is only the icing on the cake but this is my first Clara Bow film to own.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #129
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintermann View Post
Just ordered this. Under £10 including postage from the US to UK on Amazon. Brand new copy from a trusted seller.

I know that she is only the icing on the cake but this is my first Clara Bow film to own.
Funny: Eureka/MoC is bringing Wings out over there in January. Don't worry; they're only offering a 40-page booklet and a DVD over & above the U.S. extras.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; ZTE (AT&T) Radiant; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #130
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Amazon has this for $8.96 right now. Can't pass it up at that price.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America