COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #721
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

DVD Beaver comparison is up - don't know if this had been mentioned earlier, but he notes that the theatrical version on the Scream disc is interlaced, whereas the Arrow version is progressive.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #722
Banned

Sep 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeon0 View Post
I was in the same boat, but my experience was markedly different from yours. My LF slipcase arrived damaged more than once (returned the BD a couple of times because of this). I reached out to Shout Factory as a last resort explaining my ordeal, asking if they could please send me a spare slip. But the rep told me he couldn't help me--unless I ordered from the Shout website. No thanks, I'll stick with Amazon, whose customer service is second to none. Some companies understand that a kind gesture multiplies tenfold in return; others don't.

And I wouldn't knock the big studios. A few years ago, a CD was missing from my Black Sabbath Black Box Set, which I'd bought from Amazon. I wrote to Rhino Records, and they sent me the missing CD as well as its Digipak case (which I didn't need). All I had to do was email them a copy of the receipt. Now that's top-shelf customer service!
It sure seems that Arrow are a lot more customer friendly (as well as offering better encodes) than SF.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #723

Dec 2013
Florida, USA

Late to talk about Lifeforce Blu Ray here but I gotta say after the recent Limited Edition Blu Ray for Demons by Synapse this release is just disappointing picture quality wise. It's kinda pathetic that Demons being a much cheaper movie released around the same time as Lifeforce looks much better on Blu Ray. Makes me wish Synapse had gotten Lifeforce instead of Shout/Scream.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #724
Expert Member

Jun 2013

How does the Cinema Cult release compare to Arrow's?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #725
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

If anyone is still interested in the (beautiful) Arrow steelbook, it is close to selling out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Facebook
**NEW TITLES NEARING OOP STATUS**
Attention film fans! 4 more of our titles have now been added to our critical list and are very close to selling out completely! The titles are as follows:

-Big Trouble in Little China SteelBook: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=286
-Hell Comes to Frogtown: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=269
-Hellgate: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=270
-Lifeforce SteelBook: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=246

Once these are gone they won't be reprinted so if you are thinking about picking up one of these beauts up we would recommend getting your skates on!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #726

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
If anyone is still interested in the (beautiful) Arrow steelbook, it is close to selling out:
Thanks. I actually did want to grab the steelbook for this one because I prefer the artwork.

Edit: The price went down slightly on Amazon UK from when I was looking last month so I went ahead and ordered it. Came to $31.49 US after shipping.

Last edited by Petey Parker; 04-01-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #727
Expert Member

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

Received my Arrow steel of Lifeforce yesterday actually...ordered it back during the website flashsale earlier this month. Very nice package overall and am really looking forward to both comparing the transfer to the Scream release and diving into the extensive extras that are exclusive to the UK release.
ISO : Original Capitol / EMI IRON MAIDEN Cd's from the 1980's. PM me.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #728

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Thanks for the heads up!!! I didn't get Lifeforce, but I did go for Big Trouble in Little China. I don't have a region free player yet, but considering it's my favorite movie, the steelbook looks cool and it has new interviews, it wasn't a hard choice to buy before it's gone for good (or at least before ebay prices).
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #729
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit View Post
Thanks for the heads up!!! I didn't get Lifeforce, but I did go for Big Trouble in Little China. I don't have a region free player yet, but considering it's my favorite movie, the steelbook looks cool and it has new interviews, it wasn't a hard choice to buy before it's gone for good (or at least before ebay prices).
If you have a Panasonic or Pioneer player, you can play it already.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #730

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Was searching all afternoon for vintage Siskel & Ebert reviews (video or print) for Lifeforce and am coming up dry. I grew up in Chicago, so apart from their TV show I would get to watch each of them separately on the local evening news, so they had a big infuence on me (mostly for the worse, regarding any cool genre pictures they couldn't appreciate) as an impressionable teenager with limited funds for movies. Since the DVD came out around 98, this has been one of my favorite movies, but I remember negative reviews is what kept me from seeing this when it came out. Any tips or links to original 1985 reviews?
All I could find was a Leonard Maltin review on Etertainment Tonight. He actually seemed kinder to this movie than what I remember from most critics, but he still wound up giving it a 5 out of 10, followed by a final damning comment by the hostess like "another one for the garbage bin". One of the youtube comments said it seems like he secretly loved the movie but was too embarrassed to admit it, I agree.
I also found that Ebert belatedly gave this film at least a partial endorsement (somewhat like what he did with Bladerunner) when Chicago's Music Box Theater revived this in 70mm last year. But it was only a headline comment on his site followed by another persons review.
P.S. Found a couple of 1985 newspaper reviews, which turned my stomach, especially the NY Times Janet Maslin review. I mean who thinks it's a good idea to send an old lady to review this kind of film. OK, I've known a number of hip, cool "old" ladies, but seems none of them get to review movies. Among the many appreciative 2013 reviews, I would recommend checking out the review on Slantmagazine.com. Some might think occasionally he reads a bit too much into it, but I thought it's pretty on the mark and insightful.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.

P.S. I'm not the best speller

Last edited by billyearle; 04-22-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America